News   Apr 23, 2024
 13     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 348     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 952     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

The amount i've seen them i'm surprised I haven't seen someone absolutely eat it on an e-scooter. They go so fast and right on the street and it just seems like something i'll witness eventually.

And they never use a bell or any other signal when they whizz by you in a bike lane.

Just like when red flags had to be used by a walkers in front of automobiles,

RED-FLAG-ACT-POLITICAL-CORRUPTION-JACKASS-POLITICIANS.jpg

red_flag_acts_1878_1865_locomotives_political_corruption.jpg

red-flag-act.jpg

redflag-act-emancipation-cars-automotice-industry-locomotives-political-lobbying.jpg

From link.

It might be annoying for operators like Burlington Transit who would lose some ridership to/from stations, but it would be a bit win for the TTC at subway stations, since the they still get the same revenue anyway once the passenger gets on the subway. It would help cut down on the passenger surge on the last couple kilometres of bus routes approaching stations, and reduce the need for short-turn branches.
The suburban transit future increasingly looks like dedicated ROW, limited stop BRT in the suburbs, and a combination of abundant microtransit, cycling, AVs, and paratransit for the last-km to connect passengers to their homes.

I took out one of the bike share ebikes on Wednesday and I think it sealed the deal on my buying an E-bike. Took it up from close to Union to Yonge and Eglinton and back in under an hour, and just glided up the new Yonge St bike lanes like the hill wasn't even there. Amazing. Truly revolutionary for micromobility, and makes many of the hillier areas of the city much, much more cycle friendly.

I took out one of the bike share ebikes on Wednesday and I think it sealed the deal on my buying an E-bike. Took it up from close to Union to Yonge and Eglinton and back in under an hour, and just glided up the new Yonge St bike lanes like the hill wasn't even there. Amazing. Truly revolutionary for micromobility, and makes many of the hillier areas of the city much, much more cycle friendly.

It's life changing. I bought my first e-bike, a Canadian-made Norco with Bosch motor, in February 2020 for an absolute steal (marked down to $1000 from $4000 brand new). At first I thought it would get part-time use only on days when I planned to go on longer rides or if I knew I'd encounter any notable elevation, and assumed I would mainly continue to use my regular pedal-powered fantastic Opus workhorse that loyally carried me 20 km a day back and forth between home and work for 6+ years.

The Opus has not seen my ass since.

The Esplanade / Mill St lanes are now fully bike-able end to end (Bayview to Sherbourne until the extension to Yonge next fall).
IMG_2195.JPG

I noticed the new lanes aren't really being used by most spandex clad cyclists (average speed is probably too slow for their liking and the lanes are pretty narrow so tough to overtake), but everyone else is using them.
IMG_2192.JPG

IMG_2201.JPG

IMG_2204.JPG
IMG_2207.JPG

IMG_2214.JPG

IMG_2219.JPG

The Esplanade / Mill St lanes are now fully bike-able end to end (Bayview to Sherbourne until the extension to Yonge next fall).
View attachment 361038
I noticed the new lanes aren't really being used by most spandex clad cyclists (average speed is probably too slow for their liking and the lanes are pretty narrow so tough to overtake), but everyone else is using them.
View attachment 361037
View attachment 361039
View attachment 361040View attachment 361041
View attachment 361042
View attachment 361043
I think the latest plan is to bring the lanes west to Lower Jarvis in 2022 (and maybe build the bike path @ Parliament Square Park to avoid the bike/pedestrian conflicts so common there) and then Lower Jarvis to Yonge in 2023 after the Market Tent closes.

I think the latest plan is to bring the lanes west to Lower Jarvis in 2022 (and maybe build the bike path @ Parliament Square Park to avoid the bike/pedestrian conflicts so common there) and then Lower Jarvis to Yonge in 2023 after the Market Tent closes.
That's unfortunate. Biking on Jarvis is a no-go for most, so the 2022 extension won't do much for the bike network. A separated bike path at Parliament Square Park should be nice though!

That's unfortunate. Biking on Jarvis is a no-go for most, so the 2022 extension won't do much for the bike network. A separated bike path at Parliament Square Park should be nice though!
Yes, I agree on both counts and am not sure it is worth postponing the Jarvis to Yonge blocks just because the Market tent is still there. It really only causes curb-lane blockages on weekends. (Of course, I live between Sherbourne & Jarvis so I like at least the 2022 plan!) THIS might be of interest:

Join Toronto Centre Cyclists (TCC) on Sunday, November 14, at noon as they celebrate The Esplanade & Mill Street Connection.

