News   Apr 25, 2024
 286     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Can Metrolinx PLEASE stop using Port Credit as a quick and easy detour method. It doesn’t work at all and if anything it frustrates people even more for those that just wants to head downtown. Why not just go to Kipling or even Yorkdale as an efficient method and communicate with the TTC to allow riders on for free as they have clearly done that in the past.

Words cannot describe how dumb this sounds when you tell someone that they’re sending you back west to Port Credit only to put you on a train that comes every 30 mins and is already 80% crowded by the time it reaches the station after serving the passengers on its own line.
They could run 8 car trains and short turn them at port credit and run them as gap trains.

You would need at least two trainsets.

I still think Bramelea is a better solution for Kitchener busses.

Interesting that the Port Credit diversion should come up, because the signage and communication around it is atrocious, too. The less charitable of you reading this story could say I did this to myself by not checking the service advisories before I went out, which is fair, but on the other hand, I shouldn't need to check a website to know about what diversion my bus is taking.

I took the 21B into Toronto and everything was going routine until the bus turned from the 401 onto the 403. I had no idea something was off; TransSee was showing all the buses were bound for Union, the sign said the bus was bound for Union, everything seemed a-ok. I've just come back from a 3 week holiday in Europe and I wondered if maybe in my absence Metrolinx had rerouted the 21B to Square One to provide a connection between there and Milton; while such a connection should of course exist, dragging the 21B off course for it would be a terrible idea and so on brand for Metrolinx. The bus doesn't turn into Square One and keeps going south. Getting up to ask the driver where tf we're actually going wasn't on the table as I was sat next to a sleeping passenger, but the closer we got to the lake the more baffled I became. Finally, the bus turned into Port Credit and the driver says we can catch the train into the city from there.

The fact that there was zero indication on the sign, no announcements from the driver or the robot lady living in the bus' attic is genuinely ludicrous. Apparently, the TTC doesn't show rerouted routes on their destination signs because they're afraid passengers will think it's a short turn and wait for the next bus to the correct destination which will never come. I assume GO has the same, or a similar, reason for doing this, but in all circumstances the fact that they can get away with this lack of information is absolutely astounding to me. The gold standard for diversion signage is in Brno, Czechia; I mocked up this display in their style back in 2016 when I was criticizing the TTC for doing just this very thing when Exhibition Loop was closed to streetcars, and they were short turning at Fleet (Lighthouse) Loop. The sign indicates where the vehicle is going, as well as quickly showing that the intended destination of the service can be accessed via a bus connection. Internal announcements could be used to explain just why exactly this is happening. Every major city of the world I've travelled to uses the destination signs to indicate in some way that the vehicle is going somewhere else or doing something differently; why, oh, why does Toronto always have to deviate from the norm?

1662245059669.png

On the way back the bus used the QEW and Erin Mills Parkway, leaving out the stops north of Millcreek Drive. I have no idea what the plan is for anyone who needed to get there. All in all a complete shambles. And never mind me, what if it's an old person with issues using the internet that got caught up in all this confusion? If the TTC and Metrolinx devoted a fraction of the time to wayfinding and communication that they devote to branding and other pointless wastes of time, we'd be a lot better off than we are currently.

As an aside, the SuperLo double deckers are probably the worst transit vehicle I have ever ridden. The soundproofing in the interior is virtually non existent (a plane is quieter), there is zero padding in the flip up seats for wheelchairs, and every bump is absolutely BONE SHATTERING. I'm old enough to remember the old GM New looks that ran in Toronto, and they were never as bad as the double deckers. And those were 30 year old buses; what excuse do these much newer things have?

Interesting that the Port Credit diversion should come up, because the signage and communication around it is atrocious, too. The less charitable of you reading this story could say I did this to myself by not checking the service advisories before I went out, which is fair, but on the other hand, I shouldn't need to check a website to know about what diversion my bus is taking.

I took the 21B into Toronto and everything was going routine until the bus turned from the 401 onto the 403. I had no idea something was off; TransSee was showing all the buses were bound for Union, the sign said the bus was bound for Union, everything seemed a-ok. I've just come back from a 3 week holiday in Europe and I wondered if maybe in my absence Metrolinx had rerouted the 21B to Square One to provide a connection between there and Milton; while such a connection should of course exist, dragging the 21B off course for it would be a terrible idea and so on brand for Metrolinx. The bus doesn't turn into Square One and keeps going south. Getting up to ask the driver where tf we're actually going wasn't on the table as I was sat next to a sleeping passenger, but the closer we got to the lake the more baffled I became. Finally, the bus turned into Port Credit and the driver says we can catch the train into the city from there.

