News   Apr 23, 2024
 213     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 959     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 299     0 

Barrie Collingwood Railway (BCRY)

I would assume if GO wanted to use it, then it would be worth putting the diamond back in or something else.
Instead of extending the train from Barrie could they build a WYE on the CP tracks to get to Collingwood? That might be cheaper. It would require CP to agree to let GO use the line to Utopia.

Instead of extending the train from Barrie could they build a WYE on the CP tracks to get to Collingwood? That might be cheaper. It would require CP to agree to let GO use the line to Utopia.
What, and run a train up through Bolton? Seeing as that is the CP transcontinental mainline, I think it would take more than a connecting track to make that work (a wye isn't needed).

Other than the background work between the parties involved, the diamond came out in a day - it could go back in just a quickly

A quick look, there really appears to be nothing between Bolton and Utopia. It would be better just to extend the Barrie line when the time is ready for that extension.

A quick look, there really appears to be nothing between Bolton and Utopia. It would be better just to extend the Barrie line when the time is ready for that extension.

Tottenham and Alliston. But they’d only merit bus service (a weekday bus runs between Alliston and Bradford already.)

But sadly, any talk of GO train service to Collingwood is just fantasy mapping.

... For now.
Collingwood and Wasaga Beach are 2 of the 4 fastest growing census agglomeration's with over 20,000 people in Canada. They will certainly combine for a population of 65,000 by the next census. The Blue Mountains, a major tourist destination borders Collingwood and is populated with an additional 10,000 people with a rapidly growing population of its own. On average, Blue Mountain sells more than 750,000 lift tickets per year, making it the third-busiest ski resort in Canada, after Whistler-Blackcomb in British Columbia and Mont Tremblant in Quebec. But this would require a degree of forward thinking.

A future train service to Collingwood with potential extensions to Wasaga and Blue Mountain is a good idea, but the money isn't there while we're spending billions on RER.

This is an excellent corridor to preserve (my apologies to Urban Sky), but parts of it have already been picked apart in towns. We will need to reserve land for bypasses at some point, so might as well start doing that ASAP ...

A future train service to Collingwood with potential extensions to Wasaga and Blue Mountain is a good idea, but the money isn't there while we're spending billions on RER.

This is an excellent corridor to preserve (my apologies to Urban Sky), but parts of it have already been picked apart in towns. We will need to reserve land for bypasses at some point, so might as well start doing that ASAP ...
Bus service would be a good start. Hourly to meet the GO train at Barrie.

Collingwood and Wasaga Beach are 2 of the 4 fastest growing census agglomeration's with over 20,000 people in Canada. They will certainly combine for a population of 65,000 by the next census. The Blue Mountains, a major tourist destination borders Collingwood and is populated with an additional 10,000 people with a rapidly growing population of its own. On average, Blue Mountain sells more than 750,000 lift tickets per year, making it the third-busiest ski resort in Canada, after Whistler-Blackcomb in British Columbia and Mont Tremblant in Quebec. But this would require a degree of forward thinking.

That is why I say "for now".

Maybe a rail trail would be in order. Then when it really does become a need, they can put tracks back down.

It would be nice to see GO bus serving that area pluc places like Orillia and Midland. This could help direct where trains need to be added.

Linx already provides that type of coverage most days: hourly service from Wasaga Beach to Allandale station, Collingwood too with a transfer.

Evenings and weekends, and possibly improved advertising, would be a welcome addition but I'd not add a competing service.

Linx already provides that type of coverage most days: hourly service from Wasaga Beach to Allandale station, Collingwood too with a transfer.

Evenings and weekends, and possibly improved advertising, would be a welcome addition but I'd not add a competing service.
We talked about this. The Linx bus is useless for people who want to travel on weekends or holidays.

It's also not the most convenient seeing that the last trip leaving Barrie is like 8:00pm

We talked about this. The Linx bus is useless for people who want to travel on weekends or holidays.

Sigh.. So instead of lobbying for a minor improvement of an existing service you want to divide ridership by adding a second subsidized competing service?

Some days I understand why transit in Ontario is so poor.

Sigh.. So instead of lobbying for a minor improvement of an existing service you want to divide ridership by adding a second subsidized competing service?

Some days I understand why transit in Ontario is so poor.
Regardless of who serves the route it needs to actually run at times that people need it. It should also be extend to Owen Sound.

Regardless of who serves the route it needs to actually run at times that people need it. It should also be extend to Owen Sound.

A Simcoe County-operated bus service isn't going to serve Owen Sound, so it would be down to GO. A rail line to Owen Sound from from the east would be completely greenfield west of Meaford and have to climb the escarpment. Regardless, I'd have to be convinced there is enough ridership to/from Owen Sound to justify much more than a daily service.

The idea of preserving a ROW through Collingwood, beyond where the former BCR terminated at the east side of town, has likely left the station.

Last edited:

Back