Oakville The Wilmot | ?m | 8s | WP Development | Baron Nelson Architects

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
New condo project at Dundas Street East & Eighth Line in Oakville by WP Development:

wilmot.jpg

After reading up about them on their website, it was interesting to find out that Baron Nelson Architects was founded in 2019 by two alumni staff members of Teeple Architects.

Several Teeple related projects are listed on their portfolio. Looks like this was the previous design iteration for the Wilmot site:

One thing that I find curious is that the Wilmont sales website states under the subtitle "Project Overview" that it is 9 storeys, yet all other sources indicate that it is 8. Also, the original Town of Oakville zoning and approval was for a project with an 8 storey condo at the corner with three blocks of townhomes. The new renderings and the website seem to suggest that this has been replaced by a four-storey extension-loop to the main building. Have I got this right? Have the townhomes been removed from the project?

One interesting side note: the Town of Oakville archaeological assessment for this general plot of land between Trafalgar and Ninth Line north of Dundas found 32 artefacts from human activity within a 1 km radius that were dated to be between 9800 and 2000 years old! Structures from European settlement (indicated in a census map image included in the report) seems to have been located on the now disturbed soil underneath the outer lanes of Dundas.

Here is a link to the archaeological assessment. I love these reports, they are such fascinating documents.

One thing that I find curious is that the Wilmont sales website states under the subtitle "Project Overview" that it is 9 storeys, yet all other sources indicate that it is 8. Also, the original Town of Oakville zoning and approval was for a project with an 8 storey condo at the corner with three blocks of townhomes. The new renderings and the website seem to suggest that this has been replaced by a four-storey extension-loop to the main building. Have I got this right? Have the townhomes been removed from the project?

One interesting side note: the Town of Oakville archaeological assessment for this general plot of land between Trafalgar and Ninth Line north of Dundas found 32 artefacts from human activity within a 1 km radius that were dated to be between 9800 and 2000 years old! Structures from European settlement (indicated in a census map image included in the report) seems to have been located on the now disturbed soil underneath the outer lanes of Dundas.

Here is a link to the archaeological assessment. I love these reports, they are such fascinating documents.
There's a chance that if there's Chinese money behind this, and/or if they are planning to market to the Chinese community, that they are skipping the 4th floor for suite numbering purposes to avoid the association with a number associated with death in Asian cultures, hence the floors being 1, 2, ,3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. Or I could be completely wrong.

There's a chance that if there's Chinese money behind this, and/or if they are planning to market to the Chinese community, that they are skipping the 4th floor for suite numbering purposes to avoid the association with a number associated with death in Asian cultures, hence the floors being 1, 2, ,3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. Or I could be completely wrong.

Hi 42,

Thank is an interesting idea. Do you think it has been done before in Canada for Feng Shui norms? I know that 13 is sometimes avoided in Canada because some Western cultures consider it to be unlucky (but not all: to Italians, 13 is a lucky number). Oakville is still largely Euro-Canadian in its demography, however this will certainly change over time along with the rest of the country as it becomes more diverse. Coincidentally, the concept website from BNA architects states "The building is conceived of as a black form undulating against a neutral white background, capturing the movement of a Chinese Dragon dance". This design, however, is not what is used on the Wilmot sales website (as seen above in the thread).

Hi 42,

Thank is an interesting idea. Do you think it has been done before in Canada for Feng Shui norms? I know that 13 is sometimes avoided in Canada because some Western cultures consider it to be unlucky (but not all: to Italians, 13 is a lucky number). Oakville is still largely Euro-Canadian in its demography, however this will certainly change over time along with the rest of the country as it becomes more diverse. Coincidentally, the concept website from BNA architects states "The building is conceived of as a black form undulating against a neutral white background, capturing the movement of a Chinese Dragon dance". This design, however, is not what is used on the Wilmot sales website (as seen above in the thread).
You're right, the design has changed for this building, yet the sections with the gold metal balcony guards still resemble a dragon in abstract.

There are many buildings in Toronto, especially those built by Concord Adex, where floors 4, 13, 14, 24, 34, 44, 54, etc. are skipped in the numbering system, covering over both Eastern and Western superstitions.

You're right, the design has changed for this building, yet the sections with the gold metal balcony guards still resemble a dragon in abstract.

There are many buildings in Toronto, especially those built by Concord Adex, where floors 4, 13, 14, 24, 34, 44, 54, etc. are skipped in the numbering system, covering over both Eastern and Western superstitions.

Oh wow!! That's real interesting, I had no clue!! This could be the topic of an interesting article or research paper! I wonder what other places in the world would this happens.

Digging well underway. Photos from Jan 7th or 8th.
1673704553084.jpeg
1673704578054.jpeg

Back