News   Apr 25, 2024
 61     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

TMU: Law School (101-111 Gerrard St E, Ryerson, ?s, ?)

I mean, it's a university. Most of them have bland inoffensive names. Like, there is nothing creative or shocking about "The University of Toronto", or "York University", etc. I'm not really sure what people were expecting here.

Most universities DO NOT have bland names. McGill, Washington, Bishops, Cambridge, Manitoba, Dalhousie, Laval, Oklahoma, Laurentian, Acadia, Laurier, New Brunswick, Villanova, Coventry, McMaster, Iowa, Macquarie, etc.

'Toronto' and 'York' are both solid conventional names. People were expecting more of the same; not a generic 'non-name' stripped of any historical meaning or relevance. Would it be ok if we renamed Toronto something on the lines of 'Canadian Metropolitan Area'? And people who live here become 'Canadian Metropolitan Areans'? Can you imagine Harvard changing its name to something like 'Boston Metropolitan University'? Good grief.

Last edited:
Most universities DO NOT have bland names. McGill, Washington, Bishops, Cambridge, Manitoba, Dalhousie, Laval, Oklahoma, Laurentian, Acadia, Laurier, New Brunswick, Villanova, Coventry, McMaster, Iowa, Macquarie, etc.

'Toronto' and 'York' are both solid conventional names. People were expecting more of the same; not a generic 'non-name' stripped of any historical meaning or relevance. Would it be ok if we renamed Toronto something on the lines of 'Canadian Metropolitan Area'? And people who live here become 'Canadian Metropolitan Areans'? Can you imagine Harvard changing its name to something like 'Boston Metropolitan University'? Good grief.
Many of those names are still places. How is this bland for being a place name, but those ones are not bland for being place names? Anything named for a place is generally bland. There is nothing unique about "The University of New Brunswick", for example, it's a functional name that tells you where the school is. Which is what this is. Like I don't even like this name that much but I don't understand why people are so intensely angry about something so generic and inoffensive. It's like people are looking for ways to be outraged. Could it be better? Maybe. But imagine if they named it after a person and then that person got exposed for running a gay conversion camp or something? There was no way they weren't going choose a safe choice here.

Last edited:
Maybe, informally, it will be called "Met U". LOL
My issue with this is the branding may create confusion between University of Toronto and/or the grocery chain of Metro Inc...as I am pretty sure some may even ask is the latter sponsoring it. Or if the former is involved somehow. Or even both...

...so I certainly think they could of come up with a better name for itself that would least set it clearly aside from entities that are currently using Metropolitan or/and Toronto, IMO.

Name chosen by committee. I would've preferred "Toronto City University" or "City University of Toronto," along the lines of City University of New York (CUNY), which is a great school BTW. I mean, Metro Toronto isn't even a thing anymore. And what are people going to say for short? "I'm going to Metro."? Is that the university or the supermarket?

Name chosen by committee. I would've preferred "Toronto City University" or "City University of Toronto," along the lines of City University of New York (CUNY), which is a great school BTW. I mean, Metro Toronto isn't even a thing anymore. And what are people going to say for short? "I'm going to Metro."? Is that the university or the supermarket?

We are straying uncomfortably close to some unfortunate acronym territory here.

AoD

Here's a fun way to feel old: Pretty much every single undergrad student right now was born after Metro Toronto was dissolved.

Also there is a Metro supermarket basically on campus, time for some cross promotion deals?

Back