News   Apr 25, 2024
 363     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

Before with a token, I could keep a token mixed in with my coins.

With any transit card, I may decide to leave it at home to save space on my person However, I could run into problems when I get a call on my cell phone to go somewhere now, this moment. Have to get home to fetch the card, or have it on my person at all times.

Now, I would like to pay for my fare using a PRESTO app on my iPhone.

That's been something that they have said that they are working on since the app was first introduced.
"It should be working..."
FzvbcQ.gif

From link.

Anyone tried it with Express Transit on Apple Pay? Basically it allows you to pay for transit using credit without needing to authenticate or double press the side button. It would be quite inconvenient to have to enter your passcode to pay for the train or take your mask off for face ID.

Anyone tried it with Express Transit on Apple Pay? Basically it allows you to pay for transit using credit without needing to authenticate or double press the side button. It would be quite inconvenient to have to enter your passcode to pay for the train or take your mask off for face ID.
It even works when the phone battery dies! How cool is that.

Current Prestco cards sold by corporations. Should include the corner mom-n-pop stores.
There was a plan to use a small handheld device at current location where passes, tickets and other fare media were sold in the past to allow riders buy a card and recharge it as needed, but expect cost on ML part kill that idea.

No every rider has a bank account, credit card or a debit for a number of reason and why you see a lot of riders paying cash fare. Some only make enough money for the next day trip and not enough to buy a weekly pass, let alone a monthly pass. One reasons Cash Marts others exist when people want to cash a check.

As I noted in the past, not everyone is near a streetcar line, GO, or subway stations where they can put their fare on a card since they only ride buses.

Mississauga has fare machines in library, community centre and a few malls beside Sq One terminal or GO Station. There is to be more fare machines at Kipling Hub on the ground level and no idea if they have been install since I bypass the terminal these day using TTC.

took them long enough. This was flagged way back when they first rolled out the machines on the buses.

I don't really know why people think it's necessary to do this. How many people actually look at the balance on the screen? All I can see is it making it take longer for people to board as you will now have the people who don't have their card ready until they get on board and then there will be the people who will have to read the screen. It defeats the entire purpose of the fare card in the first place.

Can I say finally?

Key dates:

1632511262199.png

Screen as it will now appear:

1632511395800.png

I don't get why we need this information at all. It would be much better if they put a fare reload machine at bus stops instead so that people can check their cards and top them up before they get on a bus or streetcar.

As someone who works at Dundas and Jarvis, I can safely say they would be trashed, robbed or vandalized.

Also, who would maintain them? You would need over 5000 of them.

Back