The fact that there was zero indication on the sign, no announcements from the driver or the robot lady living in the bus' attic is genuinely ludicrous. Apparently, the TTC doesn't show rerouted routes on their destination signs because they're afraid passengers will think it's a short turn and wait for the next bus to the correct destination which will never come. I assume GO has the same, or a similar, reason for doing this, but in all circumstances the fact that they can get away with this lack of information is absolutely astounding to me. The gold standard for diversion signage is in Brno, Czechia; I mocked up this display in their style back in 2016 when I was criticizing the TTC for doing just this very thing when Exhibition Loop was closed to streetcars, and they were short turning at Fleet (Lighthouse) Loop. The sign indicates where the vehicle is going, as well as quickly showing that the intended destination of the service can be accessed via a bus connection. Internal announcements could be used to explain just why exactly this is happening. Every major city of the world I've travelled to uses the destination signs to indicate in some way that the vehicle is going somewhere else or doing something differently; why, oh, why does Toronto always have to deviate from the norm?

View attachment 425017

On the way back the bus used the QEW and Erin Mills Parkway, leaving out the stops north of Millcreek Drive. I have no idea what the plan is for anyone who needed to get there. All in all a complete shambles. And never mind me, what if it's an old person with issues using the internet that got caught up in all this confusion? If the TTC and Metrolinx devoted a fraction of the time to wayfinding and communication that they devote to branding and other pointless wastes of time, we'd be a lot better off than we are currently.

As an aside, the SuperLo double deckers are probably the worst transit vehicle I have ever ridden. The soundproofing in the interior is virtually non existent (a plane is quieter), there is zero padding in the flip up seats for wheelchairs, and every bump is absolutely BONE SHATTERING. I'm old enough to remember the old GM New looks that ran in Toronto, and they were never as bad as the double deckers. And those were 30 year old buses; what excuse do these much newer things have?
There should be more communication for sure, and with all of that re-routing I'm not sure if your ride is actually any faster.

The super LO's are not bad in terms of ride quality. There are a lot worse out there.

Reactions: T3G
There should be more communication for sure, and with all of that re-routing I'm not sure if your ride is actually any faster.

The super LO's are not bad in terms of ride quality. There are a lot worse out there.

I remember the rattle from those late 1980s high floor New Flyers. I never understood how those windows stayed intact.

This may not be the right thread, but does anyone know where I can find PDFs of the various different GO system maps seen in stations? As I pay more attention, I’ve noticed many stations use varieties of the generic service map that have differences which vary from small changes to entirely re-orienting the system for users. Hamilton Centre GO for example had a typical GO map but with the TTC subway lines on it, and the Union bus terminal emphasized bus services far more than the traditional GO map with a different line scheme/format. I think having access to these would aid in creating fantasy maps for myself, but also highlight how wayfinding and services are interpreted differently based upon locale. If anyone can help, that’d be fantastic!

I now have a Bi-Level Series 1 book from 1967 that has high quality photos of the water fountains they used to have inside the coachesView attachment 425128.

That's a good feature to have.

I want to see fountains and water-bottle fillers at every subway station (and GO Stn)

To me its not only great customer service, its a way to promote healthier lifestyles by not having to go buy a sugary drink, or the environmental harm of water in a plastic bottle.

That's a good feature to have.

I want to see fountains and water-bottle fillers at every subway station (and GO Stn)

To me its not only great customer service, its a way to promote healthier lifestyles by not having to go buy a sugary drink, or the environmental harm of water in a plastic bottle.
Those were the days before COVID.

Those were the days before COVID.

We have always had respiratory diseases and communicable diseases and the odds of acquiring one via drinking from a fountain have always been statistically speaking very low and remain that way.

Nothing has changed.

Science matters.

None of these proposed features ever made it to the Bi-Level, but it still became one of the most successful railcars in North America, with over 1,300 made. View attachment 425137

I knew the bilevel design could allow for high-platform loading with the entry doors in the mid level at the end of each car. The different seating configurations are pretty much a given. I did not know that they were designed for self-propelled or MU diesel or electric propulsion.

I knew the bilevel design could allow for high-platform loading with the entry doors in the mid level at the end of each car. The different seating configurations are pretty much a given. I did not know that they were designed for self-propelled or MU diesel or electric propulsion.
That was the original plan. There was a old photo of one with a pantograph.

Sadly, I have come to the conclusion that GO Transit is broken, and that no one with the power to do anything about it cares enough.

Back