News   Mar 28, 2024
 250     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 629     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 376     0 

Distillery District

The C word has been removed. It's now called "The Distillery Winter Village" What's a winter village? It's a Christmas market! lol

In 2020 it was still the Christmas Market, but the pandemic surge killed it before it even opened. Things were set up, but they ended up keeping all the lights off to discourage visitors. In 2021, there was some doubt if they’d do anything - so they created a limited experience, calling it the “Winter Village” to send the message it wouldn’t be the typical “Christmas Market” folks knew. So that’s held over, and I don’t think it’s part of some vast cultural conspiracy.

I’ll also never understand why some people get bent out of shape if “Christmas” isn’t used. If there is nothing Christian being featured, shown, included or mentioned, then it’s technically not a Christmas thing. If anything, Christian people should be getting upset about what IS using “Christmas”

Here’s a thing we normally charge $4 for the rest of the year, but we make it red, label it “Christmas” and charge $8. In the name of baby Jesus, what?! Protect your brand yo.

Also- from what I understand, the name change was part of an internal corporate conflict with Distillery management.

Matthew Rosenblatt was one of the guys who bought the distillery to develop years and years ago. He had long held a position in Distillery management, I think last one was head of marketing, before disappearing off the website. He was directly involved in bringing Burning Man sculptures (spider, spider, heart, peace sign) into the distillery and was hands on with arts events like the yellow flower fest.

When the market got big crowds, they brought in ticketing to mitigate and I suppose started the “Christmas Market Group” as a non profit. In 2021, there was a split, and that group parted ways with the Distillery. Because the non profit owned the “Christmas Market” title, the remaining Distillery management pivoted to “Winter Village”. Rosenblatt does not appear to be part of Distillery management any more.

So corporate clash not culture war.

The Christmas Market website still exists btw, but has no connection to the Distillery event currently enjoyed.

2E05DCE4-C239-4A89-B240-FD075FAB9505.jpeg
1F243595-7EF6-4989-A956-7577E6720A1B.jpeg

In 2020 it was still the Christmas Market, but the pandemic surge killed it before it even opened. Things were set up, but they ended up keeping all the lights off to discourage visitors.
All of this occured after the market was initially opened. When I was there on November 16 that year, the lights were very much on.

They started discouraging visitors a week or two afterwards, if memory serves.

52525822168_40da520693_b.jpg

52525548599_ed11bdd4c5_b.jpg

52524802347_3ed603a4d9_b.jpg

52525270621_c8bbbb711e_b.jpg

52525544569_7e4f2d5050_b.jpg

One particular gripe I have about the Winter Village, that didn’t really exist before- all the restaurants/food places that survived the pandemic by signing on with apps (and getting support from residents), have almost entirely turned off “pick-up” for the duration of the market. Even during off hours. I get why they have to- but it does feel like another reminder that the Distillery is NOT here for residents.

I spoke with someone who said that Deciem even turned off the capability to pick up from their location, which is weird because they’re never that busy and have an outer entrance. Smh

60 Mill St. Looking to get leased for over 21yrs? Hrm… Gee, sure hope it’s long term parking for car dealerships. Something to really contribute to the neighbourhood.
621FEF3E-2FB4-4D55-ABF4-879907E7C9A1.jpeg
36DB6AF2-5BD9-40BF-A1E6-9445E980C40E.jpeg

60 Mill St. Looking to get leased for over 21yrs? Hrm… Gee, sure hope it’s long term parking for car dealerships. Something to really contribute to the neighbourhood.View attachment 447630View attachment 447631
Here is the covering letter for the application.

Through it’s designate 2656510 Ontario Inc. and since October 30, 2018, the Distillery Owners are the leasee of the most southerly 15 feet of land municipally known as 60 Trinity Street (the “Property”). Enbridge Gas Distribution Inc. (“Enbridge”) is the legal owner of the Property. The Distillery Owners and Enbridge seek consent to extend the term of the lease of the Property beyond 21 years. To that end, please accept this letter and its enclosures as the Distillery Owners’ application for consent to extend the term of their leasehold interest in the Property to 99 years. The term of the consent being sought is 99 years from the date of the lease of October 30, 2018. The Proposal The Distillery Owners identified the unique potential of a former whisky distillery in Toronto’s East End, and invested strategically in the area to combine residential and office developments in the Distillery District. With premium stores and restaurant offerings they have created both a vibrant livable neighbourhood and an iconic tourist destination. The area was transformed into a walkable enclave of art, culture and community. Today, the Distillery District draws visitors from all over the world. The Property subject to this consent application is a strip of land, 15 feet in width, located on the east side of Trinity Street and north of Mill Street. The Property is currently vacant and underutilized. The Distillery Owners acquired the leasehold interest in part because the Property has the potential to supplement, support, and contribute to the vitality of the Distillery District. To fully and effectively integrate the Property into the broader framework of the Distillery District, the Distillery Owners will have to invest in and improve the Property. The Distillery Owners’ initial planning for the Property has identified a number of potential uses that will support the community, including a potential bicycle repair shop with covered bicycle parking and a train car style kitchen and take out food shop. Securing a lease term that extends beyond 21 years will allow the Distillery Owners to make the necessary investments in the Property to continue the planning and implementation of a new use that is fitting for the site and supports the Distillery District.

The Property subject to this consent application is a strip of land, 15 feet in width, located on the east side of Trinity Street and north of Mill Street.

Well this took a quick turn from dire to interesting.

I'm having difficulty imagining there being enough space for a bike repair shop or a train car kitchen in this little strip of land, though. Am I look in the right place? The strip of patchy grass running north/south where the 'do not enter' sign and the bench facing the blank wall is currently? Doesn't a sidewalk need to go there? Or is it talking about where the bus shelter is...

60-mill.jpg

Well this took a quick turn from dire to interesting.

I'm having difficulty imagining there being enough space for a bike repair shop or a train car kitchen in this little strip of land, though. Am I look in the right place? The strip of patchy grass running north/south where the 'do not enter' sign and the bench facing the blank wall is currently? Doesn't a sidewalk need to go there? Or is it talking about where the bus shelter is...

View attachment 447649
It is where the ENBRIDGE distribution hub is on WEST side of the street (or part of it). The covering letter is incorrect! Clear if you look at all the plans.

It is where the ENBRIDGE distribution hub is on WEST side of the street (or part of it). The covering letter is incorrect! Clear if you look at all the plans.
Ah! Thanks for the clarification, I don't know how to access the full document. Seems like there's a bit more space on that side, though not a ton. Will be nice to see what happens with this proposal.

Wondering how this will play out. City does the deed and gives the distillery a 99yr lease in the space. Distillery invests in something relatively moveable. Province- who owns the building on NW corner of Trinity & Mill- makes a play, then rips up the city deal with Distillery thanks to an MZO or something.

The extended lease is an interesting wrinkle in what will become an assemblage sooner than later I imagine.
AF58C254-A425-4FF9-B519-1FE2F1A8AF9F.jpeg

Wondering how this will play out. City does the deed and gives the distillery a 99yr lease in the space. Distillery invests in something relatively moveable. Province- who owns the building on NW corner of Trinity & Mill- makes a play, then rips up the city deal with Distillery thanks to an MZO or something.

The extended lease is an interesting wrinkle in what will become an assemblage sooner than later I imagine. View attachment 450631
The City are NOT giving anyone anything except PERMISSION to have 99 year lease - land leases are normally limited to 21 year terms. The land involved is primarily used by Enbridge and is where their 'gas pumping station' used to be, There are still major gas mains below ground. Here is the property map showing the site.

1673813557001.png

Back