News   Apr 25, 2024
 264     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

GO Transit Fleet Equipment and other

Apparently 206 is at Aldershot Yard being delivered back to GO.
Yep!

Images are not mine
67A85100-9938-4E36-B420-EA7DEC6A4B20.png
1D320383-6377-4C57-AB5B-E96BEE0C4DEC.jpeg

Still don't understand why they are upgrading 40 year old cab cars, while decommissioning (to passenger coach service) on ones that are around 10 years old??

Still don't understand why they are upgrading 40 year old cab cars, while decommissioning (to passenger coach service) on ones that are around 10 years old??
Yeah I question why they didn’t just send the Series VII cabs that were built within this century off first, the ones they rebuilt don’t even have washrooms.

OMG YOU DON’T y KNOW HOW HAPPY I AM😅🥹🥹🥹🥹🥹🥹
For being a GO employee, one would assume you would know when the first one would be delivered, and I thought you were mad that they were painted in the new livery.
Have you noticed they got rid of the green stripes on the front and just added reflectors instead? I imagine that makes you mad too.

Yeah I question why they didn’t just send the Series VII cabs that were built within this century off first, the ones they rebuilt don’t even have washrooms.
There is a need for more cab cars if they want to increase service. To order new ones are expensive and take longer. This is a good stop gap measure to make good use of what's available.

There are washrooms on other coaches, and regardless of when they were built they are basically the same. With updated HVAC, LED lights it gives them another 10+ years in service. Stop complaining that it's old, it works just the same.

There is a need for more cab cars if they want to increase service. To order new ones are expensive and take longer. This is a good stop gap measure to make good use of what's available.

There are washrooms on other coaches, and regardless of when they were built they are basically the same. With updated HVAC, LED lights it gives them another 10+ years in service. Stop complaining that it's old, it works just the same.
Complaining? I think you’ve taken my message in the completely opposite way, I did not suggest ordering new cab cars, I was simply wondering why the ones that were built in 2008 and are currently used as coaches didn’t get rebuilt first, before the significantly older Series II ones. I have no idea why you assumed that was a complaint.

I do find the comment about the cab cars being "40 years" to be a bit out of left field, considering that they are all being upgraded to the same standard as the new ones and all the refurbished coaches ride just as well as the new coaches. Unless you are a buff, there is really no way to tell the difference between a refurbished old coach and a new one.

All of the newer coaches, which have been demoted to passenger cars, have been so at least since 2018, some of them earlier. The cars which are getting refurbished now underwent much the same treatment, but since they're in line to be refurbished now, it makes sense to reactivate them now rather than to bother with the unrefurbished Series VII cars which are not due for refurbishment at present.

I do find the comment about the cab cars being "40 years" to be a bit out of left field, considering that they are all being upgraded to the same standard as the new ones and all the refurbished coaches ride just as well as the new coaches. Unless you are a buff, there is really no way to tell the difference between a refurbished old coach and a new one.

All of the newer coaches, which have been demoted to passenger cars, have been so at least since 2018, some of them earlier. The cars which are getting refurbished now underwent much the same treatment, but since they're in line to be refurbished now, it makes sense to reactivate them now rather than to bother with the unrefurbished Series VII cars which are not due for refurbishment at present.
Exactly. It's a matter of timing. The newer cars maybe next. There are still lots of cars in storage that need to be moved around.

Might be better to repurpose the surplus cars for the Northlander with different seats. If they are going to rebuild them and gut everything it would be easy to swap the seats to something more catered to long distances. New rolling stock would be at least 4 years out.

Because I feel there might be reliability issues. I've worked on 40 year old equipment and even with a large rebuild there are gremlins that pop up occasionally.

Also those newer ones ARE being refurbished, but permanently removing the controls so weather they are due or not a contract was signed to rebuild them afaik.

Exactly. It's a matter of timing. The newer cars maybe next. There are still lots of cars in storage that need to be moved around.

Might be better to repurpose the surplus cars for the Northlander with different seats. If they are going to rebuild them and gut everything it would be easy to swap the seats to something more catered to long distances. New rolling stock would be at least 4 years out.
No, the newer cars are being permanently refusibhed into passenger coaches. I may be missing something though!

Back