News   Apr 19, 2024
 919     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 669     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.1K     3 

GO Transit Fleet Equipment and other

That track that the train is on is the (former CP) Galt Sub, so that train is from Milton.

And yes, they were cycling some equipment back from Milton, in exchange for fresh locos and cars.

Dan
But 2xL12 Trainsets? So they broke them up into 4xL6 at milton? I thought they were not running L12's even post pandemic.

But 2xL12 Trainsets? So they broke them up into 4xL6 at milton? I thought they were not running L12's even post pandemic.
There are cars stored all over the network that are plugged into the wayside systems, but without locos. The locos have a different maintenance and inspection schedule, and so are kept at Willowbrook and Whitby.

So yes, they could easily have built 2 of the 6-car trainsets into L12s with spare coaches that needed to be brought back, coupled the two trains up and brought them down with a single crew. Or they could have have uncoupled the locos from their trainsets (but left the coaches plugged in to the wayside), grabbed strings of stored coaches and brought those down.

Dan

One only has to look at various areas where L12 car trains were store to see nothing but coaches end to end there now with no power, Can see this from the 401. Georgetown is another location along with the east Don yard. Then there is Willowbrook yard..

I thought has occurred to me. Has GO/Metrolinx retired any of it's bi-level cars, or have they just refurbished every one right from the eighties onwards?

I thought has occurred to me. Has GO/Metrolinx retired any of it's bi-level cars, or have they just refurbished every one right from the eighties onwards?
Go to this page as it very detail

I believe the Wikipedia page on the fleet is fairly accurate, but suffice to say that while a large number of cab cars were converted to coaches when the new cabs came online, and a small number of older units went to TRE, the vast majority of bi-levels are still around.
GO has only sold off 12 cars - the 10 coaches and 2 cab cars to TRE.

Every single other BiLevel that they have ever purchased (now amounting to 952 cars) remains in active service, although some are currently away getting more major maintenance or refitting.

Dan

For those who may not be familiar with the abbreviated name, TRE is Trinity Railway Express, a commuter rail in the Dallas Fort Worth area. Wikipedia entry at:

And speaking of the former GO BiLevel railcars sold to Trinity Rail Express - on Monday July 12, a TRE BiLevel car was seen in the CAD Railway Industries shop yards in Lachine, just outside of Montreal, during our visit there. No way of knowing for sure whether or not it was one of the former GO cars, or one of the BiLevels that TRE had subsequently acquired elsewhere. It was having seen the branding on that car that triggered me into looking up 'Trinity Express', in the first place.

And speaking of the former GO BiLevel railcars sold to Trinity Rail Express - on Monday July 12, a TRE BiLevel car was seen in the CAD Railway Industries shop yards in Lachine, just outside of Montreal, during our visit there. No way of knowing for sure whether or not it was one of the former GO cars, or one of the BiLevels that TRE had subsequently acquired elsewhere. It was having seen the branding on that car that triggered me into looking up 'Trinity Express', in the first place.
TRE had sent both of their ex-GO cab cars to CAD for some mid-life refurbishment work. Both have been modified to no longer be cab cars, and have been renumbered. The first was sent back a month or two ago, what you saw was likely the other one being finished up.

Dan

From today.

Screenshot_2021-08-03_152508.jpg

They should've given some a complete Olympics wrap to support our athletes.
Stuff like that is kind of tricky because the host country owns the rights to use the Olympic rings and associated logos and has to give permission for them to be used. There are exceptions like for example lighting Olympic caldeens during the games but that has to be cleared with the IOC as well.

Back