News   Apr 23, 2024
 207     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 416     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 1.2K     0 

Roads: Gardiner Expressway catch-all, incl. Hybrid Design (2015-onwards)

Your first mistake was driving to get there. I’d take the GO + Uber for that one. I think I walked Yonge from Bloor to the lake faster than any car got from Front to the Gardiner 🤣
I’m not taking public transit until Covid is well and truly under control, and haven’t since March 2020. We just rescheduled to yesterday at 1pm and the Gardiner was wide open, door to door Cabagetown to Humber Bay East in about 20 mins. That’s my plan as a driver nowadays in this city, schedule my driving for the least busy times, rather than rely on public transit.

and what the hell is with closing off the Jarvis east bound ramp to the Gardiner? Didn't this thing just open? Didn't the city just do years of construction to put it in place, and now it's closed? Seriously?

That makes me wonder if they realize those are election signs they see on the lawn and not advertisment.
I'm voting for "FOR SALE". Second choice, "FOR RENT".

18x24-for-rent-sign_1024x.jpg
From link.

and what the hell is with closing off the Jarvis east bound ramp to the Gardiner? Didn't this thing just open? Didn't the city just do years of construction to put it in place, and now it's closed? Seriously?
I believe the thinking was that they needed to simplify the signals for all the eastbound traffic now exiting the Gardiner at Jarvis. If they don't have to weave the folks trying to get on the highway from Lake Shore through the folks exiting they can get more traffic off the Gardiner faster .... smack dab into a traffic jam. Ah well. I guess they won't be able to use the newly rebuilt on-ramp until they build the new off-ramp at Cherry some years hence.
Will the Jarvis eastbound off-ramp eventually be removed?

I think it’ll take a few weeks (maybe a month) for people to get used to the new normal and for traffic volumes to stabilize. I’m curious what things will look like then.

I believe the thinking was that they needed to simplify the signals for all the eastbound traffic now exiting the Gardiner at Jarvis. If they don't have to weave the folks trying to get on the highway from Lakeshore through the folks exiting they can get more traffic off the Gardiner faster .... smack dab into a traffic jam. Ah well. I guess they won't be able to use the newly rebuilt on-ramp until they build the new off-ramp at Cherry some years hence.
Will the Jarvis eastbound off-ramp eventually be removed?
The Jarvis east-bound off-ramp will be shortened and end at Yonge (I assume its name will change too!) Not sure on the timing but it's connected to the developments on the LCBO site etc.

Sept 3
With the amount of equipment sitting at the east end of the ramp along with spare parts, time will not be wasted in removing the existing decking before removing the steel beams this long weekend. More equipment was arriving as I was shooting the area after I left the ramp area.

They were sitting up other equipment next to the Keating channel as well for protection of not having material falling into the water.

It took me all week to find a day to get the last shots of the expressway before it came down and it was tight doing it that day.

The area is going to look a hell lot better with this section gone and when the rest get moves to the north. Still better off removing the whole things regardless of adding an extra 5-10 minute travel time for 30,000 drivers.

As for the removal of the Jarvis off ramp, it was plan to happen next year, but like other things, it can be push back a few years. Pinnacle north tower can't be built until the new ramp is in place as well the whole corner for Yonge and Lake Shore.

Don't know the time table for rebuilding Lake Shore over the Don, but will be in 2 phases. First phase would for one of the 2 bridges where traffic will be a single lane on one lane road while the other is lengthen and widen and shift upon completion to do the other lane. The rail bridge and the pedestrian/cycles bridge will be remove as well and replace with a longer one.
51424644543_c2b87c7e49_b.jpg

51423644982_dbcfb16bf0_b.jpg

51424391786_0ba37b65e5_b.jpg

51425153319_3cdc1f5c38_b.jpg

51423644487_f5e5b2812f_b.jpg

51425375370_f7704464af_b.jpg

51424643393_9ba5ea0f75_b.jpg

51424390071_7c1d8988f3_b.jpg

51424643068_d1574f590c_b.jpg

51423643577_d83e2072f4_b.jpg

51425151794_54c3a9d237_b.jpg

51424642528_a077ed280d_b.jpg

51425151569_428a9f5c41_b.jpg

51424389146_a8cdb885ce_b.jpg

51425151409_44a5f79904_b.jpg

51424902128_0571355bf8_b.jpg

51425414619_0a3524b63e_b.jpg

Last edited:
Drum118 great post and photos as always.

I took my family there tonight to watch from a safe difference. My kids were fascinated by it. I was trying to explain what I guess was the process, but would love an expert explanation of it. What are the steps roughly?

I guessed it was:

1) Remove ashpalt

2) Jackhammer away concrete and rebar of bridge deck

3) Cut and remove steel girders

4) Then jack hammer and remove concrete and rebar of bridge supports?

That's about it right?

Drum118 great post and photos as always.

I took my family there tonight to watch from a safe difference. My kids were fascinated by it. I was trying to explain what I guess was the process, but would love an expert explanation of it. What are the steps roughly?

I guessed it was:

1) Remove ashpalt

2) Jackhammer away concrete and rebar of bridge deck

3) Cut and remove steel girders

4) Then jack hammer and remove concrete and rebar of bridge supports?

That's about it right?
That about right.

What I saw on Friday, no asphalt on the ramp with the centre median removed. Parts of the eastbound lane was partly broken up with a larger dump truck removing concrete off site to somewhere..

Don't expect to see any concrete on the roadway after this weekend.

May see a fair amount of girders/beam off the piers as well and store on the north side of the Lake Shore.

Plan on getting down there either Sunday or Monday to have a look at the area.

The rebar has to be separated from the concrete to go to the scrap yard to get some money for it.

They could close the inside lane this week to remove the bents outside of peak time.

I keep forgetting a lot of that material does get recycled. Certainly the steel and the asphalt. Does concrete get recycled?

I keep forgetting a lot of that material does get recycled. Certainly the steel and the asphalt. Does concrete get recycled?
Yes today not like the past where it went to the dump or X. It gets broken down to various size to the point it ends up being concrete again or becomes part of the road base.

Recycling play a large part these days for things being torn down.

So this is kind of exciting... I guess they're using thermal/thermic lances to cut through the huge, thick steel sections as a crane lifts them aways.

And I'm guessing it's not just the horizontal girders, but the actual VERTICAL supports are also big steel pieces in many places.

That's a lot of burner bar work!!

IMG_3686 (1).jpeg

IMG_3563.jpeg

IMG_3572.jpeg

Screen Shot 2021-09-05 at 9.13.03 AM.png

Last edited:
With the removal of the steel structure at Don Ways this weekend, it will allow access to the DVP for the coming weekend closures without being interfered with the rest of the removal. Got to keep the car folks happy.

Not all the steel beams/girders went from pier to pier, but were cantilever and bolted where one connected to another one.

Back