Toronto Love Park | 3m | 1s | City of Toronto | CCxA

Ok.... We may have one small issue w/this fine new park..............its entrance sign. LOL

This is a new style for the City; the old one, compressed, framed, and with what off to the right?
1687790316340.png

Image sourced from BlogTO video.

I've never cared for the City current iteration of parks signage, it's less appalling that the garbage bins to be sure.....
It's not to my taste.

But this version is its own form of odd. I suppose we should be grateful they remembered to put a sign.... LOL

Edit to add, I suppose I should offer an example of a sign I like:

1687790903620.png

The differences to me:

Toronto's signs look cheap, visually cluttered and doesn't really say 'park' to me.

The above, is de-cluttered, no 'thou shalt not skate, camp, feed the animals blah blah' all over the sign. The use of hefty, natural toned wood and a dark green/black background makes the name pop and is well coordinated.

If we must have a list of every rule and by-law, it can go on a separate panel a few meters in.

Last edited:
First time at Love Park since it opened as I was away on the weekend. Btw I was wondering if anyone thinks that it is a good idea to start a Go Fund Me page to raise money to install the heart above the pond as originally intended?! Photos taken 26 June.

Above:

See @AlvinofDiaspar 's post here: https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/love-park-3m-1s-city-of-toronto-ccxa.28363/post-1961799

Below:

Ok.....I fibbed, 2 complaints.

No this isn't about the garbage bins themselves, ugly as sin though they are..........it's that they're on the @#$ @ lawn! It's a brand new park, if they had asked Cormier to get them a pad for the bins there, he would have, within the budget too, it's nothing burger.

From @rdaner ''s pic:

img_2732-jpeg.487939

Last edited:
First time at Love Park since it opened as I was away on the weekend. Btw I was wondering if anyone thinks that it is a good idea to start a Go Fund Me page to raise money to install the heart above the pond as originally intended?! View attachment 487938Photos taken 26 June.View attachment 487939View attachment 487940View attachment 487941View attachment 487942View attachment 487943View attachment 487944View attachment 487945View attachment 487946View attachment 487947View attachment 487948View attachment 487949View attachment 487950View attachment 487951View attachment 487952

They have definitely tinted that water. Good call.

A couple of notes.......

We discussed cleaning/filtration of the water a few pages back:

I have confirmed that both Ozone and UV disinfection are being used.

On the subject of the Waterfront BIA, they not only sponsored and will be looking after the park's movable furniture, they also sponsored the bronze sculptures.

I think it might be nice if a few of us sent messages of appreciation to the BIA to encourage more of this, both here and at any other new signature parks such as Rees.

Last edited:
I just can't get past the fact Toronto deems this garbage bin situation to be acceptable. In any park really, but in a signature park like this it's downright embarrassing to not have an integrated/designed garbage solution.
You are just scraping the surface with the parks department.. trying to run things on a shoestring budget and even then doing it poorly.

I have confirmed that both Ozone and UV disinfection are being used.

This reminds me of two fun little tidbits I gathered from a friend who worked on the project: one, the combination of treatment techniques was chosen over the standard basic approach so that if (when) dogs drink the water, they don't get sick.

Two, the pergola was over-engineered such that it has sufficient load bearing capacity to withstand as many Raptors fans as could conceivably climb atop it during the next championship parade (joke sort of being that if it were just the Leafs who played out of the arena nextdoor they wouldn't have had to worry about it, har har...). In each instance where the pergola touches the ground, it sits atop an unusually large and deep piling driven below grade.

This reminds me of two fun little tidbits I gathered from a friend who worked on the project: one, the combination of treatment techniques was chosen over the standard basic approach so that if (when) dogs drink the water, they don't get sick.

Two, the pergola was over-engineered such that it has sufficient load bearing capacity to withstand as many Raptors fans as could conceivably climb atop it during the next championship parade (joke sort of being that if it were just the Leafs who played out of the arena nextdoor they wouldn't have had to worry about it, har har...). In each instance where the pergola touches the ground, it sits atop an unusually large and deep piling driven below grade.

Three (bonus Pergola info) there are silva cells underneath so the vines can grow deep roots!

Do you know whether there's a watering system for the vines? Those roots seem like they'd be almost entirely under hardscape.

I don't know; but, I think it's fair to say soils in the park will hold water unusually well:

1687810312498.png

Back