News   Apr 24, 2024
 926     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 610     0 

2022 43rd Ontario general election (June 2, 2022)

My understanding was that they committed to not cancelling any projects that are shovel ready... sheppard subway extension is not close to shovel ready or shovels in the ground. Can you share the source ?

The platform, which I linked above, reads thusly:

1652115530385.png

Well, as it turned out, we got a both/and result: NDP in Official Opposition...
Yes, but what did the NDP do during these years in opposition? With over 1. 3 million Covid cases and over thirteen thousand dead, mainly among unprotected LTC resident and neglected "essential" low skilled new Canadians, the OPCs should have been feeling the rage of Ontarians and of the NDP in opposition. But under Horvath the Official Opposition pretty much gave the OPCs a free pass.

Under Horvath the NDP did its best since Rae's 1990 victory, but the upward tick is not a trend. I predict what we're more seeing is a repeat of 2011's Federal NDP's reaching Official Opposition, only to be knocked down to third party status in the next election. Horvath had her chance, first of all she should have beaten a deeply personally unpopular Doug Ford. Instead we get warm and fuzzy Doug, blech and Horvath is toast.

Yes, but what did the NDP do during these years in opposition? With over 1. 3 million Covid cases and over thirteen thousand dead, mainly among unprotected LTC resident and neglected "essential" low skilled new Canadians, the OPCs should have been feeling the rage of Ontarians and of the NDP in opposition. But under Horvath the Official Opposition pretty much gave the OPCs a free pass.

Under Horvath the NDP did its best since Rae's 1990 victory, but the upward tick is not a trend. I predict what we're more seeing is a repeat of 2011's Federal NDP's reaching Official Opposition, only to be knocked down to third party status in the next election. Horvath had her chance, first of all she should have beaten a deeply personally unpopular Doug Ford. Instead we get warm and fuzzy Doug, blech and Horvath is toast.

Andrea is the reason I left the ONDP. I was on the Riding Executive for Scarborough Southwest in 2011 and was less than amused by her antics in 2011 election. I voiced my concerns about her leadership and got ostracized by the Riding Executive.

I said it back then and I will say it again, Andrea is a lame duck leader. She is not an effective leader, never was an effective leader and will never be an effective leader. She focuses far too much on Northern Ontario and Southwestern Ontario which are very much different than Eastern Ontario and the GTA. You cannot win an election by focusing on Northern Ontario and Southwestern Ontario.

The problem is that the ONDP is almost like a cult. The leader is worshipped, can do no wrong and must be supported by any and all means. ONDP supporters are indoctrinated to donate to the party and support various campaign efforts, they get a multitude of emails asking for donations quite regularly.

If you speak out against the leader, you are banished from the party.

Personally, I think Andrea should have been turfed a very long time ago but no matter how many times she loses, her leadership is confirmed by party members.

HOW DO THE LIBERALS HAVE A PLATFORM THAT IS MORE APPEALING THAN THE NDP?
I'm in Toronto Centre and have voted NDP the last three provincial elections, and NDP in the last two federal elections (voted Green once). But the Liberals could run a mannequin and I'd vote for that before I cast a vote for Wong-Tam. With the riding's parks filled with trash and abandoned encampments, with resident associations needing to hire them own security force to control the thieving, with overt drug dealing/use, with clear violations of the SSA with beggars walking right up the middle traffic to knock on windows, with once well maintained bike lane infrastructure fallen into disrepair; a more useless city councilor would be hard to find. I can only assume she'd be equally useless on provincial matters.

Last edited:
I'm in Toronto Centre and have voted NDP the last three provincial elections, and NDP in the last two federal elections (voted Green once). But the Liberals could run a mannequin and I'd vote for that before I cast a vote for Wong-Tam. With the riding's parks filled with trash and abandoned encampments, with resident associations needing to hire them own security force to control the thieving, with overt drug dealing/use, with clear violations of the SSA with beggars walking right up the middle traffic to knock on windows, with once well maintained bike lane infrastructure fallen into disrepair; a more useless city councilor would be hard to find. I can only assume she'd be equally useless on provincial matters.

