Toronto 100 Eglinton Square | 119.5m | 35s | Lee Chow Group | IBI Group

Well this one has made to a preliminary report in good time......about 9 weeks...........

That may not be good news to the applicant though, in reading through the preliminary issues............but first, the link:

From the report.............a very clear sentiment, said 3 different ways:

1655737154914.png

Staff might not appreciate my characterization here, but I would summarize the above as, 'please sell the site to Metro so we can begin the adult conversation'. LOL

There are an additional slew of pro-forma issues........

Several reports that appear to be outstanding or not complete in a manner satisfactory to City staff........

And, quite rightly, in my judgement, issues w/the streetscape treatment.

Update on this project: City Council direct the City Solicitor and appropriate City staff to attend the Ontario Land Tribunal in opposition to the current Official Plan and Zoning By-law Amendment application appeal for the lands at 100 Eglinton Square and to continue discussions with the applicant in an attempt to resolve the outstanding issues

Update on this project: City Council direct the City Solicitor and appropriate City staff to attend the Ontario Land Tribunal in opposition to the current Official Plan and Zoning By-law Amendment application appeal for the lands at 100 Eglinton Square and to continue discussions with the applicant in an attempt to resolve the outstanding issues

Not a surprise; from the above:

1686504759946.png

1686504829872.png

1686504878510.png

1686504914810.png

In summation, I don't think the proponent actually has a workable win at the OLT right now;

- Fail on Shadow
- Fail on Wind
- Fail on provide ROW
- Fail on Street trees
- Fail on coordinate with bordering property owner (Metro)

The City easily has grounds here for a refusal report.

This will have to be reworked; as it should be.

Big waste of everyone's time with a less than 1/2 hearted effort on try number one.

Not a surprise; from the above:

View attachment 484448
View attachment 484449
View attachment 484450
View attachment 484451

In summation, I don't think the proponent actually has a workable win at the OLT right now;

- Fail on Shadow
- Fail on Wind
- Fail on provide ROW
- Fail on Street trees
- Fail on coordinate with bordering property owner (Metro)

The City easily has grounds here for a refusal report.

This will have to be reworked; as it should be.

Big waste of everyone's time with a less than 1/2 hearted effort on try number one.
let's hope for a better round 2 lol

For what it's worth, I know Metro has not been easy to deal with here. It's one thing for the City to say "the proposal should be coordinated", but if the other party doesn't care, you can't force them to agree.

I saw the rendering of the proposed North Oakville development yesterday and immediately thought they needed that kind of cohesion between all the Eglinton Square and Golden Mile projects, so I came in to see if there were any updated plans.

I'm all in on the residential mall projects in town and Eglinton Square used to be an old haunt, so it's disappointing to see things languishing. What's the biggest impediment here? 1. Interest rates 2. Instability for any office/mixed use space or 3. Legitimate concern that Crosstown STILL won't be complete in the 3-4yrs it would take to get a tower up. Or are some developers just reading the climate and thinking the govt. is going to start writing them cheques to "solve" the housing crisis any minute now, so they're hanging back? Metro can't be the only drag for this right? All the Golden Mile stuff seems to be in a holding pattern too.

These mall projects are the sneaky way to get15min cities in my mind, and the best scenario for folks to age in place (still bitter over Don Mills Plaza).

and the Crosstown WILL be functional in 3yrs...right???

I saw the rendering of the proposed North Oakville development yesterday and immediately thought they needed that kind of cohesion between all the Eglinton Square and Golden Mile projects, so I came in to see if there were any updated plans.

I'm all in on the residential mall projects in town and Eglinton Square used to be an old haunt, so it's disappointing to see things languishing. What's the biggest impediment here? 1. Interest rates 2. Instability for any office/mixed use space or 3. Legitimate concern that Crosstown STILL won't be complete in the 3-4yrs it would take to get a tower up. Or are some developers just reading the climate and thinking the govt. is going to start writing them cheques to "solve" the housing crisis any minute now, so they're hanging back? Metro can't be the only drag for this right? All the Golden Mile stuff seems to be in a holding pattern too.

These mall projects are the sneaky way to get15min cities in my mind, and the best scenario for folks to age in place (still bitter over Don Mills Plaza).

and the Crosstown WILL be functional in 3yrs...right???
Crosstown will be functional within 18 months (September 2025) well before any of the Golden Mile / Eglinton Square buildings would be completed or to be quite frank even start construction lol

Reactions: JBR
What's the biggest impediment here?

That it hasn't been approved?

This is one is under appeal to the OLT; the Merit Hearing is scheduled for May 21st, 2024.

Just had a look under the hood, this one has a long 'issues' list...........the City's Issues alone are 46 deep; but there are other parties to this appeal as well. Metro, Mattamy, Golden Mile Owners are all added parties, all with their own issues.

I'm currently reviewing the status of the other applications on the lands and will report back in the applicable threads if there is news.

Last edited:
Crosstown will be functional within 18 months (September 2025) well before any of the Golden Mile / Eglinton Square buildings would be completed or to be quite frank even start construction lol
Who knows it might take even longer time.

Back