Toronto Nobu Residences Toronto | 156.66m | 45s | Madison Group | Teeple Architects

I think they should rename this "Nobu" Haus...like what? /sigh

Last edited by a moderator:
Move over 'Time & Space'....

Do the Razzie Awards exist in Toronto for architecture? If not, UT really needs to start them.... It might help builders become more accountable…

UT Headline shared by BlogTO and The Star: "Teeple and Madison wins worst building in 2023 with Nobu, creating another eye-sore on the Toronto skyline."

What was anyone expecting on a super-constrained laneway, above the service entrance and garbage rooms, and covering a sheer wall?

None of that is going to show up on any postcard views. If it carries up the tower there might be cause for concern, but it's a little quick to judge, no? The architecturals clearly showing the cladding system changes at the tower

What was anyone expecting on a super-constrained laneway, above the service entrance and garbage rooms, and covering a sheer wall?

None of that is going to show up on any postcard views. If it carries up the tower there might be cause for concern, but it's a little quick to judge, no? The architecturals clearly showing the cladding system changes at the tower
I hear you but I also want to say, look at what The One did with their constrained laneway.

I hear you but I also want to say, look at what The One did with their constrained laneway.
Ok, sure, but The One is an order of magnitude more expensive, they aren't covering up sheer walls, and that back wall in the laneway will be visible from inside the building because of the way the site is laid out.

And also, like 95% of the design decisions at The One are based on conspicuous and gratuitous displays of wealth. Absolutely nothing on that building is being done to make money. Honestly? I'm looking at The One almost like Mizrahi is taking a loss on it to establish himself as the pre-eminent luxury home builder in the country. Like, how many iPhones do you need to sell to pay for those storefront windows? There are obvious examples all over that building where huge expenses could have been avoided, and the developer just "nope"d it.

Ok, sure, but The One is an order of magnitude more expensive, they aren't covering up sheer walls, and that back wall in the laneway will be visible from inside the building because of the way the site is laid out.

And also, like 95% of the design decisions at The One are based on conspicuous and gratuitous displays of wealth. Absolutely nothing on that building is being done to make money. Honestly? I'm looking at The One almost like Mizrahi is taking a loss on it to establish himself as the pre-eminent luxury home builder in the country. Like, how many iPhones do you need to sell to pay for those storefront windows? There are obvious examples all over that building where huge expenses could have been avoided, and the developer just "nope"d it.
I still have a bit of faith that Nobu tower will end up looking decent, I’m honestly just taking the piss out of the most ridiculous wall of spandrel I’ve ever seen on a project.

One that carries an international brand, had Robert De Niro at its groundbreaking, and overall touted as a high end luxury building.

Just wish builders had a little bit more pride in our city, and if not that than, at least their own projects. I’m not writing off the whole building because of 4 floors of terrible cladding (I mean not the best sign) but I think they also deserve some public chastising.

I’m sure similar to how we all poked fun of The Well’s green glass when it was going up, Nobu will also be able to redeem itself as it continues building up.

Robert De Niro didn't show up to endorse The One at launch day though. >.<

There used to be the Pug Awards that highlighted the best and worst architecture of buildings completed each year. It ran during the earlier part of the construction boom from 2005 to 2014. Looking back at it time really flies and seeing how it's been quite a few years since they've discontinued it. Real shame too as the awards were well organized and rather influential among architecture and development circles for its time.

I hear you, but for me, this is a prime example of a developer not giving a sh*t. It's all about the details.

For example, I always appreciate a Christmas tree decorated, front and back, vs. the one that is bare facing the wall (which you can see at certain angles...).

This is honestly really embarrassing. Epic fail.

Back