Toronto 155 St Dennis | 184.8m | 56s | Cityzen | Hariri Pontarini

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm not sure what's going on here............but Dennis Timbrell is lobbying for something here..........

1652803651821.png

Seems a bit elaborate if the plan is merely for a new clubhouse or such.

But maybe that's all it is.................or maybe not............. hmmmm

Most of this course is in the floodplain, let's have a look at what land could plausibly be at issue:

1652803746917.png

There really isn't a lot of developable land proportionately, but it looks to be close to 3ha/ 10 acres still; but there is one incredible potential park dedication.........

1652804183326.png

I can see huge towers getting built here being close to the DVP and Eglinton's LRT route! Not to mention the view of the golf course etc as seen in the photos up above lol!

I'm not sure what's going on here............but Dennis Timbrell is lobbying for something here..........

View attachment 400928

Seems a bit elaborate if the plan is merely for a new clubhouse or such.

But maybe that's all it is.................or maybe not............. hmmmm

Most of this course is in the floodplain, let's have a look at what land could plausibly be at issue:

View attachment 400929

There really isn't a lot of developable land proportionately, but it looks to be close to 3ha/ 10 acres still; but there is one incredible potential park dedication.........

View attachment 400930
The community centre at St. Dennis and Deauville (very close by) is named for Dennis Timbrell. Although the politician is also still around albeit retired. Wonder whether it’s the community centre (?) or the politician lobbying.

I dug around in the Registry some more.

Tercot communities is the listed beneficiary (client)..........

'Other beneficiaries' shows a more well known name..............Cityzen.

Don't think this is for a new clubhouse.

Checked out the land registry. This is fascinating. The entire golf course appears to be owned by 1007454 Ontario Inc., purchased in 1992. Sometimes this tool does not show the correct owner if there's a complex transaction. But at first glance it appears to be privately owned, not public. Only the river itself is publicly owned. Will try to add a screenshot if I have more time but it's tough because there are multiple PINs.

Checked out the land registry. This is fascinating. The entire golf course appears to be owned by 1007454 Ontario Inc., purchased in 1992. Sometimes this tool does not show the correct owner if there's a complex transaction. But at first glance it appears to be privately owned, not public. Only the river itself is publicly owned. Will try to add a screenshot if I have more time but it's tough because there are multiple PINs.

A portion of the course sits on TRCA land (leased to the Course owners); but yes, this is a privately owned course, which allows the general public to golf (as opposed to members); it is not and never has been a publicly owned course.

Last edited:
A portion of the course sits on TRCA land (leased to the Course owners); but yes, this is a privately owned course, which is allows the general public to golf (as opposed to members); it is not and never has been a publicly owned course.
Thanks. I had misunderstood the site to be a publicly-owned (i.e. City owned) golf course. This is so very interesting. Very curious to see what might happen here.

Thanks. I had misunderstood the site to be a publicly-owned (i.e. City owned) golf course. This is so very interesting. Very curious to see what might happen here.
I am also curious as to what happens here.

Donalda, you're next! (A continuous East Don Trail from the Forks of the Don to Steeles Ave is my dream).

I am also curious as to what happens here.

Donalda, you're next! (A continuous East Don Trail from the Forks of the Don to Steeles Ave is my dream).

I certainly want to see trail through Donalda's existing footprint; but I don't think development pressure will be a driving factor there.

Simple reason, most of the course is within the floodplain; but, and this is key, the part that isn't looks hard to develop, particularly at density.

Below is the floodplain map for most of Donalda:

1652985105685.png

You can see that the tableland portion is largley next to the DVP and currently not accessible by a single road, any access from the east, would require crossing over/under the DVP, it would also likely mean upgrading a road, as a large volumes of traffic flowing onto a side street doesn't really work.

Access from the west is partially restricted by the Bala Sub. (Richmond Hill GO line)

The map below shows any path out to York Mills in the north would involve some real challenges too.

1652985341469.png

There's also no MTSA now or prospectively to ensure the kind of density that would tempt.

The only hint of that, might be a station on a future Ontario Line extension up Don Mills Rd, and there, as you can see, the course lacks any developable land:

1652985451383.png

So a trail up here is likely going to be a deal made with Donalda; unless the City were willing for fork out the $$$ for wholesale expropriation.

Last edited:
Fresh lobbying on this one, from another well connected Conservative.........

Peter van Loan, via Aird & Berlis

Client is still Tercot/Cityzen

Entry is listed this way:

1658754790301.png

More Lobbying on this one, now from Navigator.

But an additional client of note, it's now Tercot, Cityzen AND Greybrook.

And if there were any fudging left as to what was up here, I think this removes it:

1667316728678.png

From @AlexBozikovic 's Globe and Mail piece:

1667319574147.png

1667319693291.png

For the rest, find it here (paywalled):

Like Alex; I whole-heartedly endorse this as a win/win for the City. It's exactly what I discussed above; and with a Dream Team to boot!

Back