Toronto 250 University | 155.76m | 47s | Northam | IBI Group

You can hear a pin drop in the Financial District after 8PM

I think this is an outdated sterotype perpetuated by those who do not spend much time in the Financial District. Was it true at one time? Nearly certainly. But even in the last ~7 years that I have been working here, things have livened up quite a bit. There are more decent bars & restaurants at street level opening every year.

By no means am I saying it's as popular and busy during non-workday times as some other areas, but it is far from "pin drop" when I leave work late or head in on the weekend.

I think this is an outdated sterotype perpetuated by those who do not spend much time in the Financial District. Was it true at one time? Nearly certainly. But even in the last ~7 years that I have been working here, things have livened up quite a bit. There are more decent bars & restaurants at street level opening every year.

By no means am I saying it's as popular and busy during non-workday times as some other areas, but it is far from "pin drop" when I leave work late or head in on the weekend.

Agreed. I was out after a concert in the summer and went to Drake 150's outdoor patio at Adelaide & York. It was maybe 11pm and yet it was packed and the streets were busy. Lots of people at Cactus and King Taps, The Keg, Hy's, 3 Brewers, etc. The City of Toronto is trying to make it impsosible to add any residential directly in the financial district (TO Core plan, right?) but there are large populations nearby and lots of people in hotels, and working late in offices, etc.

I specifically said where people chose to hang out. Obviously pedestrian demand for sidewalk will be greater in places with higher residential and office workers densities. That's not an indicator that these are destinations for leisure and entertainment. College is bumping well into the night. You can hear a pin drop in the Financial District after 8PM

That wasn't even true 20 years ago!

Briefly, after graduating uni, I was a security guard at one of the downtown skyscrapers for literally six weeks.

I worked swing shift, evenings and weekends.

I can tell you there was lots of traffic even then. Not to suggest the neighbourhood was lively at 11pm, most nights...........

But at 8pm?

I can tell you we 3 floors of people doing coding/programming work......(boy did they have a fun office) ....it didn't even start to hop there till 5pm.....they would regularly go to 3am.

This was in a building in the very core of the Financial District.

Since then, it has gotten much, much busier.

I walk through on the weekend and streets are busy......many street-facing shops are open on Richmond, on Adelaide and on Bay.

Hey all, I actually work in this building.

Theoretically, when can one expect this project to actually start/finish?

Hey all, I actually work in this building.

Theoretically, when can one expect this project to actually start/finish?
We are coming up to 3 years since this was submitted to the City for review (May 1, 2018), and Northam has neither revised their proposal nor appealed the lack of a decision by the City to the LPAT… so one could guess that the planning department is resistant to the proposal, and Northam are not so certain of their chances with an appeal.

So to answer your question… at this point, theoretically never.

We are coming up to 3 years since this was submitted to the City for review (May 1, 2018), and Northam has neither revised their proposal nor appealed the lack of a decision by the City to the LPAT… so one could guess that the planning department is resistant to the proposal, and Northam are not so certain of their chances with an appeal.

So to answer your question… at this point, theoretically never.

I'd be fine with that. The existing building is a gem.

Sweet! Good to see some intensification going on, glad they are keeping the existing building.

The only thing that is wrong is that the tower is ugly, if it was a nicer tower...
Yeah. It's like no architects are up to the challenge of a compatible vertical extension. In some ways, it does respect the existing architecture though I must admit.

While theoretically it is conceivable a tower could be added it is inconceivable any developer would put the money into materials which would give justice to the existing building. The current proposal is ample evidence.

Sweet! Good to see some intensification going on, glad they are keeping the existing building.

Wait what? They're keeping the building? I was under the impression that 95% of this building will end up at the city dump. Surely only the exterior walls will survive as a reminder of what once stood there?

Some subtle design changes in the August 27, 2021 resubmission:

unia.JPG

Back