Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

What I hope happens is that Metrolinx shortlists to three possible station names for each station, and lets the community or city vote. Local involvement like this would be pretty cool

What I hope happens is that Metrolinx shortlists to three possible station names for each station, and lets the community or city vote. Local involvement like this would be pretty cool
Nope, they'd rather pay consultants millions for names that we later find out are duplicates of other stations names elsewhere in the GTA transit network.

Unlike a TBM though, station names are (generally) permanent and I'm not sure if I trust what the winners would be. But I suppose it would be a sign of goodwill for years of construction too.

I'd suggest the only three that need names are really...
  1. King/Bathurst (Fashion District? Tecumseh? Victoria?)
  2. Queen/Spadina (Fashion District? Soho? Entertainment District?)
  3. Leslieville (It isn't in Leslieville, but almost. Riverside-Leslieville is too clunky. I'd go with Degrassi. In fact, I'd rename the Riverside neighbourhood as Degrassi too. It's just a built-in cachet that they aren't exploiting).

Unlike a TBM though, station names are (generally) permanent and I'm not sure if I trust what the winners would be. But I suppose it would be a sign of goodwill for years of construction too.

3. Leslieville (It isn't in Leslieville, but almost. Riverside-Leslieville is too clunky. I'd go with Degrassi. In fact, I'd rename the Riverside neighbourhood as Degrassi too. It's just a built-in cachet that they aren't exploiting).
Wheatsheaf would be a great name for the station at Bathurst

1) King West
2) Chinatown
3) Riverdale

Riverdale is the name of the old GTR/CNR station at Degrassi and Queen from 1896 to 1932. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riverdale_station_(Toronto) Though either DeGrassi or Riverside to me. I don't get why it would be called Leslieville. Heck, the Gerrard station is closer to some definitions of Leslieville!

The other one that needs a better name is Corktown. Which originally going to be at King/Sumach. But now it's at Front and Berkeley it's no longer in Corktown. I'd go with:

4) Parliament - presumably there'll be a First Parliament something-or-other here one day. Berkeley would be an option too. If Corktown is acceptable, it's the same distance to Distillery - which I'd prefer.

(though it was called Queen East from 1896 to 1907)

Last edited:
Right after "FOLKS!"

That should definitely be a high traffic interchange station.

We also need a station that's just Doug's personal cell phone number, because we all know anyone can call anytime and he'll take care of it.

1) King East
2) Chinatown
3) Riverdale
  1. Some definitions of Corktown go to Sherbroune. First Parliament would work for me too. I don't like King East and neither will Metrolinx.
  2. Chinatown works, although a bit south of it really.
  3. Riverdale works too, especially in a historic sense, but most think of it north of Gerrard now. I'd still prefer DeGrassi here.
Oh and Wheatsheaf for King/Bathurst is actually not bad @glambers!

Agree - re: Chinatown station - Garment District would probably be more accurate - but no one would known that name and associate it with the area.

AoD

1. Some definitions of Corktown go to Sherbroune. First Parliament would work for me too. I don't like King East and neither will Metrolinx.
Oops, I meant King West. That's the toughest station. It's hard to think of another good option than King-Bathurst.

Agree - re: Chinatown station - Garment District would probably be more accurate - but no one would known that name and associate it with the area.
I think something like Garment District would become quickly dated. Maybe even Chinatown too - though perhaps not as fast. Mind you - Corktown hasn't been Irish in many decades.

Back