News   Mar 28, 2024
 468     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 313     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 329     0 

GO Transit: Union Station Shed Replacement & Track Upgrades (Zeidler)

I think Metrolinx has considerable documentary presentations on their Union Station Trainshed site regarding the historical heritage and preservation of the train shed. The trainshed is a national historic site so I do not think the idea of completely replacing it is viable. But I think in the context of heritage preservation, Metrolinx has secured a great deal of latitude to make extensive changes.

That trainshed is such an eyesore in an otherwise mostly beautiful station.

Not just that - but spending millions to restore a dysfunctional, restrictive eyesore to the same end-state in the name of heritage - all the while the powers that be let towers be plopped on top of 1 Front is pretty much the eptiome of the sad state of heritage conservation in this city/province/country.

AoD

Not just that - but spending millions to restore a dysfunctional, restrictive eyesore to the same end-state in the name of heritage - all the while the powers that be let towers be plopped on top of 1 Front is pretty much the eptiome of the sad state of heritage conservation in this city/province/country.

AoD
This x100.

Heritage "conservation" in this province, but most especially in Toronto is a laughable joke.

I think Metrolinx has considerable documentary presentations on their Union Station Trainshed site regarding the historical heritage and preservation of the train shed. The trainshed is a national historic site so I do not think the idea of completely replacing it is viable. But I think in the context of heritage preservation, Metrolinx has secured a great deal of latitude to make extensive changes.
The only reason why it's historic is because it's old and the city never had the spine to replace it with more relevant and appealing infrastructure. They should've extended the glass box to cover both ends and make it one single structure instead of the incomplete bankrupt builder look it has now.

This x100.

Heritage "conservation" in this province, but most especially in Toronto is a laughable joke.
they really paint historic with a broad brush. Ive worked on "historic" buildings that are so rotten that it's better that an accidental collapse happen on site so that we can rebuild it properly.
They even made us restore the wooden front door that had no historic value and was completely rotten inside rather than replace it with a like for like replica at 1/2 the cost.

Last thing I'd want is for it the old train shed to be trashed, but perhaps dismantled, restored, and relocated to a place where people can genuinely enjoy it. Rebuild pieces of it in Roundhouse Park for everyone to see and enjoy.

Give Union Station a chance to be a modern station with an open airy train shed that actually invites people to the city, combine that with wider train platforms and GO and VIA Train travel just got that much more appealing.

Last thing I'd want is for it the old train shed to be trashed, but perhaps dismantled, restored, and relocated to a place where people can genuinely enjoy it. Rebuild pieces of it in Roundhouse Park for everyone to see and enjoy.

Give Union Station a chance to be a modern station with an open airy train shed that actually invites people to the city, combine that with wider train platforms and GO and VIA Train travel just got that much more appealing.

Or save a track or two at the northern end if need be.

AoD

Heritage isn't just whatever is old. It has to have some sort of value to it, and I don't think anyone would miss this train shed. The worst thing is that they're keeping it in the same bland grey colour, and the new platform renderings look very no-frills as of now. They could've at least painted it in a different colour and added some elegant lighting fixtures to it, but no 'heritage' means we should keep everything that is old, no matter how ugly or irrelevant it is - unless there's money to be made by a developer... in which case heritage doesn't matter at all. Oh yeah, and we won't have a green roof.

FDwe18gWEAoCO4Y.jpeg

Back