News   Mar 28, 2024
 120     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

I think even just having a security presence will help people feel safer. I’ve been riding regularly since mid-2021 and have seen zero fare inspectors or Special Constables (or whatever they’re called now). Even a few operators I’ve spoken to don’t feel the TTC has their back in terms of safety on the system.
The TTC will throw their enforcement officers under the bus to appease anti police twitter loudmouths. They can't do their jobs anyway.

Yup a couple weeks ago some guy was causally smoking and loitering on the Lawrence West platform in broad daylight. Just take some precaution, hide any valuables, stay away and carry on.

I'm trying hard to dial back inner tendencies to spew hyperbole, but I will say that the TTC...has a very long way to go to recapture former choice riders such as myself. For most of the last decade, I've commuted to work by bike. The exception was the 2 years of the pandemic, during which I drove to work because my company was kind enough to pay parking expenses for all employees. Since that ended in March, I hopped right back on my bike to commute (30 km total per day). The only times I take transit are when the weather forecast calls for rain, and it's a consistently unpleasant experience.

Yep, i walk a lot thanks to the TTC, lost lots of weight (which is good) Few months back i took the subway, get on the train and i could smell a strong stench of weed. I turn around, and there is some guy on the subway puffing away on a joint. The other week a bunch of wannabe gangsta's got on, with a bluetooth speaker set to maximum volume playing rap music. The volume was at an ear piercing level. I had to get off the train and walked the rest of the way to my destination. I like rap music and other kinds of music but just not at that level of volume on the damn subway!! lol

Last edited:
I have witnessed disturbing incidents on the subway and streetcar including people who were not merely homeless but in an unhygenic state, aggressive alcohol consumption, and racial harassment. While I still ride, I will admit I am increasingly cautious about my safety - very different than in the past where I never thought about that even when riding late at night.

I have to agree that whatever security and fare checking I do see (it’s pretty infrequent) is either passive and ineffectual - or overbearing - or simply badly deployed.

Mostly I have just lost my acceptance of crowding, which I do experience again on bus routes.

And my own travel patterns are very much affected by the absence of streetcars attributable to the Queen-Roncy intersection debacle, which is not simply a service outage but clearly a failed project with no end in sight. Add that to past closures to rebuild tracks along Lakeshore and the Queensway, and look ahead to Ontario Line and other planned closures, and I wonder if we will ever see a 501 streetcar route again. One does form the mental image of a system that just can’t get its stuff together. And wonders why we are ordering more streetcars when there is little likelihood we will ever need the entire fleet.

I’m a pretty pro transit guy and yet I can’t give the TTC a passing grade on any of this. Sure, the system is not treated well by the pols, but any belief in being excellent in their culture has left the room.

- Paul

I have witnessed disturbing incidents on the subway and streetcar including people who were not merely homeless but in an unhygenic state, aggressive alcohol consumption, and racial harassment. While I still ride, I will admit I am increasingly cautious about my safety - very different than in the past where I never thought about that even when riding late at night.

I have to agree that whatever security and fare checking I do see (it’s pretty infrequent) is either passive and ineffectual - or overbearing - or simply badly deployed.

Mostly I have just lost my acceptance of crowding, which I do experience again on bus routes.

And my own travel patterns are very much affected by the absence of streetcars attributable to the Queen-Roncy intersection debacle, which is not simply a service outage but clearly a failed project with no end in sight. Add that to past closures to rebuild tracks along Lakeshore and the Queensway, and look ahead to Ontario Line and other planned closures, and I wonder if we will ever see a 501 streetcar route again. One does form the mental image of a system that just can’t get its stuff together. And wonders why we are ordering more streetcars when there is little likelihood we will ever need the entire fleet.

I’m a pretty pro transit guy and yet I can’t give the TTC a passing grade on any of this. Sure, the system is not treated well by the pols, but any belief in being excellent in their culture has left the room.

- Paul
TTC has no control over KQQR as its a city thing with Toronto Hydro with their head up in their ass as normally do screwing things up from weeks to almost a year delays. Even if TTC had control Toronto will still delay it like they have been. Until hydro is in place, other work can't take place.

I can only count on one hand where Toronto Hydro been ahead of the game or come in on time in the last 10 years for both TTC and Toronto projects.

The amount of homeless on TTC has increase over the years along with ppl smoking, drinking and playing loud music. Most ppl smoking, drinking and playing loud music are not homeless folks, but the ones who push the limits since no one will speak up let alone seeing enforcement. TTC is not the only system with these problems.

Enforcement and fare checking is a complete joke even before COVID, let alone today. Been a few months since seeing any fare enforcement anywhere on the system. Used to see them at Spadina for 510 and can't recall seeing any there this year. Have seen them at a few 510 stops.

Until you get another Andy, TTC CEO's will be a joke including the current one. By not have someone good at the top, all levels fall apart including the Commissioners. An Yes person is good at keeping their job, but no help to the riders who have to deal with a broken system.

TTC has no control over KQQR as its a city thing with Toronto Hydro with their head up in their ass as normally do screwing things up from weeks to almost a year delays. Even if TTC had control Toronto will still delay it like they have been. Until hydro is in place, other work can't take place.

I can only count on one hand where Toronto Hydro been ahead of the game or come in on time in the last 10 years for both TTC and Toronto projects.

100% Hydro is always late, and always causing other agencies/departments to be.......... there is no excuse. The current CEO should have been chopped years ago.

