Toronto 25-55 St Clair Avenue East Building Rehabilitation | ?m | 11s | PSPC | DIALOG

If they punched out the stone cladding portion 3 dimensionally and skipped the shifting alignment, this would likely have a much more dramatic effect, IMO.

...but as it stands now, it's really hard to look at. Plus it feels like it's trying to be too many things at once...and not good at any.

I know a great way to improve the Arthur Meighen Building.

The top half of the façade can be sky blue and the bottom half be yellow.

It would be very symbolic, especially given that the Russian consulate is across the street from this building. This way, the Canadian government can show solidarity to Ukraine.

20220307_135043.jpg
20220307_135611.jpg
20220307_135626.jpg

This is a tragedy.

Planning has their priorities totally out of order.
What does "Planning" have to do with it?

EDIT: Seriously, why are you blaming Planning for anything to do with this? Recladdings and interior work just has to be reviewed by the Building Department, and they normally can only say yeah or nay based on building codes, not aesthetic concerns. In this case, this is a federal building, and not ultimately subject to everything that normal buildings are anyway.

Last edited:
What an insult to the original building, and downright shameful they didn't at least save the stonework or bas reliefs at ground level. For all the huffing about the environmental sustainability of this retrofit, it seems awfully wasteful to trash all that existing material.

What does "Planning" have to do with it?

EDIT: Seriously, why are you blaming Planning for anything to do with this? Recladdings and interior work just has to be reviewed by the Building Department, and they normally can only say yeah or nay based on building codes, not aesthetic concerns. In this case, this is a federal building, and not ultimately subject to everything that normal buildings are anyway.

If Heritage Preservation Services (which operates under Planning) had listed the building, there would have been at least some control over the redesign. I believe that even federal buildings can be listed (i.e. the Dominion Public Building/Customs House at 1 Front St.W.). The city did drop the ball on this one.

Reactions: xy3
Agreed. This is such a flat, boring replacement to the prior design which did a great job of addressing the street and illustrating its importance as a federal building. I know it doesn't make sense to say it, but it feels like a suburban building...plunked right at this core neighbourhood. The nuisance of construction has been a real hassle for residents like me, so seeing just how lacklustre this final cladding is is very disappointing.

According to this diagram produced by the feds, the only "green" feature on the façade is bird-friendly glazing, which implies that the green objectives could have been met for the entire project with just new windows in the existing façade. What a travesty!

25stclaireast-img-eng.jpg

Back