The meet up for this event will be at the southwest corner of Berkeley and The Esplanade where TCC members will talk more about this significant street project and encourage all to take a spin from Sherbourne and The Esplanade to Corktown Common via the new bike lane.

A new bi-directional protected bike lane has just been installed to connect The Esplanade and Mill Street, two important streets in the east part of downtown Toronto. They connect people to iconic destinations like the St. Lawrence Market and Distillery District, as well as parks such as Corktown Common and David Crombie Park.

The Esplanade & Mill Street Connection aims to:

1. Improve safety for everyone
  2. Make walking, cycling and taking transit more attractive
  3. Maintain access to local and citywide destinations
This is just phase one of the greater project to connect Yonge Street to Bayview via these neighbourhoods by 2023.

Last edited:
Does anyone know when work will be starting on the Lower Don Trail from Lake Shore to Pottery Road (?) I know the lower end is closing on 30 November due to the Lake Shore East project but I see no signs of work being started further up river and I thought all was supposed to be done between September and April. That section of the trail certainly needs work but it will be too bad if it stretches too far into the 2022 'season' - though the on-street Bayview route is a pretty good alternative.

I don't think people realize how powerful the synergies are for bikes + transit + flexible and secure bike parking. If you consider that getting people to cycle to a rapid transit station can save the need for a bus trip to/from that station, then the value of bike parking can become quite significant in reduced operating cost for the transit operator. Same goes for letting people leave a bike at their destination station overnight/weekends. Also would increase the catchment area and appeal of transit as people frankly don't want to wait for infrequent buses and may just drive if their destination is more than a short walk from the destination station.
I would take that a step forward, and suggest that bikeshare stations utilizing e-bikes should be a standard feature of every GTHA-area transit station.

E-bikes are be truly revolutionary for suburban transport. An e-bike can transform a 30 minute bus trip to the local GO station, 5 to 10 minute cycle. And these trips are physically effortless, which eliminates perhaps the biggest hesitation non-cyclists have about getting on a bike. Even in sprawling suburbs, e-bikes are a stunningly effective means of transport.

We could forgo the bikeshare program and settle for better bicycle parking facilities. However I specifically encourage e-bikeshares because it eliminates the financial barrier of bike ownership. The vast majority of transit commuters are either unable to unwilling to pay $500 to $2,000 for an e-bike. However, it'll be relatively easy to convince those riders to use e-bikeshares, particularly if its already included in their transit fares ("do you want to wait another 20 mins for this bus to arrive, or just hop on this bike and be home in 5 minutes?"). If we want maximal cycle ridership, e-bikeshares are the way to go.

This program wouldn't be cheap, but neither are public bus services. The 905-area transit operators subsidize their bus trips to the tune of $2.00 to $4.50 per rider. Whatever an e-bikeshare program costs to operate, it would certainly be significantly cheaper than bus operations.

Metrolinx has been grappling with the car-dependency of GO trips for a decade now, to little avail. Billions spent on BRTs and LRTs don't mean much if customers still have to walk a long distance to catch an infrequent bus (ahem, looking at you, York Region). Deploying e-bikeshares to GO stations and their surrounding neighbourhoods would likely prove to be a more fruitful investment.

Obviously, enhancements to cycle lanes and infrastructure would be requisite.

Deploying this program would be a relatively low risk affair. Just pick a handful of GO and TTC stations with high potential, and deploy bikeshare stations in their surrounding areas. If they work, then we know we have a winning formula on our hands that can be expanded to the rest of the network.

Last edited:
The problem with bikeshare in suburbs is if you don't have bidirectional flow, you need to reposition the bikes or they only get one use per day per direction. Not to say we shouldn't have bikeshare, but it may get to be prohibitive unless we can encourage both employment and residential uses to be at each station.

We should really have a variety of bike share models. NL doesn't have the type of brief rental we have here for frequent short trips that can be one way. We don't have the type of OVFiets affordable daily rental where you have to return the bike to where you rented it (great for day trips /errands where you return to the same station) which eliminates the complexity of rebalancing bikes in the network. In some ways it might make more sense to have these types of rental bikes at the destination station where you bring it to work and return it later in the day. That can make the bike parking at the station easier since the bikes are all the same.

Back