Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Metrolinx contractors have been taking soil samples around Royal Orchard this week:

20210827_193328.jpg
20210827_193340.jpg
20210827_193351.jpg
20210827_193411.jpg
20210827_193740.jpg

20210827_193309.jpg

Attachments

• 20210827_193319.jpg
    20210827_193319.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 76
Metrolinx contractors have been taking soil samples around Royal Orchard this week:
I apologize in advance but with so many other similar posts in this section of the thread it is hard to hold back.

They may take away our soil, but they'll never take our freedom!!!

Looks like I'll have to drop the councilor and the local candidates another email to disabuse them of their idiocy around option 3.

It's a tricky needle they're trying to thread.

"We are so grateful that, after years of waiting, we are finally getting a subway! And we're thrilled about that Clark station! Thornhill property values, no slouch right now, will go through the roof! But, um, we're not sure about the route you've come up with that actually enables all this other stuff and, based on no actual evidence, think this will utterly destroy our neighbourhood, tank our property values and ruin our lives, so please change it and, no, we don't want to know if Option 1 will cost more or have negative effects. That's someone else's problem. "

Acknowledging Metrolinx needs to do a better job communicating, I'll eat my hat if anyone in this neighbourhood knows how deep the tunnels even are there.

(and the Feds are chipping in money, and it's nice everyone is posturing for the election but it's so unlikely that they would tell Metrolinx to change the route, it costs the candidates nothing to take this position.)

It's a tricky needle they're trying to thread.

"We are so grateful that, after years of waiting, we are finally getting a subway! And we're thrilled about that Clark station! Thornhill property values, no slouch right now, will go through the roof! But, um, we're not sure about the route you've come up with that actually enables all this other stuff and, based on no actual evidence, think this will utterly destroy our neighbourhood, tank our property values and ruin our lives, so please change it and, no, we don't want to know if Option 1 will cost more or have negative effects. That's someone else's problem. "

Acknowledging Metrolinx needs to do a better job communicating, I'll eat my hat if anyone in this neighbourhood knows how deep the tunnels even are there.

(and the Feds are chipping in money, and it's nice everyone is posturing for the election but it's so unlikely that they would tell Metrolinx to change the route, it costs the candidates nothing to take this position.)
You had a rapid transit radial line on its own right-of-way along Yonge Street. Then they had a bustitution (along with the Spadina) starting on October 11, 1948, because of a electricity power shortage. However, to appease the automobile users, they widened Yonge Street to use the former radial right-of-way for the all mighty automobile, instead of improving the right-of-way. Only now they realized their big mistake.

metropolitan-map.jpg
From link.

You had a rapid transit radial line on its own right-of-way along Yonge Street. Then they had a bustitution (along with the Spadina) starting on October 11, 1948, because of a electricity power shortage. However, to appease the automobile users, they widened Yonge Street to use the former radial right-of-way for the all mighty automobile, instead of improving the right-of-way. Only now they realized their big mistake.

metropolitan-map.jpg
From link.

That assigns an unreasonable level of foresight to a decision made over 70 years ago. Newmarket in1950 was 5000 people.

That assigns an unreasonable level of foresight to a decision made over 70 years ago. Newmarket in1950 was 5000 people.
2016, Newmarket had 84,224.

And Toronto (using today's borders) had 1,068,000 people in 1950. In 2016, it was 2,731,571. 2021 census results come out in February 9, 2022, if not earlier.

Last edited:
2016, Newmarket had 84,224.

And Toronto (using today's borders) had 1,068,000 people in 1950. In 2016, it was 2,731,571. 2021 census results come out in February 9, 2022, if not earlier.
I'm not sure how that bolsters your point, but anyway . . . My point was we can't condemn decisions made long ago by using today's knowledge. I couldn't find population data for York County back in the '40s and '50s, but I'm not sure how we could reasonably expect decision-makers back then to anticipate the growth the region would later experience as it transitioned from a largely rural area with interspersed towns. The radial service was losing money (I believe it was privately or municipally owned and operated by the TTC under contract) and had been significantly truncated from what it once was.

Perhaps future folks will condemn the decision to tear up the rail line through Omemee or Teeswater; 'gad, what were those bumpkins thinking'.

A protest is being organized by the anti-Option 3 refined folks. While they talk about "Option 3" below, Metrolinx is actually going with "Option 3 refined". I'll post the link of people haven't seen it.

JOIN our peaceful Royal Orchard… THORNHILL community PROTEST against METROLINX - Yonge North Subway Extension - OPTION 3
KEEP THE SUBWAY ON YONGE!
Friday September 17
10 am - 11:30 am
Banquo Road Drill Site
• Both Vaughan and Markham Councils rejected Metrolinx’s Option 3 for the Yonge North Subway Extension and called for a return to the Option 1 alignment, which has already received provincial Environmental Assessment approval.
• Residents continue to voice concerns regarding the adverse environmental, economic, health and social impacts of the Metrolinx plan to tunnel under an established and diverse community of schools, ravines, places of worship and homes.
No Meaningful Consultation:
• Metrolinx developed its Option 3 subway alignment without public consultation.
• Metrolinx’s disclosure that they have never executed tunneling under a residential community is very alarming.
• Residents’ inquiries to Metrolinx about the impacts of their plans have been met with silence or very general responses.
• With many residents not receiving notice, Metrolinx started conducting borehole drilling in the Royal Orchard community from mid August and will continue to late November. The geotechnical fieldwork will support their planning of the subway alignment.
Unite with Us and Join Our Voices:
• Join with us to protest against drilling in our community and call for the “YONGE” north subway extension to stay on Yonge Street.
• Keith Irish, Councillor for Ward 1 Markham; Peter Kent MP for Thornhill, Melissa Lantsman, federal PC candidate, Gary Gladstone, federal Liberal candidate, are attending; other federal candidates and media are also invited.
• Let’s show Metrolinx that community matters!

1631723639714.png

Last edited:
A protest is being organized by the anti-Option 3 refined folks. While they talk about "Option 3" below, Metrolinx is actually going with "Option 3 refined". I'll post the link of people haven't seen it.

View attachment 349102
Hell yeah bros, get out your protest signs and defend our VERY IMPORTANT single family homes!

Back