Kristen Wong-Tam never struck me as entirely competent. She struck me more like the grassroots, activist type which is a perfect fit for the NDP.

I worked in Toronto-Centre, doing Condo Security and I know exactly what you are referring to. The City of Toronto safe injection site at Victoria and Dundas created a whole host of problems for us, we regularly had "locals" smoking crack in our lobbies. She did nothing for the area and her activism based policies caused more problems than anything.

Andrea is the reason I left the ONDP. I was on the Riding Executive for Scarborough Southwest in 2011 and was less than amused by her antics in 2011 election. I voiced my concerns about her leadership and got ostracized by the Riding Executive.

I said it back then and I will say it again, Andrea is a lame duck leader. She is not an effective leader, never was an effective leader and will never be an effective leader. She focuses far too much on Northern Ontario and Southwestern Ontario which are very much different than Eastern Ontario and the GTA. You cannot win an election by focusing on Northern Ontario and Southwestern Ontario.

The problem is that the ONDP is almost like a cult. The leader is worshipped, can do no wrong and must be supported by any and all means. ONDP supporters are indoctrinated to donate to the party and support various campaign efforts, they get a multitude of emails asking for donations quite regularly.

If you speak out against the leader, you are banished from the party.

Personally, I think Andrea should have been turfed a very long time ago but no matter how many times she loses, her leadership is confirmed by party members.
*However*, aside from your own experiences, if you look at where the party is now under Andrea compared to where it was in 2011, you have to say that it's in a *much* better place. And if you think she's still a lame duck, let me tell you this: given *all* the obstacles in place blocking the ONDP from power, it's hard for me to see who else might have done better, regardless of whether it served *your* presumed high principle.

So maybe you just chose the wrong party--and you have a little insight now as to why the classic Ontario Lib/Con Binary Of Viable Power came to be.

And also, re the focussing too much on Northern & SW Ontario: actually, that pertained more to the '11 and '14 elections. Her '18 breakthroughs came through her actually "discovering" Eastern Ontario and the GTA, after blowing them in '14.

And finally, even if she falls back from '18, I doubt it'll be back to a '11 level of a 10-seat caucus. Indeed, as goes Scarborough Southwest today, whatever the unfortunate blown-candidacy shenanigans in '11, I'd think there's a reasonable chance that Doly Begum will be reelected, unless Ford Nation's even more landslide gangbusters than it was in '18 or Del Duca-mania goes into overdrive...

So maybe you just chose the wrong party--and you have a little insight now as to why the classic Ontario Lib/Con Binary Of Viable Power came to be.

No. I just had more interest in the federal wing of the party. I just don't like the way things are done with the ONDP.

And finally, even if she falls back from '18, I doubt it'll be back to a '11 level of a 10-seat caucus. Indeed, as goes Scarborough Southwest today, whatever the unfortunate blown-candidacy shenanigans in '11, I'd think there's a reasonable chance that Doly Begum will be reelected, unless Ford Nation's even more landslide gangbusters than it was in '18 or Del Duca-mania goes into overdrive

No doubt in my mind Doly will win. She is already the most visible candidate in the riding and she's well liked.

Barring a racially infused religious tirade the riding is a lock for the NDP

I just caught the last half hour of the leaders’ debate in Northern Ontario. I didn’t hear anything new, interesting or inspiring.

Any one poll can always be an outlier, and we also have a few weeks left in the campaign..........but I still think this Nanos poll is noteworthy for showing the PCs below 36% which I think, is a first in this campaign period.

1652209935669.png

Other pollsters are showing a similar trendline, though a slightly higher number thus far.

At 35% its unlikely (but not impossible) they would get a majority.

Question is... if Doug Ford gets a minority can he stay on as leader?

Certainly not, especially because a PC minority would get the Liberals and NDP to make a deal to govern together. No way he'd politically survive such a development.

I'd love to see his fat ass finally get deservedly turfed.

I'd take the NDP's pearl clutching on this a bit more seriously if I knew they hadn't been sitting on this for who knows how long, saving it to be used as a cynical election tactic.

Back