News   Apr 16, 2024
 197     0 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 686     3 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 477     3 

Roads: Gardiner Expressway catch-all, incl. Hybrid Design (2015-onwards)

It would have cost more to rehab it, than knock it down. The need for rehab is what's driving the timing on this.
I would say that a bigger driver of the timing and speed with which this is moving ahead is the fact that the mouth of the Don is about to be widened and that would not be possible without moving or 'adjusting' the Gardiner over it.

From Friday evening

850_2710.jpg
850_2720.jpg
850_2738.jpg
850_2749.jpg
850_2789.jpg
850_2804.jpg
850_2829.jpg
850_2861.jpg

I would say that a bigger driver of the timing and speed with which this is moving ahead is the fact that the mouth of the Don is about to be widened and that would not be possible without moving or 'adjusting' the Gardiner over it.
I haven't look at the plans, but I'd think that a temporary solution around the piers for the Gardiner would suffice. I'd have thought that the Lake Shore bridge would be a bigger issue - though I believe that too is part of this contract.

Are they permanently removing this off/on ramp?
Happy to say "YES" and should happen from the DVP to Yonge section as well. Sad part, the section between Cherry and the DVP will be rebuilt along with a new Lake Shore Rd and bridges over the Mouth of the Don

Was planning to visit the site today and that never happen

Are they permanently removing this off/on ramp?
No they aren't, they are shifting it further west, as shown in the graphic above from W. K. Lis,. Though the new ramp isn't part of this contract, so sometime after 2025 - probably before they close the existing ramps from the Gardiner to the DVP.

I'm sorry don't really see how this improves anything people are going to complain because they are stuck in more traffic. This plan is flawed because it doesn't help with anything that is existing. Once completed all it will do is take longer for people to get to the Gardner expressway, the lakeshore Blvd is not going to be easier for people to cross at all. People who think that this is going to change anything are delusional and have no idea on how this is going to impact the traffic in the area all because some extremely short sited council members who are yes men to everything that our mayor says agreed to a bad plan four years ago.

I'm sorry don't really see how this improves anything people are going to complain because they are stuck in more traffic. This plan is flawed because it doesn't help with anything that is existing. Once completed all it will do is take longer for people to get to the Gardner expressway, the lakeshore Blvd is not going to be easier for people to cross at all. People who think that this is going to change anything are delusional and have no idea on how this is going to impact the traffic in the area all because some extremely short sited council members who are yes men to everything that our mayor says agreed to a bad plan four years ago.
This is not a strategy to increase the roadway capacity for cars. Toronto decided long ago that it wasn't going to follow the Detroit path where cars come first and living comes second. This is a neighborhood and city building project, not a project to build a 16 lane freeway. Traffic was always going to be bad on the Gardiner... it is a free highway with only 2-3 lanes each way going through the largest city in Canada and it was never going to be widened. After the project this will be a destination, not a through fare to somewhere else, and will have many transit options to get there. Where are these people going in their cars and how is the best use of downtown and waterfront land taking people in cars to somewhere else when instead they could be building the place they want to go where they already are?

Great photos and info, but a nice aerial shot would be nice for people who don't know the area as much, showing the progress moving forward. Traffic definatley must not be nice for people who live, work & play in that area daily.

I just cycled past the demo, it's so much more open! Reinforces my opinion that the whole of the elevated Gardiner ought to have been demolished!
Which can't be done unless you replace it with something else. Taking it down the entire length will just mean that lakeshore Blvd will have to be much wider than it is and there isn't space to do it.

Back