Toronto Pinnacle One Yonge | 345.5m | 105s | Pinnacle | Hariri Pontarini

^it will be between L tower and Prestige. right?
Actually I think 11 Bay would rise left of L Tower in this particular view... perhaps a bit left of the 2 towers of the Harbour Castle hotel (blocking some of Pinnacle's earlier work ;-).

Another snap from the island this weekend. Nice extension of the skyline eastwards

View attachment 343453

With 212 King, Gehry Towers, Union Centre, Union Park, 160 Front, Canada House popping up the West should fill out eventually.

And in the east we'll have 5 towers over 250 m (2 in this development plus 3 in Sugar Wharf Phase 2), in addition to this tower and Sugar Wharf Phase 1, all over 200 m. The skyline will no longer be dominated by the financial district towers in the coming years.

Here's a rough approximation of that future view:
Sky Tower will dominate the lake view for years to come and its impact will only be less felt when towers like 11 Bay and Union Centre are added to the mix. Gehry and 212 King are quite a bit north from here, and look seemingly small by comparison.

Future Toronto Skyline 2.jpg

Here is my take on the downtown postcard view. I tried to match up the angle as best I could to line up with the previous similar views.

Toronto Model 08-24-21 Downtown.png

And here is a fly-by of downtown from East to West:

Here is my take on the downtown postcard view. I tried to match up the angle as best I could to line up with the previous similar views.

View attachment 343790

And here is a fly-by of downtown from East to West:

We need more tall skyscrapers on the west side of the CN Tower
Agreed. All of these 300 to 315 metre skyscrapers are creating an undesirable tabletop effect. This new skyline lacks visual focal points, with the exception of the CN Tower.

One or two 350+ metres skyscrapers in the core would help break up the visual uniformity. Heck, even a substantial spire would do it, while complementing the CN tower rather well.

Last edited:
Agreed. All of these 300 to 315 metre skyscrapers are creating an undesirable tabletop effect. One or two 350+ metres skyscrapers in the core would help break up the visual uniformity. Heck, even a substantial spire would do it, while complementing the CN tower rather well.

Tabletop skylines get created in Toronto because other near by buildings are allowed to build to the same height. Case in point the Yonge-Gerrard area where after Aura being approved, other tall buildings are also approved for similar heights.

New York for example, you have to purchase air rights, which creates very tall buildings scattered all over.

I personally like that view, gives the city a very chaotic and overwhelming sense. Toronto appears very manicured and just does not overload the senses which detracts from a big city vibe IMO.

When I was in my mid-20's, I dug out the old family 'etch-a-sketch' (google it) and could do the Toronto skyline at that time in about 10 minutes. I'd start with the CN Tower for height perspective on the screen, then move along to the Royal York Hotel (which you could still see in the classic Island postcard view - I intentionally did not include those lakeshore apartments or Westin because they were so hideous) then drop in the TWO towers of TD Centre, and behind it popped up FCP, then moving further east CCW and the classic CCN, the old Montreal Trust building, before moving just east to include the original Toronto 'skyscrapers: the little cluster at King & Yonge. It had that very pyramid feel, and was very easy to draw. I did it from my minds eye as I was such a skyscraper geek at that time. I hate to think of how hard it would be to draw today's skyline on the ole etch-a-sketch...much less 5-10 years from now!

Back