TTC is not the only system with these problems.

Enforcement and fare checking is a complete joke even before COVID, let alone today. Been a few months since seeing any fare enforcement anywhere on the system. Used to see them at Spadina for 510 and can't recall seeing any there this year. Have seen them at a few 510 stops.

I don't necessarily have a problem w/the honour system for fares, as long as there is a reasonable compliance rate, its a cost-benefit thing.

I strenuously object, however, to there not being adequate 'policing' of socially unacceptable behaviors.

I don't think there's a need to be heavy handed, someone being an irritant doesn't automatically (to my mind) merit a fine or arrest; but it does merit a clear scolding, and if that doesn't generate sustained compliance, out ya go! If this problematic behavior appears to be the result of mental health issues, lets have the right workers (mental health nurse/social worker) w/enforcement personnel and get the person the help they require)

Until you get another Andy, TTC CEO's will be a joke including the current one. By not have someone good at the top, all levels fall apart including the Commissioners. An Yes person is good at keeping their job, but no help to the riders who have to deal with a broken system.

100% again; I have no time whatsoever for Rick Leary. I don't think his CV ever merited him being installed in the job; we don't need to go into specifics, but people can feel free to google Leary and Boston's MBTA......he 'retired' after 4 years as COO there in 2009............ just sayin.

Pfft, let me help:

Last edited:

- Paul
You struck a chord with me re: streetcars. The TTC seems to hate them and wants to make sure they're as kneecapped as possible.
There never seems to be reasonable amount of time when most of the network is even running, particularly the 501, which seems to close down just as soon as it reopens after months without full service. Other closures, like Dundas showed absolutely no urgency to reopen.

100% again; I have no time whatsoever for Rick Leary. I don't think his CV ever merited him being installed in the job; we don't need to go into specifics, but people can feel free to google Leary and Boston's MBTA......he 'retired' after 4 years as COO there in 2009............ just sayin.

Pfft, let me help:

And to think the TTC used to be headed by Andy Byford, the commissioner for Transport for London.
Now we have some incompetent, streetcar-hating nobody from... Boston? Yeesh.

And to think the TTC used to be headed by Andy Byford, the commissioner for Transport for London.
I may be mis-remembering but was Leary not brought here by Andy B to be a deputy of some sort? This, of course, does not explain how he became CEO.....

If you guys mean the TTC has never operated the full streetcar network according to the map for an extensive period of time in the last 10+ years, I hear you.

Routes are either busituted or on detour. It's either track rebuilt, roadway constructions, watermains, hydro or gas lines. They send them on detours without any priorities to get them through work zones such as the 501/504 buses have to fight with traffic to get through the Rocy/Queensway intersection. They'll have so much fun getting through the OL work zone.

I may be mis-remembering but was Leary not brought here by Andy B to be a deputy of some sort? This, of course, does not explain how he became CEO.....

He was hired in the Byford Era, after leaving York Region Transit, he replaced Chris Upfold as heir apparent to Andy.

That was a real step down.

What input Andy had into that hire I'm not clear on...........

But its worth saying, when Rick got the job he un-did a number of Byford Era changes with remarkable speed.

Andy is far better off at TFL. He is at home there, both the staff and Londoners love him.

In Toronto he was beholden to whatever projects the Premier, Metrolinx and City of Toronto cooked up. He had to tow the party line rather than be sent packing. In NYC he tried to do good but the governor did not want to loosen the purse strings or deal with the closures required to complete work. In either case Andy did not have any freedom to do his job.

Now that he is at TFL, he is well respected and has tons of freedom to do his job. He has the support of both the mayor and the national government. He just opened the Elizabeth Line to much fanfare (which was no small feat) and has further improvements on the way. Even with a budget crunch he is still finding a way to make the system work.

I am happy for him and honestly, I am glad he ended up somewhere he is appreciated.

Andy is far better off at TFL. He is at home there, both the staff and Londoners love him.

In Toronto he was beholden to whatever projects the Premier, Metrolinx and City of Toronto cooked up. He had to tow the party line rather than be sent packing. In NYC he tried to do good but the governor did not want to loosen the purse strings or deal with the closures required to complete work. In either case Andy did not have any freedom to do his job.

Now that he is at TFL, he is well respected and has tons of freedom to do his job. He has the support of both the mayor and the national government. He just opened the Elizabeth Line to much fanfare (which was no small feat) and has further improvements on the way. Even with a budget crunch he is still finding a way to make the system work.

I am happy for him and honestly, I am glad he ended up somewhere he is appreciated.
I am, of course, happy that Andy B has his dream job and grateful to him for his time here but if you think being head of TFL does not involve politics and interference from other levels of government you are not paying attention. Boris is constantly interfering in TFL as, like here, they get subsidies from 'higher levels of government'. The following is from today.

"Rebel Tory MPs were on Monday urged to come to the aid of Transport for London as efforts to secure a final £900 million in government funding went down to the wire.
MayorSadiq Khan wrote to four London MPs, who were thought to have voted against Boris Johnson in last week’s confidence vote, urging them to now speak out on “government attacks on London”.

TfL is seeking about £900 million in revenue support to replace the anticipated fares shortfall for the remainder of the current financial year, plus a long-term deal on capital investment to repair and modernise the network.

Two weeks ago it unveiled plans to make changes to 78 bus routes, including potentially axing 16. TfL has received about £5 billion in pandemic-related bailouts but its current deal expires on June 24."

Back