Toronto QueenChurch | 185.9m | 57s | Tridel | Kirkor

From an email sent by Tridel:

qc-wide-aerial.jpg

It would be amazing if this corner could look like this rendering.

It would be at least as amazing if the building next to looked even 1/2 as good at ground level! The ground floor height should match that of the adjacent heritage building, there should be brick, and a whole lot less glass!

From an email sent by Tridel:

View attachment 399470
The plain, solid masonry parapet above the cornice on the heritage building doesn't look right to me. Something's off. It doesn't flow into the corner turret properly. It seems too tall. And it needs some embellishment and/or some sort of ornamental, iron, roof cresting. I'd love to see a vintage pic of the building from way back. I doubt the original roofline looked like this.

The plain, solid masonry parapet above the cornice on the heritage building doesn't look right to me. Something's off. It doesn't flow into the corner turret properly. It seems too tall. And it needs some embellishment and/or some sort of ornamental, iron, roof cresting. I'd love to see a vintage pic of the building from way back. I doubt the original roofline looked like this.

You ask...........I try...........

Not a full view, but from the Archives: (date range given 1909-1929)

1652242049120.png

You ask...........I try...........

Not a full view, but from the Archives: (date range given 1909-1929)

View attachment 399629
There you go. Of course these was complexity in the brickwork and there was a corner pinnacle too. The plain parapet we're getting is a cop-out and it doesn't work. The simplified cornice shown in the rendering isn't right either. Sigh.

*Trigger warning for @ML555* This one is especially depressing since today there's a rusting chain-link fence in place of that gorgeous cast iron one.

Another view, you can make out the turret in this one. Unfortunately hard to find many good, clear shots of 60 Queen Street East. Either way, seems like we're getting a dumbed down restoration here.

252640.jpg

It's criminal that the cast iron fence wasn't preserved.

Agreed.

France is rebuilding Notre Dam.

I think Toronto can manage to cast a new Iron Fence.

We can re-build her! ( why did the theme from Bionic Man just pop into my head?)

The carelessness surrounding historical objects in this country astounds me. We tear down gorgeous aspects of our public realm to pave them over with concrete. There's just a general lack of awareness or caring when it comes to building the public realm in this country, which includes examples like this where something that previously positively contributed was removed for no good reason.

End rant.

The carelessness surrounding historical objects in this country astounds me. We tear down gorgeous aspects of our public realm to pave them over with concrete. There's just a general lack of awareness or caring when it comes to building the public realm in this country, which includes examples like this where something that previously positively contributed was removed for no good reason.

End rant.

This is how I feel about the Dominion building. Not that they're tearing it down, but just the idea that there was even a proposal allowed to have two towers coming out it. I get it, if the building doesn't need to function for what it was originally designed for, fine, reno the inside of the building and re-purpose it. Other then restoring this building, it shouldn't touched period.

End rant.
Curious about your feelings regarding the St. Lawrence Centre?

Back