Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

I have no idea what you guys are talking about, but this thing must be a game changer. Can I see on youtube how thing works vs antiquated systems?
You can have a look it up on the Doka Homepage:
There you can also find some videos/animations.
That's the system which will carry all the CPB, Mini Crane, Formwork, Gantry Crane, etc. and will hydraulically climbed to the next level by a single stroke cylinder.
It will be a game changer and you will see how fast the guys will be going once it's fully installed.

This might be more about the elevators than the formwork, but if I'm looking at that right does that mean the elevator core will have a steel structure erected first, and then infill slabs and walls around them? Or is it more minimalistic than that? Is this thing just going to provide the elevator rails and then they still have to form up the walls of the core around them?
So the thing is there will be an elevator core inside the Mega-Core (the one you see in all of the photos).
No worries, the core at the exterior as well as the elevator core will be built out of concrete.
You can't see the actual core for the elevators in the photos - there will be a floor crane attached to the climbing system which then can move and carry the formwork of the elevator core (done in a secondary pour together with the lobby slab).
I hope this more or less answers your questions :)

Did you work on 432 Park Avenue? I assume the Doka systems here are going to be similar. Cool to see a tower in Toronto using quite advanced construction techniques.
I didn't but a friend of mine did.
I worked on the Hudson Yards project in NYC as well as the CIBC Square, Bay and Adelaide, etc. in Toronto.
I am glad too they are using something more advanced than traditional methods to build a tower.
It's still a little strange how many towers are built without any kind of self-climbing formwork - this is the only major city I know where the industry isn't there yet...
But let's have fingers crossed for the future ;)

So the thing is there will be an elevator core inside the Mega-Core (the one you see in all of the photos).
No worries, the core at the exterior as well as the elevator core will be built out of concrete.
You can't see the actual core for the elevators in the photos - there will be a floor crane attached to the climbing system which then can move and carry the formwork of the elevator core (done in a secondary pour together with the lobby slab).
I hope this more or less answers your questions :)

Thanks for the extra info!

I guess what I'm trying to visualize is how the elevators are going to reach the top floor, if the elevator core won't have been poured yet. The way I guess I'm used to seeing it is the elevator core gets poured first, and then all of the mechanical for the elevator gets installed into that shaft. But if the elevator here is integrated into the climbing formwork that suggests that the mechanical for the elevator will actually arrive first, suspended or supported by the climbing formwork, and then the secondary pours for the elevator core and lobby slabs sort of encapsulate it all?

Today.
6A671E5B-4906-4ECA-A0A8-5BD1934EB86D.jpeg
05203F85-FE84-48B5-BDE1-E05C063D4D48.jpeg
D0046073-CBC6-4FDC-9BCC-6AFBC56E3F30.jpeg
56992458-CD2B-4123-B13A-4A7F64A2622E.jpeg
C39CE33A-FA49-49F5-85FB-C14998DC0249.jpeg
46A60C5A-0198-4BF3-BDBB-565C9F5D6778.jpeg
335F09D7-48C7-4686-91C1-E363FA1270C6.jpeg
6A6BBAF2-1EB2-4B7B-BF2E-EB08902798E1.jpeg
F355426C-8DF9-4ECE-8F07-584C145E320A.jpeg
C0EB77A8-F137-48C3-803E-A84F284FCAE7.jpeg

You can have a look it up on the Doka Homepage:
There you can also find some videos/animations.
That's the system which will carry all the CPB, Mini Crane, Formwork, Gantry Crane, etc. and will hydraulically climbed to the next level by a single stroke cylinder.
It will be a game changer and you will see how fast the guys will be going once it's fully installed.

Hi @Highriser_CAN_AUT , glad to have you on the forum. I was trying to understand how the rising formwork works, and it looks like the forms will be hanging from the blue structure, and the core is poured before being moved to the next level. My question is that there is currently 3 levels of the elevator core that have yet to be poured. You can see in below from a pic by @Benito from a few weeks ago when they took out the temporary structure to make way for this new formwork section. Will they be pouring all 3 levels from the currently level itself?

1655922464577.png

I have a dumb question. Initially they had those big iron frameworks that they installed on the each of the 8 perimeters. It appears they are no longer doing so. Just iron rods and concrete. Do they no longer need them for higher floors?

I have a dumb question. Initially they had those big iron frameworks that they installed on the each of the 8 perimeters. It appears they are no longer doing so. Just iron rods and concrete. Do they no longer need them for higher floors?

No question is a dumb question as long as you're willing to learn.

My answer is definitely not going to be perfectly accurate, but this is my understanding.
  • The super-columns in the parking structure and the initial few double height floors has a complicated framework in order to properly transfer the loads from the interior of the building to the super-columns.
  • In these initial floors, we have the column-less main floor, the massive transfer slab at Level 5, and the elevator cores for the upper levels of the building from Level 6.
  • This means that the bottom super-columns are bearing a massive amount of loads when compared to the higher up floors. This is why the super-columns no longer needs the big iron framework as the initial few floors.
  • Infact, I believe even the iron frameworks became less complex from Level 1 vs Level 2 onwards of the building. Further, as the building keeps going up in height, the plans showcase that these super-columns will become thinner and thinner.
See below for comparisons from the architectural plans of the building. You can see both the 8 super-columns as well as the tic-tac-toe interior walls are becoming thinner with the increase in the height of the building.

Level 5:
1655925962883.png

Level 8-16:
1655925503311.png

Levels 19-36 and 39-48:
1655925561615.png

Levels 49-54 and 59-61:
1655925616624.png

Levels 79-87:
1655925673678.png

Hope that helps demonstrate the reason the framework within the super-columns are changing as the height increases.

79-87 diagram is wrong for sure...

Not sure what you're referring to, here is the screenshot from the Architectural plans with the Levels identified in the bottom right of the image. Granted, I did use the image from Level 79 and labelled it 79-87 because Level 79 and Levels 80-87 are essentially the same. Apologies if that is the cause of the confusion.

Also, I am using the architectural plans from the 94 storey version of the building for my screenshots, if that's what you're referring to. The sub-penthouses and the actual penthouses are in Levels 88 onwards.

1655927423551.png

Yes but these plans show small units on 79 - 87.. these units are all LARGE high rise units 2400 sqft quarter floors.

it also shows the walls being thicker and more extensive then lower floors which makes no sense at all

You have a very good point. Error in the architectural drawings perhaps?
Is it possible the upper floors start to revert back to heavier interior sheer walls to deal with the combination of wind loads and also to support the TMD? I don't think the floors are mislabeled in the drawings because you can see the reduced number of elevator shafts serving the floors

Is it possible the upper floors start to revert back to heavier interior sheer walls to deal with the combination of wind loads and also to support the TMD? I don't think the floors are mislabeled in the drawings because you can see the reduced number of elevator shafts serving the floors
that seems super super odd and not likely

their is no way they put tiny units on those floors...

Back