News   Apr 15, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.1K     5 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 661     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

In Europe, I seen subway trains with screens not only showing the next stop, but next few others. It also tell how long it will it will be to X station. Then, some screens shows which routes are at those stations as well how long a wait you will have for x route when you get there. Even some of the trams lines are setup this way. Seen some lines also tell how long it will take to get to the end of the line.

As for Ontario, it will be the bear minimum since Ontario hasn't been keeping up to current requirements or needs.

As being ready for a stop, that is easy to say if the train is not pack or the guard not to quick on the door closing button. You need to spend time watching the accessibility community to see what they have to deal with not only getting off, but on to see what they have to deal with on a daily base.

We watch someone in a wheelchair getting off a streetcar yesterday and it blew our mind. It looked like the rider had MS or something causing them to shake and expected them to push the button to lower the ramp, but it didn't happen. They lower themself onto the road frontward and then pull the rest of the chair off. Too bad I never shot it.

As for GO, they announced the next station more than once which is fine, but no help for the deaf. A screen is useless for visual impair riders. Easy to add scrolling text like it is on buses at the end of the car if they haven't yet. There is only one car the accessibility community can use to get on with some riders requesting to be notify as to when their stop is coming up.

By the time you see the station name in the platform, it’s too late off you have mobility issues.
But is it required under AODA?

Though AODA requirements are only government regulations - which can be changed by the government without going to the legislature.

As for GO, they announced the next station more than once which is fine, but no help for the deaf. A screen is useless for visual impair riders. Easy to add scrolling text like it is on buses at the end of the car if they haven't yet. There is only one car the accessibility community can use to get on with some riders requesting to be notify as to when their stop is coming up.
They have that in the accessibility coach with plans to add it to other cars although that was in 2019 so it may have been delayed.

Its not bad; but its really light on solutions other than more money; and hold town hall outside of downtown.

There's extensive discussion reliability issues........route 'x' has inordinate delays; but without much detail of the 'why'; and zero on the 'what should be done about it'.

One route was noted as having 40% of its delays due to mechanical issues............ yet the TTC's fleet is relatively new, and much it is currently lying fallow. Is that route stricken by particularly bad buses? If so, do we not have some
spare better/newer ones of a different model?

What of the other 60% of delays? Is it traffic/congestion?; is it rider misbehavior? We need the answers in order to demand the solutions.

One story discussed is that of Amazon employees in Scarborough. As described, it sounds like there is no service targeted to the shift change there.

Just as the TTC has done with High Schools for generations, there needs to be an extra run or two or three at facilities that can suddenly swell the waiting crowd at a bus stop to 50 or 100.
Those 'extra' runs need to literally wait for the crowd, as oppose to being strictly tied to a time.

Delays on Lawrence West are mostly related to the intersection w/the Allen, both for congestion and collisions, something I've discussed in other threads. A fix is required, my ideal one involves removing the Allen......
But regardless, the status quo doesn't work there.

Eglinton West experiences similar issues at the Allen as well, though not quite as bad, pre-construction of the Crosstown.

There are, of course additional system-wide issues around reliability including supervisors who only make an effort to even-out spacing when someone phones TTC and 'asks nicely' ........
You're a tough critique @Northern Light.

To be fair, the article would be much, much longer if they went through detailed solutions which is probably outside of the breath of scope for this particular site (just by taking a cursary look at their publications). I'd expect a site like Maclean's or The Agenda to cover more details like that.

Not to say you're wrong though, because yes it wouldve been nice to see more solutions presented.

You're a tough critique @Northern Light.

Who, me?

LOL

To be fair, the article would be much, much longer if they went through detailed solutions which is probably outside of the breath of scope for this particular site (just by taking a cursary look at their publications). I'd expect a site like Maclean's or The Agenda to cover more details like that.

Here's the thing, I'm arguably more optimistic/less cynical than you; I believe that shortcomings of government policies/laws/budgets are very much fixable and can and do note where some progress is being made.

I share your impatience (and that of others) where progress is slow or absent.

I'm entirely fine w/righteous complaints, its hard to fix something if there isn't awareness of the need.

But I really am not keen on complaints that aren't actionable. If people aren't told who to hold accountable, for what; and where to look for solutions........

All you have is reason to be miserable, not hopeful. There's no constructive follow up to be had.

It may be too demanding to ask every person at the bus stop to look into these things; but I think asking media who can be bothered writing a few hundred words (or more), and talking to at least some
of the players/those w/answers) to ask thoughtful questions and share thoughtful answers is fair game.

If that make me a tough critic.............I'll wear it.

Not to say you're wrong though, because yes it wouldve been nice to see more solutions presented.

