Toronto Cherry Place | 55.7m | 13s | Rekai | Montgomery Sisam

Was the requested MZO ever issued on this? I think not which presumably means that no Friends of Doug are involved. It will provide much needed supportive housing and really needs to start getting underway! The City seems to be fully on board.
Honestly, the whole "friends of Doug" thing is totally over-blown. We ask for - and get MZO's in Toronto all the time for things like Modular Housing, Hotel Conversions, LTCs, and Hospital expansions - that have NOTHING to do with "friends of Doug".

We would need far fewer MZO's if our City's planning bylaws weren't quite so hyper-restrictive by default...

Honestly, the whole "friends of Doug" thing is totally over-blown. We ask for - and get MZO's in Toronto all the time for things like Modular Housing, Hotel Conversions, LTCs, and Hospital expansions - that have NOTHING to do with "friends of Doug".

We would need far fewer MZO's if our City's planning bylaws weren't quite so hyper-restrictive by default...

I don't think anything is ever overblown when it comes down to this mayor with his background and bias.

Only one thing is important to Doug,
DOUG.

This in the Rekai Centre's just published annual report:

The Rekai Centre at Cherry Place will provide a Home for 348 residents and is expected to break ground and begin construction in the Fall of 2022. Located at the corner of Front and Cherry St, Cherry Place will host numerous new amenities for the Rekai Centres. These will include: ➢ a 9-station Hemodialysis Clinic that can accommodate 54 patients per week ➢ an Education Centre that will educate mainly international students whose dream is to become Personal Support Workers (PSW) and Canadian citizens. ➢ a Rainbow Wing and ➢ two floors specializing in dementia care. The Home will have 13 floors and have views of the downtown core, Lake Ontario, and Lakeshore. Healthcare and dietary services will be provided to the Waterfront community to support individuals so that they can remain in their homes.

Permits seem to be coming too.

Application:
Conditional Permit
Permit Issued
TORONTO ON M5A 1G4
Ward 13: Toronto Centre
Application#:
21 176191 STR 00 CP
Issued Date:
Aug 3, 2022
Project:
Mixed Use/Res w Non Res
Work:
Partial Permit - Structural Framing
Description:
Conditional Permit - Part Permit - Proposal to construct an 11storey residential building. Parking and amenities shared with Building 373 Fornt St, E (Block 7)

and

Application:
Conditional Permit
Permit Issued
TORONTO ON M5A 1G4
Application#:
21 175625 STR 00 CP
Issued Date:
Aug 3, 2022
Project:
Mixed Use/Res w Non Res
Work:
Partial Permit - Structural Framing
Description:

Conditional Permit - Part Permit - Proposal to construct 2 - 13 storey residential building with one level of underground parking (Blocks 3-4)

and

Application:
Drain and Site Service
Inspection
TORONTO ON M5A 1G4
Application#:
21 175625 DRN 00 DR
Issued Date:
Mar 21, 2022
Project:
Mixed Use/Res w Non Res
Work:
Building Permit Related (DR)
Description:
Drain - Proposal to construct 2 - 13 storey residential building with one level of underground parking (Blocks 3-4)for Affordable Housing.

Update from the agenda for tomorrow's IREC meeting:

1664398080111.png

Spoiler alert: construction did not commence in fall 2022. And fwiw, the Acura dealership has signs on it that says it’s moved next door to 49 Eastern I presume in the Honda building. Could the Reiki Centre be expanding?
B877121C-C89E-4D42-8E25-E70412A215C7.jpeg

Though I suspect the answer would have appeared here already but I am wondering what is holding this up. I am not getting any younger!

The most recent public info on the permits page indicates that the shoring permit is under review; and that a code issue was identified and notice sent (to the builder) on Jan, 27th, 2023.

Just going like gangbusters here. I know the permits keep popping up, but is there any chance we can organize this for a community garden in the meantime? Yknow, before it becomes another parking lot.
IMG_3184.jpeg

Ok, I see @jsmith77 wants to make me look stuff up.........

So I went to the AIC page.

There, I found the following:

1) NOAC has not yet been issued, so permits ain't happening yet neither!

2) The last revisions were submitted in May 2023.

The only thing in the newest Arch. Plans is the Ground Floor Plan :

1690805939675.png

The Detailed Revision List was fairly small; and largely only dealt w/issues raised by ECS (Engineering Construction Services)

1690806076757.png

Unclear to me, why if this was all that was outstanding in mid-May we're not yet at NOAC.

So is this gonna turn into a funky friends of Doug Ford/Mike Harris kinda situation? I read up on Rekai Centres but in this province, if it concerns care I only imagine what goes on behind the scenes.

So is this gonna turn into a funky friends of Doug Ford/Mike Harris kinda situation? I read up on Rekai Centres but in this province, if it concerns care I only imagine what goes on behind the scenes.
Rekai actually has a very good reputation and AFAIK is not run by former premiers and their chums.

This seems to be going nowhere fast - it's all quite strange as the City and the neighbours all seem very much in favour and, last i heard, the differences were minor. No docs seem to have been added to the AIC info since early 2023

1693429169382.png

Back