Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

A protest is being organized by the anti-Option 3 refined folks. While they talk about "Option 3" below, Metrolinx is actually going with "Option 3 refined". I'll post the link of people haven't seen it.

Question - are humans allowed to go or is this another dog-based protest?

Seriously - I'll just say (again) that this ridiculous and it will probably continue after Metrolinx actually does some decent communication (how deep are the tunnels? what's the ACTUAL impact of trains at those depths? What are other examples? etc.) but they still have to do better. Which is to say, it's a long list of concerns the residents have and probably only a few of them are legitimate, but I do have a sliver of empathy given how little specific information is being provided to refute any of them.

Question - are humans allowed to go or is this another dog-based protest?

Seriously - I'll just say (again) that this ridiculous and it will probably continue after Metrolinx actually does some decent communication (how deep are the tunnels? what's the ACTUAL impact of trains at those depths? What are other examples? etc.) but they still have to do better. Which is to say, it's a long list of concerns the residents have and probably only a few of them are legitimate, but I do have a sliver of empathy given how little specific information is being provided to refute any of them.
A lot of criticism of Metrolinx is legitimate (see above) but this is not. York Region is constantly coming off as arrogant and entitled, and some people have had enough.

A lot of criticism of Metrolinx is legitimate (see above) but this is not. York Region is constantly coming off as arrogant and entitled, and some people have had enough.

And what does York Region have to do with this, in that they are York Region residents complaining about Metrolinx? Are you saying people are annoyed that these spoiled YR residents are complaining about the subway they're getting? Cuz if so a) small neighbourhood, not "York Region" and b) similar complaints going on in Toronto with the Ontario Line.

Last edited:
And what does York Region have to do with this, in that they are York Region residents complaining about Metrolinx? Are you saying people are annoyed that these spoiled YR residents are complaining about the subway they're getting? Cuz if so a) small neighbourhood, not "York Region" and b) similar complaints going on in Toronto with the Ontario Line.
Yes I am. And it's more than a spoiled neighborhood given nearly all of Markham council has weighed in on this at this point. It's not enough that we're not even getting a subway with all the stops, not they can't even pass through a graveyard without complaints. Same goes for the Ontario Line, but I wanted to stay on topic. Completely spoiled and unappreciative.

Yes I am. And it's more than a spoiled neighborhood given nearly all of Markham council has weighed in on this at this point. It's not enough that we're not even getting a subway with all the stops, not they can't even pass through a graveyard without complaints. Same goes for the Ontario Line, but I wanted to stay on topic. Completely spoiled and unappreciative.

Well, I said above that they're being a bit two-faced saying they love the subway, they love Clark Station, they just want the thing out of their neighbourhood. And yes, some pols have gone along with the charade - which is easy to do (whether you're a local councillor or federal MP candidate) when you have no jurisdiction and get to say, "Well, I fought for you! Make sure to vote for me again!" when you inevitably accomplish nothing. But given the prevalence of NIMBYism, not just in Markham or the GTA, I think it's a stretch to say York Region is spoiled and unappreciative. Overall, it's about what I'd expect anywhere and I suspect few is the neighbourhood (including yours, presumably in Oakville) where residents wouldn't freak out if they heard a subway was going to literally run beneath their houses. I think their houses are almost certainly likely to be unaffected and they're being a bit hysterical, but the onus is on Metrolinx to demonstrate that.

I mean, just wait until local residents get wind of the density planned for Yonge and 7 which. I think, is under the radar for most people. Then you'll see some real, "Of course we want the subway but not also thousands of condo units!"

Well, I said above that they're being a bit two-faced saying they love the subway, they love Clark Station, they just want the thing out of their neighbourhood. And yes, some pols have gone along with the charade - which is easy to do (whether you're a local councillor or federal MP candidate) when you have no jurisdiction and get to say, "Well, I fought for you! Make sure to vote for me again!" when you inevitably accomplish nothing. But given the prevalence of NIMBYism, not just in Markham or the GTA, I think it's a stretch to say York Region is spoiled and unappreciative. Overall, it's about what I'd expect anywhere and I suspect few is the neighbourhood (including yours, presumably in Oakville) where residents wouldn't freak out if they heard a subway was going to literally run beneath their houses. I think their houses are almost certainly likely to be unaffected and they're being a bit hysterical, but the onus is on Metrolinx to demonstrate that.

I mean, just wait until local residents get wind of the density planned for Yonge and 7 which. I think, is under the radar for most people. Then you'll see some real, "Of course we want the subway but not also thousands of condo units!"
I largely agree, but this should have been farther along. I live downtown, but in Oakville obviously the GO trains run along the industrial area. The issue the loss of Cummer in Toronto to accommodate YR, the loss of other stations, the harping many residents did about the subway for years only for them to turn around and say "well, not like that!" Enough. It should be option 3 or nothing. Cummer and Royal Orchard should be back in as well. You're getting a subway no picking and choosing beyond that.

They're planning some big towers at Clark and Yonge... that is going to be interesting.

Last edited:
Ontario Announces Two Transit-Oriented Communities for the Yonge North Subway Extension

The Ontario government is proposing to build two vibrant communities at Bridge and High Tech stations – along the Yonge North Subway Extension – that would help create more housing, more jobs and space for recreation and leisure within walking distance of the TTC’s extended Line 1.

Consultations with the City of Richmond Hill, the City of Markham, the City of Vaughan and York Region are currently underway, with public consultations beginning later this Fall.

The transit-oriented communities at Bridge and High Tech Stations would include commercial, office and retail space to support approximately 14,000 new jobs in the region. The proposed communities would be served by the future Yonge North Subway Extension, GO regional service, VIVA Rapid Transit and the encompassing major highways.

From the above: Bridge Transit Oriented Community Site:

1631887811968.png

High Tech - Transit Oriented Community Site:

1631887874764.png

Translation: they'll expedite development approvals and grant additional density.

Indeed - and no details on the heights/densities etc. but given the size of these sites, it's obviously going to:
a) Be a lot more than we've already seen in the RH and Markham plans. The Markham TOC is a little more than half of Langstaff Gateway and Richmond Hill's appears to be all of Richmond Hill Centre, maybe more.
b) Be a completely different scale than what we've already seen on Ontario Line

(and c) bring a nice chunk of change for Ontario taxpayers! Maybe enough for another station? We'll see!)

[correction:: the RHC TOC isn't totally in sync with the RHC secondary plan area... doesn't go as far north but may go further east. It's the 'prime' lands anyway. Anyone want to start a betting table on heights, number of towers, residential units etc?]

Back