Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

What will truly be interesting is to see how they will light up the sign without any visible wiring.

AoD
An area the size of a sign is usually empty space.

Theoretically, given the size and distance from the ground, pack it full of batteries, LEDs and run large TCO films from each side of the window gap.

Yesterday evening;

IMG_7533.jpg

I can't put my finger on it, but somehow it feels like this site it way more constrained than it actually is. Like, I can see they just loaded in a pile of rebar and forming stuff, but it looks like they're cramming material in everywhere. I'm sure it'll open up for the them once they get into the repetitive tower floors and they get their ACS setup, but the laydown and shakeout just looks rage-inducing right now.

Maybe it's the combination of the missing pours everywhere, plus the lack of the ACS, and then a bit of the staging? Like, it looks like the next priority would be forming up the walls, but they brought in the rods before they got the forms up, so now the formwork needs to work around the piles of rebar everywhere. I guess it can't be easy to arrange delivery schedules at Yonge and Bloor, either, so maybe they're just taking material when they can get it?

I have to admit seeing all that rebar without forms got my attention. I would think getting the main super columns built up with concrete would be priority number one unless they need to align the steel columns further. It appears to me to be a unique and non intuitive build process but I'm sure there is a method to the madness. One thing for sure it's got me glued to this thread. Most entertaining thing I've seen construction wise in years. Bring it on.

I can't put my finger on it, but somehow it feels like this site it way more constrained than it actually is. Like, I can see they just loaded in a pile of rebar and forming stuff, but it looks like they're cramming material in everywhere. I'm sure it'll open up for the them once they get into the repetitive tower floors and they get their ACS setup, but the laydown and shakeout just looks rage-inducing right now.

Maybe it's the combination of the missing pours everywhere, plus the lack of the ACS, and then a bit of the staging? Like, it looks like the next priority would be forming up the walls, but they brought in the rods before they got the forms up, so now the formwork needs to work around the piles of rebar everywhere. I guess it can't be easy to arrange delivery schedules at Yonge and Bloor, either, so maybe they're just taking material when they can get it?
Thank you. I mean it. You're 100% right, there is NO space on this site, and you're not alone to say that. Every trade complains, but we simply have no where else to laydown material/staging. It really is rage-indusing. Deliveries always have to be timed with every single trade and the location doesn't help being one of the busiest intersections in the city.
The sequence of this building is nothing like a regular tower, there are repetitions, yes, however a full cycle is much longer than one would expect.

You're right, we would be putting up forms right now but we need to put up the mega columns now to provide work for the iron workers and reduce costs of mobilizing and demobilizing for them. You'll see that after they are done with the megacolumns and internals, they'll move on to a portion of the west bank canopy, and hop over to the heritage once that cut back is poured.

Back to the tower. Once the megas are up, the rebar for the walls will start being placed, which was delivered today, one wall only. The pain in the ass threading of 35M bars at specific heights is just as much rage inducing as not having space on site. Hence why we don't have forums up /on site yet. They'll be on site shortly as we put up more of the walls.

In the coming weeks, you'll also notice the south podium being decked over, to have one flat level that will permit for easier movement from the ground hoist to the future tower hoist. It will also serve as a storage/staging area for the site/tower.

It would take me about half a day to explain the sequence of building the tower... But I think that kinda gives you an idea of what issues are being faced building this thing!
I'll just wait till I see more questions on here and I'll do my best to answer them.

I have to admit seeing all that rebar without forms got my attention. I would think getting the main super columns built up with concrete would be priority number one unless they need to align the steel columns further. It appears to me to be a unique and non intuitive build process but I'm sure there is a method to the madness. One thing for sure it's got me glued to this thread. Most entertaining thing I've seen construction wise in years. Bring it on.
Always a method to the madness, but calling it madness is an understament. It's insane. 😂

Thank you. I mean it. You're 100% right, there is NO space on this site, and you're not alone to say that. Every trade complains, but we simply have no where else to laydown material/staging. It really is rage-indusing. Deliveries always have to be timed with every single trade and the location doesn't help being one of the busiest intersections in the city.
The sequence of this building is nothing like a regular tower, there are repetitions, yes, however a full cycle is much longer than one would expect.

