News   Mar 28, 2024
 402     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 372     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 721     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

And the reason they split it at Finch West isn't necessarily dictated by the established travel patterns, or by where the majority of riders want to go. I can think of two other reasons.

First, a completely sensible one, but temporary: construction-related disruptions. Splitting the route spares the Keele - Yonge section from those distructions, and also makes the management of the west-of-Keele section a bit easier.

And the second reason: they might want the riders to get used to transferring at Finch West. After the Phase 1 of LRT opens, the riders will not bug Metrolinx with requests to extend to Yonge, until Metrolinx actually gets the funding for such an extension.
I believe the split of the 36 Finch West was due to the subway extension. Also, there’s less ridership on the Yonge-Keele segment than the rest of the route (if it wasn’t, there’s be more thru-service outside select periods). Also, I’d like to go on a hunch and guess that non-local trip patterns would transfer to Line 1 at Finch West to reach their destination.

05.31.2021-12.37.03.-92941-F10-Studio-Mosaic-Transit-Group-FInch-West-LRT-June-Update.jpg
05.26.2021-12.43.32.23-92462-F10-Studio-Mosaic-Transit-Group-FInch-West-LRT-June-Update.jpg

05.31.2021-12.37.03.-92941-F10-Studio-Mosaic-Transit-Group-FInch-West-LRT-June-Update.jpg
05.26.2021-12.43.32.23-92462-F10-Studio-Mosaic-Transit-Group-FInch-West-LRT-June-Update.jpg
For how complete the MSF yard is, the rest of the line seems to be severely lagging behind. They've only got small sections of the LRT tracks poured, with most of Finch Ave W still going through preparation works. We have a long way to go before we see LRTs actually running on Finch West even for testing purposes.

^ I realize this could be difficult but any way for a general comparison to the surface portion progress for Eglinton East between Laird and Kennedy (minus the Science Centre mined tunnel portion dip)?

For how complete the MSF yard is, the rest of the line seems to be severely lagging behind. They've only got small sections of the LRT tracks poured, with most of Finch Ave W still going through preparation works. We have a long way to go before we see LRTs actually running on Finch West even for testing purposes.
MSFs are always constructed way before the rest of the line is ready as they will start housing any rolling stock received during construction.

They claim to be at 33% complete. Once the road is ready, getting the tracks done will be fast. If anything holds this project up it should be the below grade terminals.

Metrolinx claims that the Finch West LRT MSF site was built with "Expansion Capabilities".

Looking at the renderings and drone footage, how is this possible? It looks almost maxed out to me.

Thanks

Metrolinx claims that the Finch West LRT MSF site was built with "Expansion Capabilities".

Looking at the renderings and drone footage, how is this possible? It looks almost maxed out to me.

Thanks
There is a capacity for 27 light rail vehicles. Alstom will provide 18 LRVs for the Finch West LRT line.

In the meantime, they can store your garden furniture during the winter, or your snow shovels during the summer. 😄

From link.

There is a capacity for 27 light rail vehicles. Alstom will provide 18 LRVs for the Finch West LRT line.

In the meantime, they can store your garden furniture during the winter, or your snow shovels during the summer. 😄

From link.
Actually, in the meantime, they can store snowplows, sidewalk plows, etc. in the unused space.

Back