News   Apr 24, 2024
 986     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 630     0 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

I spent a couple years commuting from Bolton to Toronto before I moved into the City. This extension was badly needed. Once the eastern edge of Brampton got developed Highway 50 became a nightmare of traffic and trucks (due to all the local logistics facilities). And the 2 lane stretch on the 427 from Zenway to South of the 407 was always a mess.

Even without the extension, the widening was needed.

I spent a couple years commuting from Bolton to Toronto before I moved into the City. This extension was badly needed. Once the eastern edge of Brampton got developed Highway 50 became a nightmare of traffic and trucks (due to all the local logistics facilities). And the 2 lane stretch on the 427 from Zenway to South of the 407 was always a mess.

Even without the extension, the widening was needed.
At least we got to see how the highway performed ending at Highway 7 which is even worse than the Zenway ending. As today is the last day we’ll see the insufferable bottleneck from Finch-Hwy 7, i would like to say thank you to finally opening the extension, and hopefully the highway flows better overall.

^ Interesting the way the 427 ends at Major Mackenzie... was not anticipating that sort of ramp pattern. When the 427 was originally extended to highway 7, they built a traditional overpass, in anticipation of the highway being extended further.
The absence of a traditional overpass at Major Mackenzie makes me think that it will be a long, long, long time before we see any form of further extension (or materialization of the GTA West highway/413).

^ Interesting the way the 427 ends at Major Mackenzie... was not anticipating that sort of ramp pattern. When the 427 was originally extended to highway 7, they built a traditional overpass, in anticipation of the highway being extended further.
The absence of a traditional overpass at Major Mackenzie makes me think that it will be a long, long, long time before we see any form of further extension (or materialization of the GTA West highway/413).

The route westbound to Major Mackenzie leads right to Coleraine Drive, which is the southern section of the Bolton bypass (Regional Road 150) being built by Peel Region. That will send the trucks destined for Canadian Tire, Amazon, and other big warehouses on their way, avoiding Highway 50 completely.

Actually no. The thing about Trumpet interchanges (what we see here) is precisely that they are designed in such a way to make them easily convertible to A4 Paclos.

1632070733552.png

If we look at the diagram here that I edited in GIMP in 2 seconds, if we get rid of a few key sections you can basically turn it into an A4, and this is with a trumpet design that isn't favourable with conversion. While its hard to properly see in the video above, the off ramp to Major Mackenzie Eastbound is built 90deg parallel to Major Mack so it can be converted to a standard A4 offramp, and you can also see in the video that it travels quite a bit of distance from the highway so adding a new loop for a northbound on ramp would be quite simple. In short, this interchange is designed for future extensions, this isn't the end.

Wonder when it'll show up on Google Maps.

Also, guess I missed it but does this mean the lawsuit was settled?

Screenshot_2021-09-19_131958.jpg

The only difference I see is that the old hwy 7 interchange had a single ramp from the northbound lanes leading to a signalized intersection where drivers can turn left (west) or right (east). The set up at major mavk as someone mentioned is more suitable for a future extension northward

The southbound HOVs opened last weekend. Northbound is in October apparently.

I noticed that the new HOV lanes on the 400 have these short transfer lanes added between the HOV and the regular lane where cars enter or exit, first time I've seen this.

Also is anyone aware of the timelines or staging for HOV lanes further north?

I noticed that the new HOV lanes on the 400 have these short transfer lanes added between the HOV and the regular lane where cars enter or exit, first time I've seen this.

Also is anyone aware of the timelines or staging for HOV lanes further north?
I believe the next part to Highway 9 starts next year, probably opening in 2024. An extension south to Langstaff is also planned, starting I believe in 2023 and probably ending in 2025.

I believe the next part to Highway 9 starts next year, probably opening in 2024. An extension south to Langstaff is also planned, starting I believe in 2023 and probably ending in 2025.
Very likely, cottage goers and comers who be using the HOV, because families or groups of more than two would be using the HOV. Not so much for the commuters, driving the single-occupant vehicles.

My guess is that it is to reduce weaving conflicts. I don't know why they aren't just open access lanes where you can go in and out wherever you want. Ontario seems to be repeating it's history with the cloverleaf problem (weaving in between loops) except this time it's with the HOV lane. I wouldn't be so surprised to see the designs of a lot of them updated in the long term.

Back