You're right, we would be putting up forms right now but we need to put up the mega columns now to provide work for the iron workers and reduce costs of mobilizing and demobilizing for them. You'll see that after they are done with the megacolumns and internals, they'll move on to a portion of the west bank canopy, and hop over to the heritage once that cut back is poured.

Back to the tower. Once the megas are up, the rebar for the walls will start being placed, which was delivered today, one wall only. The pain in the ass threading of 35M bars at specific heights is just as much rage inducing as not having space on site. Hence why we don't have forums up /on site yet. They'll be on site shortly as we put up more of the walls.

In the coming weeks, you'll also notice the south podium being decked over, to have one flat level that will permit for easier movement from the ground hoist to the future tower hoist. It will also serve as a storage/staging area for the site/tower.

It would take me about half a day to explain the sequence of building the tower... But I think that kinda gives you an idea of what issues are being faced building this thing!
I'll just wait till I see more questions on here and I'll do my best to answer them.
Thanks for all the insight! I've always (wrongly) held the view that construction workers just kinda show up, do their thing, and head home and that they don't actually care about what they're building. It's awesome to see people who work on these projects who are also apart of our little skyscraper fan club over here!

I can't speak for everyone else but I'd certainly be interested in hearing about the sequence it'll take to build this thing. Of course I dont want you to waste have a day either lmao but know theres definitely people who would be interested in hearing more.

And since you asked for questions I have two of them! First, since you're posting here, do you pay attention to any of the other buildings going up in the city? I'm particularly interested to know if you are at all paying attention to the potential supertall race between this building and pinnacle one yonge.

Secondly what part of this building are you looking most forward to getting to/working on?

Thanks for all the insight! I've always (wrongly) held the view that construction workers just kinda show up, do their thing, and head home and that they don't actually care about what they're building. It's awesome to see people who work on these projects who are also apart of our little skyscraper fan club over here!

I can't speak for everyone else but I'd certainly be interested in hearing about the sequence it'll take to build this thing. Of course I dont want you to waste have a day either lmao but know theres definitely people who would be interested in hearing more.

And since you asked for questions I have two of them! First, since you're posting here, do you pay attention to any of the other buildings going up in the city? I'm particularly interested to know if you are at all paying attention to the potential supertall race between this building and pinnacle one yonge.

Secondly what part of this building are you looking most forward to getting to/working on?
Thank you very much for the welcome!

I'll work on a mini presentation to explain the future sequence of this building, and I'll touch a little bit on some challenges as well. Keep in mind I won't be able to give exact dates, measurements or disclose any information that may violate someone's privacy (company).

1) I personally do pay attention and I do hear about others towers. In my short time in high-rise, I've noticed there is a very small circle of people and word gets around quickly. Bad news faster than good usually. The one Yonge project has been mentioned a few times, but we like to remind people we've applied for an extension of 10 floors, and that if the one Yonge doesn't raise the tower, we will be the tallest building. Here's to hoping I can write down on my CV, I've worked on the tallest residential building in Canada.

2) I personally wanted to see level 3 (2nd floor of the tower) complete first. As many of you know, we had shoring holding up shoring... When inside, you couldn't really picture the full image of how massive that space is. It's always nice to see how impressed people are once they are inside and realize just how big the space is.
Now that it's done, I'm looking forward to seeing level 6 complete and starting to install the diagonals. After that, my next goal will be level 17&18 mechanical floors. Those will be also very interesting to see complete. Soon after that, we will be dropping in selfclimbing interior elevators.

In all honesty, I also can't wait till we finish the project and be at the top floor having a perfect 360 view of the city. I'll be sure to post pictures of the top :)

Edit: I tried to reply this morning but I kept getting busy. Finally got to type it all out and realized I still had half of my last reply at the top..

Back