News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 569     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 872     0 

St Lawrence Market

As far as I can remember, Parliament has been the dividing line between St Lawrence and Corktown. I don’t want the station to be called Corktown when it’s actually in St Lawrence. First Parliament Station seems a happy medium.

Reactions: DSC
Chris Moise has a website where residents in his Ward can suggest and vote on 'improvements" and is offering up to $750,000 to get some of them done. See PARTICIPATORY BUDGETING.

See https://www.chrismoise.ca/priorities Not 100% sure this is best way to get ideas but ....
Meh. I emailed him about an issue I had and he never responded back.

Chris Moise has a website where residents in his Ward can suggest and vote on 'improvements" and is offering up to $750,000 to get some of them done. See PARTICIPATORY BUDGETING.

See https://www.chrismoise.ca/priorities Not 100% sure this is best way to get ideas but ....

While its certainly important for the Councillor to have ideas of their own, and to consult professional staff and stakeholders, I like the participatory budgeting idea and have seen it work well.

There is a tendency sometimes, for staff to prioritize based on the squeaky wheel, or based on checking a box (does every neighbourhood have a tennis course within 'x' km.

Where sometimes, all people want is a drinking fountain. They'd be happy to have you spend $10,000 (the rough cost of a drinking fountain) vs $300,000 for tennis courts.

1/30th of the money and 300% greater happiness.

Sometimes direct democracy can be quite insightful. To be sure, it has its limits, but I see merit in the notion.

Meh. I emailed him about an issue I had and he never responded back.

While this could be entirely on the Councillor and that would not be acceptable .........

Its important to say, chances are your email goes to an account monitored by his EA or someone else in his office and email is then delegated to the staffer who deals w/the issue in question.

That's normal.

Remember, the Councillor has ~140,000 constituents, if even 1% emailed even once per year, that's 14,000 emails per year, or well over 30 per day.

Clearly, not every one can even be seen/read by any councillor let alone responded to.

That does not make it ok that the Councillor's office did not get back to you; but I would encourage you to follow up by phone.

I'd say that of any Councillor, left-right-centre..

Make sure you dislike them for the correct reason.

Last edited:
At the western edge of St Lawrence...

May 23, 2023 Watermain and Sanitary Sewer Replacement Contract: 22ECS-LU-02TT

Start Date: June 2023 End Date: May 2024 *Timeline is subject to change.

The City of Toronto will replace the watermain and the City-owned portion of substandard water services on Yonge Street from Queens Quay to Wellington Street. The City will also replace an existing sanitary sewer on Yonge Street from Harbour Street to The Esplanade. The water service is the underground pipe that brings water to your water meter and is owned by you and by the City. The part you own is from your house to the end of your property, the part the City owns is from the end of your property to the watermain. This project is part of the Council-approved 2023 Capital Works Program to renew our aging infrastructure, improve water distribution and reduce the risk of watermain breaks.

Later in 2023, they will start replacing the watermain on The Esplanade from Market to Parliament and a few of the smaller north-south streets..

Market St besides the St. Lawrence Market is still open for cars. It was supposed to close for drivers yesterday. Sad!
https://secure.toronto.ca/council/agenda-item.do?item=2023.TE3.40

IMG_2561.jpeg

@PinkLucy - 311 will not do much. I wrote our city councillors Moise. His office said it’s expecting to go forward to pedestrianise Market St. Today the road sign equipment to close have been placed to the north east corner of the entrance of Market St. Late, but it’s something.

By talking to the Moise’s office I wanted to find out if someone from the Market is blocking it. You never know. So far no evidence of it. We shall see!

@PinkLucy - 311 will not do much. I wrote our city councillors Moise. His office said it’s expecting to go forward to pedestrianise Market St. Today the road sign equipment to close have been placed to the north east corner of the entrance of Market St. Late, but it’s something.

By talking to the Moise’s office I wanted to find out if someone from the Market is blocking it. You never know. So far no evidence of it. We shall see!
There were (are) certainly some Market merchants opposed to its closure but Transportation were instructed to close it by TEYCC so it WILL happen - probably overnight tonight. (In fairness, Transportation are busily installing the CafeTO barriers and moving the Adelaide St bike lanes etc etc. )

The crunch will come when Staff report back on closing the street all year. The TEYCC motion had two main parts:

Community Council Decision​

The Toronto and East York Community Council:

1. Authorized the General Manager, Transportation Services to temporarily close Market Street between Front Street East and The Esplanade from June 1, 2023 to October 15, 2023.

2. Directed the General Manager, Transportation Services to work with stakeholders and the St. Lawrence Business Improvement Area to come up with solutions for deliveries and waste collection, as required, through the permitting for the closure.

