Toronto Ace Hotel Toronto | 44.8m | 13s | Carbon Hospitality | Shim-Sutcliffe

Aug 13, 2021

Some hoarding removed.

DD7C1FF7-BE28-4254-BC93-ACEF0CD73DD5_1_201_a.jpeg

8281595E-1699-4A97-ABF0-8AA01EF92EBC_1_201_a.jpeg

Pretty wild how long it's taking to finish up the detailing here. The black inset metal trim is going to really elevate this building (though it's already pretty great!) - let's hope it didn't get cut from the plan

Timeline probably has more to do with a non-existant hotel market during Covid...
Not sure it was non-existent. I do believe the government were using them to isolate those that entered our jurisdiction during this time. However, I'll agree it wasn't encouraging...thus could have been an incentive not to complete this project right away.

Love the fancy Indian red precast brick as seen in the photos up above! We need another sequel of this type of facade look!

tempImageQJBU2J.jpg

tempImageMAQhMI.jpg

Slotted panel above the entrance has been installed and they were doing work on the sidewalk corner. Still no movement on the window detailing/trim but I'm guessing they're waiting for the sidewalk to be fully finished and use a cherry picker or for the window cleaning crane to be installed.

I can't wait to see this building up-close in a finished state. As a huge Shim Sutcliffe fan I have to say I've been worried that the scale of this project would not do justice to the brilliance of their designs, which are so fundamentally focused on a masterful sense of craftsmanship and intimacy, and the flawless execution of so many tiny details. However seeing all of the finishing touches come together here, I have no doubt that they've achieved another masterpiece, perhaps not on the level of their custom residential work, but certainly a landmark in its context.

Back