Toronto Hospital For Sick Children: Patient Support Centre | 99.06m | 22s | Sick Kids | B+H

Good to know this is in the planning stages.

Despite many significant infrastructure investments, as with transit, the list is long and much it urgent/overdue.

Princess Margaret is seriously overcapacity from what I here; Scarborough General, in some wings 2 generations behind, The hospital in Grimsby is on its last legs too.

It would be nice if some of the most affluent Ontarians would contribute on a higher level to the infrastructure need.

Jim Pattison out in BC donated 75M to St. Paul's hospital.

His net worth is round 5B

The richest Ontario family is worth about 8x that number.

A comparable donation would therefore be... 600M

Just a thought.
Just the same as the Juravinski's in Hamilton, they keep donating to Hamilton Health Sciences so far they have their names on three buildings one at St. Joseph, Juravinski Cancer Center, and Juravinski Hospital (the rebuilt Henderson Hospital) only one tower remains at the moment called The Nora Frances Henderson tower. Now I have heard they want to tear it down and replace it with a state of the art patient tower. Still keeping the Nora Frances name. (The original building was opened in 1954)

Today.
BE3A66A6-0E78-490D-B18A-2C5201C6AC48.jpeg
E944E711-5DB8-4E9F-AB42-366286BF7B2D.jpeg
3941AF7F-3814-4BB2-A5F2-3931FDF018FD.jpeg
BC344E07-F42D-4D22-A1E2-3B6A53433403.jpeg
5712CA7E-1EF9-4C5B-88B4-C9F2CF22CBF0.jpeg
8A13C355-BE45-47B1-BBAE-BA6CCD1C9F64.jpeg

In case anyone gets excited about that splash of yellow on the bridge, it's just a reflection of the yellow fins on the tower.

To think we lost this fun, steampunk-esque, Zeidler, bridge for whatever dreary nonsense B+H have vomited out is depressing...

View attachment 436754
Yup, the the original, plus the new bridges across Queen at the Eaton Centre and across Shuter at St Mikes, puts this new one to shame.

Also, the yellow fins are great… but the white ones? A big whoop-de-duh-uh. Those should have been red.

...it's one of those absurdities of where they needed the bridge to match the new building on the north end by making it no longer match the building on the south end. /sigh

Last edited:
The bridge has coloured vertical stripes, they are simply difficult to see from exterior as they are behind the Low E coating.

To think we lost this fun, steampunk-esque, Zeidler, bridge for whatever dreary nonsense B+H have vomited out is depressing...

View attachment 436754
Unfortunately PoMo is solidly in that "it has no value" phase of architecture. You are about 20 years too early, unfortunately. People are only just now really starting to love brutalist architecture and other mid-century styles again.

Yup, the the original, plus the new bridges across Queen at the Eaton Centre and across Shuter at St Mikes, puts this new one to shame.

Also, the yellow fins are great… but the white ones? A big whoop-de-duh-uh. Those should have been red.

Let me make those white fins red then:

E944E711-5DB8-4E9F-AB42-366286BF7B2D (modified).jpg

I noted some timelines for the broader Project Horizon (total Sick Kids rebuild) in the latest IO Market Report.

In so doing, I went back to have a look the project info on the Sick Kids website to see how it matches up and then back at this thread.

So, I'll post the info first, then I have a couple of questions.

1669147609323.png

1669147669544.png

I hadn't realized how far off into the future the final build was..........

At any rate, Project Horizon has 2 steps after the current building, the next of which is this:

1669147748124.png

Has this, to anyone's knowledge already been tendered? I would rather hope the description above for IO does not indicate that this component is that delayed.

I'm assuming (hoping) the IO timeline is for the final leg of the project, below:

1669147858643.png

That said, if it is, then then the intermediate project should probably have its own thread, unless we're bundling those items here.

Back