3. Requested the General Manager, Transportation Services to consult with the Manager, St Lawrence Market Complex, Corporate Services, St. Lawrence Market Neighbourhood Business Improvement Area, the St. Lawrence Neighbourhood Association, and other City divisions and stakeholders as identified about the permanent closure of Market Street, between Front Street East and The Esplanade, and to report back to the June 22, 2023 meeting of the Toronto and East York Community Council with recommendations regarding closing this section of Market Street permanently.

Last edited:
The never-ending work on Wellington may be wrapping up!

Wellington Construction Update

June 5, 2023

As road and sidewalk construction works are nearing completion on Wellington St E our contractor will be wrapping up work within the next few weeks. Below is a list of outstanding items that will be completed within the next few weeks.

• Energizing Victorian poles on Wellington St
  • Removing temporary streetlighting along Wellington St
  • Building Scott St Signals and street lighting
  • Permanent signal activation of Church intersection
  • Granite seat-wall installation at church and Wellington intersection
  • Grinding/Paving of road (TBD)
  • General deficiencies throughout job site

Scott Street/Wellington Street E - REOPENED
Work at the intersection of Scott Street and Wellington has been completed and the street has been reopened to the public. Minor work will continue around the Tim Hortons entrance for the next 3 weeks as crews still need to build the signalized intersection on Scott Street. Construction barrels will be removed as crews demobilize from the work site over the next coming weeks.

88 Scott Tree Removal
Trees near 88 Scott Street were removed recently, due to design reconsiderations once the full sidewalk and curb were built. Initial City designs projected that there was sufficient space for trees and providing minimum clearway width on the sidewalk. However, once the design was built it became clear that a wider clearway was ultimately considered appropriate for the conditions at this location. The decision to remove the trees was made by the City.

The info on the trees on Scott is incomprehensible - the developers of 88 Scott were obliged under the site plan approval to plant trees to replace those they had to remove. The SPA came from Council, can some unnamed bureaucrat now decide it cannot happen? Will the developer be forced to plant trees elsewhere? For a City that says it is trying to increase tree cover this is NOT the way to go! Initially they announced the trees were removed because the condo board asked for this.....

88 Scott Tree Removal
Trees near 88 Scott Street were removed recently, due to design reconsiderations once the full sidewalk and curb were built. Initial City designs projected that there was sufficient space for trees and providing minimum clearway width on the sidewalk. However, once the design was built it became clear that a wider clearway was ultimately considered appropriate for the conditions at this location. The decision to remove the trees was made by the City.

The info on the trees on Scott is incomprehensible - the developers of 88 Scott were obliged under the site plan approval to plant trees to replace those they had to remove. The SPA came from Council, can some unnamed bureaucrat now decide it cannot happen? Will the developer be forced to plant trees elsewhere? For a City that says it is trying to increase tree cover this is NOT the way to go! Initially they announced the trees were removed because the condo board asked for this.....

I find it highly improbable that there is insufficient clearway with a tree pit in place........but just supposing it were so.......

I have a couple of thoughts.

1)

1685976755349.png

That sidewalk is pretty damned wide....but if you needed an extra 0.5M for argument's sake, this could be achieved by shortening the 2 planters that just out from the building, it would be quite in expensive to do.

Its a literally a 2-person crew, you remove the outer granite, then any underlying concrete/form structure, build a new end-cap, re-apply granite, 2-day job. Now those will likely be on the POPs/Private property, but the condo board/City could easily dod a deal. I would have checked the exact lot lines, but the shadowing on TO Maps makes that challenging here.

2)

1685976600740.png

Hmmm, where might I find an extra 1-2M in this ROW for trees? I don't supposed anyone noted that the parking on the opposite side could be removed, the road re-striped, and the curb on the west side shifted? Nah....

There were (are) certainly some Market merchants opposed to its closure but Transportation were instructed to close it by TEYCC so it WILL happen - probably overnight tonight. (In fairness, Transportation are busily installing the CafeTO barriers and moving the Adelaide St bike lanes etc etc. )

The crunch will come when Staff report back on closing the street all year. The TEYCC motion had two main parts:

Community Council Decision​

The Toronto and East York Community Council:

1. Authorized the General Manager, Transportation Services to temporarily close Market Street between Front Street East and The Esplanade from June 1, 2023 to October 15, 2023.

2. Directed the General Manager, Transportation Services to work with stakeholders and the St. Lawrence Business Improvement Area to come up with solutions for deliveries and waste collection, as required, through the permitting for the closure.

3. Requested the General Manager, Transportation Services to consult with the Manager, St Lawrence Market Complex, Corporate Services, St. Lawrence Market Neighbourhood Business Improvement Area, the St. Lawrence Neighbourhood Association, and other City divisions and stakeholders as identified about the permanent closure of Market Street, between Front Street East and The Esplanade, and to report back to the June 22, 2023 meeting of the Toronto and East York Community Council with recommendations regarding closing this section of Market Street permanently.
Market Street is closed. Furniture going out.

Back