Toronto 5 Cosburn | 83m | 24s | Marlin Spring | Arcadis

Not a fan of this project at all. Disgusting how they are building a condo right beside small homes. Who in this world would ever want a 15 story condo as a neighbour???! No one. Condos need to stay far away from small residential properties. It should be a law.

Not a fan of this project at all. Disgusting how they are building a condo right beside small homes. Who in this world would ever want a 15 story condo as a neighbour???! No one. Condos need to stay far away from small residential properties. It should be a law.

I feel confident you won't find much support for that position here.

It's also rather problematic given that there are already apartments along this road, in fact that's the majority of Cosburn here; and they are already next to homes. Do you want to throw all the existing renters out and tear down their housing?

I understand an argument that overlook can, at least in normal circumstances, de-value a home somewhat.
Though, in the current Toronto market; and in this area in particular, the inflated value generated by the conversion of some of these homes to a taller form will more than offset this, making the remaining homeowners wealthier.

I'm not a hirise everywhere person. I recognize the value in a range of housing typologies.

Further, I can accept a certain measure of selfishness informing one's personal circumstances, even if the societal or civic interest lies elsewhere.

But for clarity. None of the homes bought by the developer were expropriated.
The owners sold of their own free will, presumably for a tidy profit.
Would you deny your neighbours that profit? Would you like it if your neighbour took that money out of your bank account?

It's important to be nuanced in these things. It's also important to know that there is very little chance of any homes remaining on this block in 10 years time.
Nothing is impossible, but it's likely most will find very nice offers at some point for their properties, and most will probably take them.

Last edited:

If the property were 30+ stories, I'd be sympathetic. But the tower is consistent with the scale of the buildings in the Pape/Cosburn apartment corridor.

I think the scale is perfect for the site.

A Request for Direction Report, seeing to oppose this at OLT is headed to the next meeting TEYCC:

Of note, the City takes no issue w/the 15-storey site...........

Nor the completely useless micro-park..........

But they are all over the massing on this one:

1649342475068.png

1649342517101.png

1649342540966.png

A Request for Direction Report, seeing to oppose this at OLT is headed to the next meeting TEYCC:

Of note, the City takes no issue w/the 15-storey site...........

Nor the completely useless micro-park..........

But they are all over the massing on this one:

View attachment 390882
View attachment 390884
View attachment 390885
At least the largest levels of the building here are V-shaped, so units won't have to be deep bowling-alley type layouts to get any natural light… …and without having the time to check further, I am assuming that it's only those podium levels that go over 1,000 sq m, so you would think that Planning would have some give in that regard… …but apparently not, or I'm simply wrong.

At least the largest levels of the building here are V-shaped, so units won't have to be deep bowling-alley type layouts to get any natural light… …and without having the time to check further, I am assuming that it's only those podium levels that go over 1,000 sq m, so you would think that Planning would have some give in that regard… …but apparently not, or I'm simply wrong.

Without going back and looking more closely, which I don't have time to do just now, I'm inclined to agree.

Though, I think worth adding (not condoning that rationale by Planning if it is the case).....the 'podium' here is 8 floors, which on a 15-storey building is over 1/2 the entire building.....

Without going back and looking more closely, which I don't have time to do just now, I'm inclined to agree.

Though, I think worth adding (not condoning that rationale by Planning if it is the case).....the 'podium' here is 8 floors, which on a 15-storey building is over 1/2 the entire building.....
At only 15 storeys though, the building's typology isn't really a tower over podium, but more of a modified slab… …and I still think that Planning is being too strict on this one!

I've heard about an assembly at that intersection that I believe is distinct from this one. There was a lone holdout that was holding up plans, but I think the assembly is now happening without them, and Toronto is about to gain another spite house.
Long time reader...first time poster. I remembered this post from a while back and I came across this: 16-26 Cosburn

Long time reader...first time poster. I remembered this post from a while back and I came across this: 16-26 Cosburn

I missed one when looking at AIC in the middle of the night............

I never have coffee then as I always have the hope, however fleeting, of getting more sleep!

Good for you for catching it, excellent first post!

New renderings are updated in the database! The project information changed in the database. The total storey count increased from 15 storeys to 22 storeys. The overall building height changed from 54.00m to 74.60m. Total unit counts increased from 316 units to 376 units. Finally, the total parking space count decreased from 192 parking spaces to 187 parking spaces.

The renderings are taken from the architectural plan via Site Plan Approval:

PLN - Architectural Plans - APR 26  2022-24.jpg

PLN - Architectural Plans - APR 26  2022-25.jpg

New renderings are updated in the database! The project information changed in the database. The total storey count increased from 15 storeys to 22 storeys. The overall building height changed from 54.00m to 74.60m. Total unit counts increased from 316 units to 376 units. Finally, the total parking space count decreased from 192 parking spaces to 187 parking spaces.

The renderings are taken from the architectural plan via Site Plan Approval:

View attachment 398665

View attachment 398666
City planning...cut down the parking, please. Why are we still doing 0.5 parking-ratios in 2022 on a site a 3-min walk from an Ontario Line station..?

Back