News   Apr 24, 2024
 691     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 892     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 559     0 

2022 43rd Ontario general election (June 2, 2022)

thats litterally political suicide. theres a christian base in ontario who would litterally never vote for that.
At this point, it’s not the catholic base. Catholicism is on the decline in Ontario, and that's only gonna keep happening.

It’s the people who currently view the Catholic system like publically funded private school and it's been that way for decades. The kids wear uniforms, they're more strict and there’s more funding per student.
Non-catholic enrolment is now encouraged in a growing number of Catholic boards (they can't legally ask for proof of Catholic faith anyway) as overall enrolment has been on the decline for a long time. Funding per school is based on previous the year's enrolment, meaning a school system with a shrinking percentage of overall provincial enrolment is going to be able to spend more money per kid vs the non-catholic system which conversely gets underfunded.

I'm pretty confident that Ford will win again - and possibly a majority as well. Most of my friends whom were financially adversely affected in the past 2 years have eaten up Ford's bribes, and promises of more highways and transit.

At this point, it’s not the catholic base. Catholicism is on the decline in Ontario, and that's only gonna keep happening.

There was a marked declined of ~6-7% from the 2000 to 2014; but enrollment in anglo-separate schools is actually up since then, albeit only marginally at ~6,000 (as at 2020/21, which is the most recent year I could grab)

It’s the people who currently view the Catholic system like publically funded private school and it's been that way for decades. .....

I think French Immersion is increasingly filling this role.......

Worth adding, several public schools have adopted uniforms............I take a mixed view on that.......

Catholic elementary schools require a baptismal certificate, but secondary schools do not. This was part of the compromise when Davis introduced full funding of the Catholic system after Grade 10 in the 1980s.

Yes, though important to say there are lots of on-the-ground exceptions.

Take a look at the Peterborough Separate Board's Admission policy:

From the above:

1651897459373.png

1651897486098.png

Edit to add:

This article sheds light on the above board and notes that 20% of Catholic Elementary Students are not Catholic.

Yet I don't know--there's this perspective that seems to constantly want to accentuate the negative when it comes to Horwath's supposedly "failed" leadership. Even re the 2018 Orange wave, it's like "yeah, but she still lost". And of course, it'd seem like this wall of overwrought "Andrea the loser" judgment is virtually exclusively male...
To follow up on this. I even remember a POV expressed in '18--even when Horwath was already overtaking Wynne in some polls, or coming close to it--of "Andrea, same old Andrea, *meh* as always; but watch Mike Schreiner, he's got a good platform, he could go places".

Well, as it turned out, we got a both/and result: NDP in Official Opposition, and Schreiner w/the first Queen's Park Green seat ever. Still, other than to greenish-left policy-wonks it's not like Schreiner's a scintillating, charismatic alternative to Horwath (he's kind of bland, actually), and of course the Greens have their own compounded version of a stacked deck against them. So yeah, this overwrought tendency to diminish Horwath definitely feels phallocentric--people who overproject their inability to relate to a particular touchy-feely "female" version of political "communication". (Which ironically, has more in common with Rob than Doug Ford--and perhaps even underlay how *he* was underestimated in his 2010 Mayoral bid. Whereas Smitherman was all wonk, and fatally so.)

The posters are up for Wong, for years she was sour-faced, with dark glasses and dark clothes - for her election posters she wears bright clothes, no glasses and a smile. I don't like her one bit but it is sad she has to play that game.

Let's face it, they all do. Although I never thought of KWT has being sour faced

Last edited:
Yes, though important to say there are lots of on-the-ground exceptions.

Lots and lots of exceptions. Basically, a lot of catholic school boards just ask you nicely if you really, really want a “catholic education”.

This article sheds light on the above board and notes that 20% of Catholic Elementary Students are not Catholic.
In the case of Northeastern Catholic School Board, it could be as high as 47% (see above link).

Catholic elementary schools require a baptismal certificate, but secondary schools do not.
Only three boards require parents or guardians to have them, but no board requires the student to have a catholic baptismal certificate.

The full Ontario Liberal Platform is out; and you can read it for yourself here: https://ontarioliberal.ca/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/Ontario-Liberal-Platform.pdf

There's a lot we already knew about:

- Cancel 413 and invest the savings in school replacement/repair/construction
- $16 minimum wage by year's end, with a variable rate across the province in the future that would reflect cost of living
- End for-profit long-term care
- HST off prepared foods/meals under $20 in value
- Expand Greenbelt/add new provincial parks

Etc.

What we haven't heard before:

- ODSP benefits to rise 20% ; a commitment to reverse Conservative cuts to OW, but no numbers given

- Housing Platform below:

1652108131908.png

There's actually a lot of substance to the above, but its simply too long to post here.

I will bring this bit forward as interesting: (someone's been reading Mike Moffatt's tweets)

To help, we’ll extend as-of-right
zoning for building more student residences
on campuses and eliminate development
charges for purpose-built student housing.
We’ll also better account for university and
college students in future housing growth
forecasts so that local plans account for the
additional housing required

I think Moffatt is close to Kate Graham who ran for the leadership of the party in 2020 and is running for a seat in London again this year. He probably has very good connections in the Ontario Liberal party.

noteworthy is liberals commit to not cancelling any currently planned transit projects, which includes the sheppard subway

noteworthy is liberals commit to not cancelling any currently planned transit projects, which includes the sheppard subway
My understanding was that they committed to not cancelling any projects that are shovel ready... sheppard subway extension is not close to shovel ready or shovels in the ground. Can you share the source ?

Back