Toronto The Twelve Hundred | 29.32m | 8s | Fieldgate | Arcadis

What's up with all the tubing/piping in this shoring setup? I don't think it's something I normally see walking about the west end. -TY

What's up with all the tubing/piping in this shoring setup? I don't think it's something I normally see walking about the west end. -TY
One of the tributaries of the (lost) Garrison Creek ran just north of this site, and they have likely run into high groundwater in this spot.

One of the tributaries of the (lost) Garrison Creek ran just north of this site, and they have likely run into high groundwater in this spot.

From Lost Rivers, the old-school creek map: (Denison Creek was the tributary in question)

1666977275617.png

The newer map from here:

1666977669830.png

Keep in mind that the sewer in which the creek was placed does not rigidly follow the line of the historic creek.

That said, looking a the above, they aren't likely facing open-flow, but they are likely facing northward ground-water movement towards the historic creek.

If you look at the soil-type here, they are clearly digging through lots of sandy soil, that's indicative in Toronto of ground-water recharge zones where water makes its way into both the watertable and to nearby springs and creeks.

I've marked up this topo map to show you what may be occurring here. * please note that I'm not on the site and haven't discussed this w/their hydrologist people, so its just a moderately educated guess.

1666978802263.png

You can see the site is slightly higher ground here than the creek, and that there are lower elevations near the creek and of course, as you get nearer to the Lake.

Flow could be moving north-east to the creek, south-east to the creek or south to the Lake here.

I'd lean slightly towards the latter two, as most (not all) water in toronto tends to flow north-west to south-east. (a very notable exception is Taylor-Massey Creek in the east end.

From Fieldgate's IG:

Screenshot_20230119_173514_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20230119_173522_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20230119_173532_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20230119_173546_Instagram.jpg

The dude checking out the progress of construction in front of the gate counting down the days until him and the lads can hang out again along the future concrete bench to be built on that corner.
...to ogle all the babes on their way to the bars...

Back