News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.7K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 556     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.3K     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

The view from the third level of the Bramalea parking garage. The old station building is being demolished to make way for the extended bus loop. The fourth and fifth levels of the garage are currently barricaded, but there was plenty of room on the three lower levels.

IMG_6164-001.JPG

Upcoming protest related to two GO construction projects (4th track at Small's Creek and the Don Valley Layover on the Don Spur/Belleville Sub Spur/branch off the RH GO line). Posting for information not as an endorsement.

1633114292502.png

Upcoming protest related to two GO construction projects (4th track at Small's Creek and the Don Valley Layover on the Don Spur/Belleville Sub Spur/branch off the RH GO line). Posting for information not as an endorsement.

View attachment 352767
I'll take the point that they've highlighted all the surrounding parking as a sign . . . . .

View attachment 352767

hahaha highlighting the parking garages on this is the Chef’s kiss. Oh the irony of their protest.

I'll take the point that they've highlighted all the surrounding parking as a sign . . . . .

Amusing, but probably not correct. All but one of the listed groups are inner-City in transit-oriented communities.
Floyd Ruskin of Don't mess w/the Don is a hiker/cyclist, I don't even know if he drives, never seen him w/a car..........

In fairness, its an optic they ought to have been conscious of.........

Presumably intended to be helpful to people coming from further afield.

PS, I'm not a member of any of the groups in question, and certainly wouldn't offer a blanket endorsement of their assorted issues.

But I will say, Mx does itself no favours with consistently proposing ideas out of nowhere, (Don Valley Storage Yard) and/or engaging in meaningless and insincere effort at consultation.
People in this forum complain about that regularly, and not without merit.

I don't really get how Metrolinx doesn't realize that with the Don Valley Storage Yards they have chosen a location that gets a whole bunch of different kinds of pushback. You get the general NIMBY's from Chester Hill and the apartment buildings in the area, you get environmentalists, and you get park users that think this is going to change their experience or who thought that like other places this rail line was destined to become a trail. If they built the yard in Leaside they wouldn't likely need any environmental assessment at all. In Leaside Yard they would be able to share some facilities with the Ontario Line MSF for staff perhaps, but most importantly wouldn't be building a road and building in the Don Valley.

DVYardLeasideYard.png
LeasideYard.png

^ CP Rail probably said no. It's also a longer distance to Union Station. (Updated)

Last edited:
But does CP rail own all of the land around the railyard? Some of it is a hydro corridor is it not?
I assume that CP did end up buying the yard from CN, but I have never seen any proof confirming that. Metrolinx does own at least some portion to the south of the mainline, and apparently the old station lands as well.

There is a large transformer station there with multiple high-voltage circuits to it, but none of it should intrude on any storage and maintenance facility that could be built there.

Dan

I was going to do just a regular Milliken GO construction update, but I have a few concerns...

First off, the north side of Steeles is closed between Fenton Road and Old Kennedy for construction. However, the sidewalk is also closed along with pathways that lead to neighbourhoods. The only way to get to those streets now by bike/walking is to walk all the way around the block which will take like an extra 10/15 minutes to get to where you need to be. I understand work needs to be done, but it’s quite unfortunate for people that use those pathways. Between Midland and Old Kennedy, the pathway on the north side is also closed. This would not be a problem in my opinion if the south sidewalk was actually walkable, but there is no concrete sidewalk; just patches of asphalt and gravel which is a massive tripping hazard. Also, how is it expected for you to get to this bus stop in the middle of the road?

D655B83E-D5F3-49BC-9DBE-FE5797CCAB14.jpeg

Then, at the intersection, if you wanted to be able to get to the southwest side of Old Kennedy to walk west, you would need to first cross north, then cross the lights again west, then go south all around the intersection to get to this path, all while there are construction trucks going every which direction because every side of the intersection there are either road or watermain construction going on.

1CE8D904-4D34-4826-A494-2F86087ABEEC.jpeg

6CA220DA-E094-49FC-BE5A-8778A65BCD05.jpeg

If you wanted to get into the plaza located at the southwest corner, you would have to illegally cross the busy roadway because there is literally no where else to cross.
C55FF5B0-8AAF-4D0E-9698-1FDAC86F7F4A.jpeg

Then, at Steeles and Redlea, we have similar issues..
Yes, that is indeed a pickaxe and a giant hole right beside the walking path.

8C89A9A7-8991-4ED9-BEB6-D17AC26FBBEF.jpeg

6257C7B4-6188-4021-AA00-E8AA65A237EF.jpeg
DD5754DD-1330-4DAA-AB0B-406A8E0FAF47.jpeg
97C16B87-C8EB-4966-AD6B-9495C9479852.jpeg

Now, here’s some regular images.
A3ED1AEE-5A8C-4639-9720-16547FC8F59F.jpeg
B5F0A87F-778B-4D26-BCBD-6B7CF85DFF48.jpeg
3CDBC2A6-20BF-4350-8EFA-5A805EF71E83.jpeg
47783A4E-3917-4A57-BAD7-68959E3ED4C7.jpeg

I was going to do just a regular Milliken GO construction update, but I have a few concerns...

First off, the north side of Steeles is closed between Fenton Road and Old Kennedy for construction. However, the sidewalk is also closed along with pathways that lead to neighbourhoods. The only way to get to those streets now by bike/walking is to walk all the way around the block which will take like an extra 10/15 minutes to get to where you need to be. I understand work needs to be done, but it’s quite unfortunate for people that use those pathways. Between Midland and Old Kennedy, the pathway on the north side is also closed. This would not be a problem in my opinion if the south sidewalk was actually walkable, but there is no concrete sidewalk; just patches of asphalt and gravel which is a massive tripping hazard. Also, how is it expected for you to get to this bus stop in the middle of the road?

View attachment 353749
Then, at the intersection, if you wanted to be able to get to the southwest side of Old Kennedy to walk west, you would need to first cross north, then cross the lights again west, then go south all around the intersection to get to this path, all while there are construction trucks going every which direction because every side of the intersection there are either road or watermain construction going on.

View attachment 353751
View attachment 353752
If you wanted to get into the plaza located at the southwest corner, you would have to illegally cross the busy roadway because there is literally no where else to cross.
View attachment 353754
Then, at Steeles and Redlea, we have similar issues..
Yes, that is indeed a pickaxe and a giant hole right beside the walking path.

View attachment 353760
View attachment 353762View attachment 353763View attachment 353764
Now, here’s some regular images.
View attachment 353765View attachment 353766View attachment 353768View attachment 353769
From my many visits, the northside will be the last thing done and a pain for pedestrians. Even the south side a pain for cycles and pedestrians the last time I walked it in July.

My last visit was at the end of July and will see it this month and looks like I haven't miss much.

They sure taking their time finishing off the eastbound lanes at Kennedy as well the sidewalk as I was expecting it to be done before Sept.

The station is still moving at a snail pace.

Based on this project as well a few others, it looks like EllisDon is thin on personal and sub trades with all the P3 project they have taken on.

Sometime in 2022, this and 4 other GO projects under EllisDon control should be finish.

By the end of this month based on these photos, the southside at Kennedy will be finish for cycles and pedestrians and not do the triple crossing to use the south side.

Back