News   Apr 24, 2024
 295     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 497     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 481     0 

Toronto Harbour Ferries

And they are proud it will take them 15+ years to replace 4 ferries? This city is a joke.
Why? They do not all need to be replaced at once and the City are trying to order them as they are needed but as part of a planned replacement. Seems pretty sensible to me!

^Probably because smaller shipyards can't produce them in parallel.... and, as noted, there really isn't any rush.

What's interesting is that if the four are identical, they will all be larger than the Trillium (the oldest, and the largest one on hand), and much larger than the William Inglis - which is just a pocket ferry in comparison to the others.

- Paul

^Probably because smaller shipyards can't produce them in parallel.... and, as noted, there really isn't any rush.

What's interesting is that if the four are identical, they will all be larger than the Trillium (the oldest, and the largest one on hand), and much larger than the William Inglis - which is just a pocket ferry in comparison to the others.

There were 2 models presented in the 2019 meetings. Obviously things may have changed since then. I'm also uncertain which quantity of each model have been ordered; 2 of each?

The first has a capacity for 650 passengers (top 2 decks) plus some number of vehicles on the lowest (3rd) deck. This model will have some ice-breaking capability too.

The second model is for 1300 passengers (all 3 decks), ~300 seated, and no vehicles.

Last edited:
Why? They do not all need to be replaced at once and the City are trying to order them as they are needed but as part of a planned replacement. Seems pretty sensible to me!
The city has known since ~2015 that the ferries need to be replaced. They're already past their service life, and have had reliability issues for quite some time.

Doesnt seem sensible to me to keep delaying fleet replacement if your existing fleet has constant reliability issues.

They likely get a better deal spreading out the purchase (reusable jigs, lessons learned, roll the staff building the ferries from one boat to the next) and they get to spread the payment out. When they first decided they were going to need to replace the ferries it seems like no money had been put aside up to that point.

Last edited:
I'm sure we discussed the replacement of the Ferry fleet elsewhere, but as I can't find that, I'll post this here:

RFP for 2 new ferries is out, one passenger-only, one passenger and vehicle.

I'm sure we discussed the replacement of the Ferry fleet elsewhere, but as I can't find that, I'll post this here:

RFP for 2 new ferries is out, one passenger-only, one passenger and vehicle.

I'm assuming by vehicle, it is for the city to move it's equipment on and off the island like the one they currently have?

It would be quite a awful if they were suddenly allowing cars there. (not like the infrastructure is there for that to work anyways!)

I'm assuming by vehicle, it is for the city to move it's equipment on and off the island like the one they currently have?

It would be quite a awful if they were suddenly allowing cars there.

I think your assumption is safe.

Back