News   Apr 23, 2024
 376     1 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 372     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1K     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

This is indeed the case. But the problem is that this will never change, and hence the reason why the OBRY corridor isn't necessarily worth protecting, especially given the high costs associated with doing so.

The corridor is worth protecting, if nothing else, as a recreational trail.

Portions of it may have current or future utility.

I think a connection from the Milton GO Line to Brampton is important, allowing for suburb to suburb commuting.

It may well be that that connection would be better made (at least in part) using the 407 corridor, however, I wouldn't want anything that might be useful disposed of, until a route is settled upon.

The 407 corridor would not allow for direct access to DT Brampton.

Which makes me wonder whether preserving the OBRY corridor btw the 407 and same might have some value, as a branch line of sorts; the alternative being a connection at Bramalea and a transfer.

I'm not unalterably opposed to transfers, but would want to see service modelling on feasibility.

As a freight corridor, the OBRY may be done. But again, I'd like to see a suite of options considered for the future, before sell-offs that would really would generate very little, but potentially create
expensive problems were there any future utility to those lands.

This is indeed the case. But the problem is that this will never change, and hence the reason why the OBRY corridor isn't necessarily worth protecting, especially given the high costs associated with doing so.
Hopefully the land protections between Brampton and Orangeville never change, but the population of Orangeville and places beyond may at one point create a large enough market of people who need to traverse the Green Belt to warrant service.

The OBRY corridor has a place imho, it travels right through the middle of Peel Region which has 1.5 million people and as it is expected to grow a good transit corridor could be useful. We've lost so many good rail lines over the years to short sighted decision making, let's not continue to make the same mistakes.

Which reminds me. Take it as what you will but back in January, the Transport Action group wrote a letter to Metrolinx on preserving both ORBY and the BCR. This was Metrolinx's response. Will not hold my breath.

1624141538591.png

Does anyone know when the excursion train to Niagara will be reinstated?

Niagara Parks is reopening so it can be expected to start up in due course.

I doubt the Ministry of Tourism would stand by and let the excursion train go away while Niagara Falls is hurting for tourist dollars.

My bigger concern is how many cars the train will be and how they will organize it in terms of capacity. Those trains are slammed on a good day.

It's absolutely hilarious how the government(federal and provincial)are all about reducing our emissions, but they don't give a damn about building new railway lines that will get thousands of people out of the car?

I'm very frustrated at the fact that I will forever need a car to go anywhere but downtown Toronto, because we have absolutely no intercity rail transportation.

Very disappointing we've torn up so many perfect rail corridors, and now it seems we're paying the price.

GO now has schedules up for Niagara GO service. Service starts next weekend with 4 trains a day on the standard "super express" service making it to Aldershot in about 48-50 mins, Niagara Falls in about 2hrs.

This is great news. However, the confusing part: “The popular weekend GO Transit train service to Niagara Falls returns, starting June 26. Tickets include both GO train fare and the convenient WEGO hop-on, hop-off bus, which reaches Niagara Parks sites, hotels and other attractions.” https://blog.metrolinx.com/2021/06/21/niagara-weekend-go-trains-return/

July 23, 2021 - https://www.niagaraparks.com/media-...ks-to-continue-phased-reopening-on-june-18th/
  • Table Rock House Restaurant
  • Niagara Parks Butterfly Conservatory
  • Butterfly Café
  • TaylorMade Fitting Centre (Indoor)
  • WEGO Green Line
The blog article implies WEGO buses are running this weekend. Niagara Parks is saying end of July which I find late and doesn’t make sense.

Maybe shuttle buses are coming back early. To NOTL nothing is stated. Not the best management!

This is great news. However, the confusing part: “The popular weekend GO Transit train service to Niagara Falls returns, starting June 26. Tickets include both GO train fare and the convenient WEGO hop-on, hop-off bus, which reaches Niagara Parks sites, hotels and other attractions.” https://blog.metrolinx.com/2021/06/21/niagara-weekend-go-trains-return/

July 23, 2021 - https://www.niagaraparks.com/media-...ks-to-continue-phased-reopening-on-june-18th/
  • Table Rock House Restaurant
  • Niagara Parks Butterfly Conservatory
  • Butterfly Café
  • TaylorMade Fitting Centre (Indoor)
  • WEGO Green Line
The blog article implies WEGO buses are running this weekend. Niagara Parks is saying end of July which I find late and doesn’t make sense.

Maybe shuttle buses are coming back early. To NOTL nothing is stated. Not the best management!

Where GO transit goes, WEGO will follow.

They would not be running trains to Niagara if there was no way to get to the falls without walking. When the trains first started going there, I used to walk to the falls. It was not exactly easy, nor was it quick.

Good to see Saturday/Sunday/Holiday trains back, but previously, there was a Friday late afternoon train as well. I guess the service is geared to daytrippers right now.

The bus schedule has not changed, meaning a long slog on the all-stops Route 12 otherwise.
The friday afternoon train was canned in 2019 when the regular peak hour commuter service started with the idea that tourist could use that train instead, despite it taking a full 30 mins longer to get to Niagara Falls.

Of course now the regular commuter train has been cut, so Friday is left with nothing.

The friday afternoon train was canned in 2019 when the regular peak hour commuter service started with the idea that tourist could use that train instead, despite it taking a full 30 mins longer to get to Niagara Falls.

Of course now the regular commuter train has been cut, so Friday is left with nothing.
It's possible that it will come back after the pandemic.

Partly because of the back-up move in/out of West Harbour, where an easy track connection to the east was never added?

Yeah, that was great.

Back