Toronto 4340 Bloor West | 47.5m | 13s | Hazelview | gh3

ferusian

Member Bio
Reaction score
4340 BLOOR ST W
Ward 2: Etobicoke Centre

Development Applications

Project description:
This application proposes to maintain the existing rental apartment tower on the site, and build out the underutilized portions of the property with 308 new rental apartment units and amenities. The west side of the site, where the current surface parking is located, will be improved with a 16-storey tower on a six-storey podium (243 residential units) that has been designed to front Millwood Park to the west, Bloor Street to the south and Millwood Junior School to the north. On the east side of the site, a four-storey apartment building (65 residential units) is proposed to front Mill Road with grade-related entrances on the ground floor.

This site is owned by Hazelview Properties (formerly known as Timbercreek Communities) and was listed for sale two years ago by Colliers International.

Aerial view(s) of site from promotional video:

1606472453801.png

1606472470087.png

1606472480991.png

Millwood, just to the north of this site, is the public school I attended as a kid. I'm in favour of replacing the surface parking lot with a new building, but I hate seeing well-treed areas fall to the axe. Fronting Mill Road, I'd rather see a line of stacked townhomes which would preserve at least half the trees to the east of the current rental building.

I'm impressed; the additional building on the west is architecturally sympathetic to the original design. The east side addition, along Mill Road, is just run-of-the-mill so to speak, and that's where I hope the grove of trees might be spared anyway… so if there is community pushback over the density, and if the developer needs to give back a bit, then I would hope that the architecturally dull Mill Road building would be dropped, and that that area would end up being dedicated back to the City as parkland and POPS.

In addition to massing that looks awkward, I feel that the way it ties into the existing 'tower in a park' apartment block looks a little 'on the nose'. They reference the curve of the existing building and its balconies but it still sits uncomfortable on the site, impinged by the corners of the new block.

We have a front page story up about this development now, here, while a database file is now attached at the top of this page.

New rendering updated in the database! Some changes are made to the overall project stats.

The total building storey count dropped from 16 and 4 storeys to 13 and 4 storeys. The overall building heights decreased from 56.50m and 18.40m to 47.50m and 17.75m. Total unit counts decreased from 308 units to 241 units. Finally, the total parking spaces count decreased from 418 parking spaces to 327 parking spaces.

Rendering is taken from the architectural plan via Rezoning submission:

PLN - Architectural Plans - FEB 11  2022-1.jpg

Ok......

So here's something you don't see everyday....

The neighbourhood resident's association have got themselves a lobbyist on this one.

Details for Subject Matter Registration: SM32985​

Lobbyist's Name

Mr. John F Campbell

Decision(s) or issue(s) to be lobbied

In regard to an infill apartment building application in Ward 2 at 4340 Bloor St W, Etobicoke, ON M9C 2A6

Client: Markland Wood Homeowner Association (MWHA)

In the spirit of Christmas, City staff are keeping the agenda light for the first meeting of the Etobicoke-York Community Council in just under two weeks time. The agenda has 2 items so far! LOL

One of them, is a recommendation to have staff appear at OLT to oppose this application.

First Case Management Conference was held Sept 29th, full hearing is on tap for June 5, 2023.

Commentary in the report suggests a settlement is do-able here:

1668611301155.png

I'd hope the City would be good with the density, and would agree to moving it from the east building (for which the grove of mature trees would have to be razed) to a taller west building. … and yes, a high percentage of three-bedroom units should be proposed.

For those who missed it - "Holyday-land NIMBY-fest" at this morning's Etobicoke Community Council...

Speakers AGAINST the development included -

Kevin Crigger, President, Toronto Regional Real Estate Board
John Campbell, former Toronto City Councillor (and current Board Member Toronto Community Housing)

For those who missed it - "Holyday-land NIMBY-fest" at this morning's Etobicoke Community Council...

Speakers AGAINST the development included -

Kevin Crigger, President, Toronto Regional Real Estate Board
John Campbell, former Toronto City Councillor (and current Board Member Toronto Community Housing)

Councillor Morely is in for a long four years on the EYCC.

Back