That's it . Give the readers something to go after. They spoke to Steve Munro who has a great deal more insight on the subject than was shared in the piece. Adding even a bit more substance; and a hyper link to Steve's site might have been
a good place to start. I also didn't see any questions directed to Rick Leary (not that he would provide a useful answer, but the effort matters).

bnr-constserv2.jpg

Notice of Intended Procurement
ecblank.gif
Solicitation
number:
Doc3497975693
Commodity:Construction Services, Construction Services
Description:Track Reconstruction - College St – Bay St. to Manning Ave, Church St/Carlton St Intersection, Bike lanes – College St
TTC Track Reconstruction (top only) – College St – Bay St. to Manning Ave, Elevated Bike lanes – College St – Manning Ave to Spadina Ave, Water service improvements and Road Reconstruction – Borden St -College St to Harbord St., TTC Track Replacement (full depth) - Church St/Carlton St Intersection
Issue date:May 26, 2022
ecblank.gif
Closing date:June 17, 2022
at 12:00 Noon

It will be interesting to see if anyone at the TTC remembered that a few years ago their Board agreed to add an additional curve at Carlton & Church 'when that intersection is remade'. They made a similar statement about Broadview & Gerrard but when that intersection was remade a couple of years ago nobody remembered. The TTC silos .....

bnr-constserv2.jpg

Request for Proposal
ecblank.gif
Solicitation
number:
Doc349355765
Commodity:Construction Services, Road - Curb - Sidewalk
Description:Watermain and TTC Track replacement and Road Resurfacing work at King Street W and Shaw Street Intersection
This Request for Tender (the “RFT”) is an invitation by the City of Toronto (the “City”) to prospective Suppliers to submit bids for:

Watermain and TTC Track replacement and Road Resurfacing work at King Street W and Shaw Street Intersection

For the City of Toronto Transportation Services Division.
Issue date:May 25, 2022
ecblank.gif
Closing date:June 14, 2022

Another disruption for the 504!

bnr-constserv2.jpg

Notice of Intended Procurement
ecblank.gif
Solicitation
number:
Doc3497975693
Commodity:Construction Services, Construction Services
Description:Track Reconstruction - College St – Bay St. to Manning Ave, Church St/Carlton St Intersection, Bike lanes – College St
TTC Track Reconstruction (top only) – College St – Bay St. to Manning Ave, Elevated Bike lanes – College St – Manning Ave to Spadina Ave, Water service improvements and Road Reconstruction – Borden St -College St to Harbord St., TTC Track Replacement (full depth) - Church St/Carlton St Intersection
Issue date:May 26, 2022
ecblank.gif
Closing date:June 17, 2022

It will be interesting to see if anyone at the TTC remembered that a few years ago their Board agreed to add an additional curve at Carlton & Church 'when that intersection is remade'. They made a similar statement about Broadview & Gerrard but when that intersection was remade a couple of years ago nobody remembered. The TTC silos .....

I asked @Steve Munro about this; he apparently inquired already, and shared that no, the TTC has not included the additional curves in this tender.

Sigh.

This reddit post says there are 2022/2023 and 2030 maps. These are not the same as from page 12 and 13 of this report, so are they available from elsewhere?
That may be the first time they've appeared; it's certainly the first time I've seen this style of map showing Line 4 connecting to Line 5. Hopefully by then either Line 4 or Line 6 will be planned to connect between the two branches of Line 1.

That's cute that they added the Scarborough-Malvern extenstion to the 2023 and beyond map, you know the project that literally has no funding or timeline attached to it. They might as well add the Bloor-Danforth West Extension in with that logic.

Hang on - the timeframe and funding hasn't been finalized yet for the Scarborough-Malvern (aka Crosstown East) yet. But it's an active project with design work underway to the 10% stage in preparation for the TPAP.

There's been no activity in decades on a western extension of the Bloor subway - other than access to a new yard at Obinco.

Hang on - the timeframe and funding hasn't been finalized yet for the Scarborough-Malvern (aka Crosstown East) yet. But it's an active project with design work underway to the 10% stage in preparation for the TPAP.

There's been no activity in decades on a western extension of the Bloor subway - other than access to a new yard at Obinco.
If there's no timeline and funding attached to the project, it's just cute lines on a map as far as i'm concerned.

Let's not forget, the city played the same game with the Eglinton West LRT extension before the province took that project back into their hands. There was no progress being made, and the city was watering down the project at every turn as the "studies" went on.

Also let's not forget, the city sometimes likes to re-open design work and play games (ie: Bay Street tunnel) even after they have completed initial very preliminary design work.

If there's no timeline and funding attached to the project, it's just cute lines on a map as far as i'm concerned.

Let's not forget, the city played the same game with the Eglinton West LRT extension before the province took that project back into their hands. There was no progress being made, and the city was watering down the project at every turn as the "studies" went on.

Also let's not forget, the city sometimes likes to re-open design work and play games (ie: Bay Street tunnel) even after they have completed initial very preliminary design work.
I don't see how this is any difference than the games Metrolinx played starting in 2010, when they cancelled the Eglinton Crosstown west of Jane, the Finch LRT east of Keele, the Sheppard East LRT east of Morningside, and the Scarborough RT north of Sheppard.

In particular in May 2010, they delayed the completion of the Sheppard East LRT from 2013 to 2014. The (suddenly much shorter) Finch LRT from 2015 to 2019. The somewhat shorter Eglinton LRT from 2018 to 2020. And the Scarborough RT (conversion to LRT and extension to Malvern) from 2015 to 2020.

Imagine if they'd stuck to the original schedules.

The city had 3 major transit projects under this plan. Yonge-Bloor is proceeding first. The Harbourfront East streetcar and Union station upgrade is second, with the design phase. Presuming that PCs and Tory both get re-elected, I'm sure something will be built east from Kennedy.

I guess if the "moving goalpost" Liberals and "freeze everything" NDP get elected, then all bets are off.

Back