News   Mar 28, 2024
 694     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 470     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 795     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Speed River Bridge at Guelph this weekend.

with two cranes they’re replacing the longer and heavy centre span.

09E092F0-8900-4D3B-9D65-16004FFAEFB8.jpeg

9DFA170C-2E54-4245-BC8B-C22F467EDD68.jpeg

The items listed in that article are all favourable and to be cheered, but the picture is certainly selective

Critical missing links:
- Work on shifting the Railpath and completing the 4th track from Nickle to Strachan, including changes to Bloor station
- The whole discussion about CN implies that there is no agreement yet on what work will be done through Brampton and onwards to Silver... after how many years of negotiation?
- No mention of work to add passing capacity especially west of Georgetown - probably the most important impediment of all to 2WAD west of Mount Pleasant

- Paul

Except for that parking lot, the “Station improvement” at Brampton brought to you by a dozen houses demolished.

I apologize in advance if this turns out to be nothing. But I noticed these markings on the tracks around Barrie South GO station. Does anyone know what they mean?

Looks like a surveyor’s measurement point. Definitely not anything operational.

- Paul

Looks like a surveyor’s measurement point. Definitely not anything operational.

- Paul
It call a benchmark to be use to map out an area and they can be found all over the place from this style to small brass plates case into sidewalks. The ones case in concrete are very small and round that has the location mark on it to help any surveyor using it.

It will tell any surveyor what is the true location is, the elevation and a jump off point for the area where it is place. It helps to map the area for something being built or to prepare plans for something to be built or up data.

Seen them on many construction projects I been on over the years or walking around the city.

In a presser of DelDuca'esque proportions...........Transportation Minister Caroline Mulroney has announced that they are renaming Linconville GO Stn to Old Elm Stn.

I know, the excitement is overwhelming...............

To make it seem like its about more, she also blathered on about the already planned/underway improvements to the station in terms of parking, bike facilities etc etc.

In a presser of DelDuca'esque proportions...........Transportation Minister Caroline Mulroney has announced that they are renaming Linconville GO Stn to Old Elm Stn.

To make it seem like its about more, she also blathered on about the already planned/underway improvements to the station in terms of parking, bike facilities etc etc.

Honestly the new station's most notable feature will likely be much faster travel times - right now the trains add a ton of travel time as they have to stop and crawl into their storage tracks before letting passengers disembark. Despite there being only 3km between Lincolnville and Stouffville GO's, the schedules allow for 8 minutes for trains to make that trip..

After the new station is built that will likely be closer to 3-4 minutes.

You can tell election season is coming, they are getting desperate.

Which I guess in hindsight it also means that Del Duca was desperate all the time to get attention just like most babies and teenage girls normally are.

What's new about the station design that would halve the travel time?
I already explained - the trains don't have to crawl in and out of the storage tracks before opening their doors, instead they will let passengers off first then enter the storage tracks.

I took the train to Lincolnville many times in 2013-2014ish, and it always basically came to a full stop before 10th line before crawling into the storage tracks at probably 5mph.

What's new about the station design that would halve the travel time?
I already explained - the trains don't have to crawl in and out of the storage tracks before opening their doors, instead they will let passengers off first then enter the storage tracks.

I took the train to Lincolnville many times in 2013-2014ish, and it always basically came to a full stop before 10th line before crawling into the storage tracks at probably 5mph.
To elaborate a bit more....

The new station will be on the mainline. Thus, trains should be able to enter it from the south at more-or-less "full speed".

Even more than shortening those trips, it will also allow for more parking, more train storage, and an easier way to extend service further north - if and when it comes to that.

Dan

Back