Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

There is a conservation angle here, just how many billion $ is it worth, for the minor impact that is being contemplated? Cities shouldn't be frozen in amber at any price.

Last edited:
I don't get this conservation thing.

There isn't even a station that will be affecting the heritage district.

At worst the TBMs will pass under it.

I don't get this conservation thing.

There isn't even a station that will be affecting the heritage district.

At worst the TBMs will pass under it.

Yeah, this was my point. There's really no heritage angle to the Option 3 alignment. I dunno why it was raised.

(and HCDs don't freeze cities in amber, they merely preserve certain buildings and provide guidelines so new construction fits in but again, it's a tangent, to a red herring...)

"Fearful of the monster under the bed"--are you five years old or something?

I emailed the local councillor Keith Irish to say these "community" groups don't represent me.

This is one of those times I'm glad Metrolinx doesn't give a rat's ass about the community lol

This is the moment for someone from Leslieville to thoughtfully suggest making the whole thing above ground on a berm........... :p

The heritage arguments make no sense, even in Old Thornhill. They managed to put a five lane road through the neighbourhood and there are two massive properties south of Old Jane (Tims / Scotiabank and Hanna Bank / Wildbirds Unlimited) that could support station entrances, and a Petro Canada. Now if a station was put there, the traffic would likely mostly be connections to surface transit on Centre and John, because there are obviously many development restrictions in the area, but I don't know how heritage can be a reason for no station here, or a reason not to tunnel on some specific alignment.

The risk here is that Metrolinx will ditch all "neighborhood" stations in order to stay within their funding envelope while reverting to the tunnel option.

There will be stations at Steeles and at Hwy 7, and maybe at High Tech if the latter is so cheap. But none at Royal Orchard, Clark, or Cummer / Drewry.

I hope the province makes them foot the bill then.

They really should provide a nice receipt: "Fine, we'll move the route to ensure your 50 homes don't shake but FYI, we've taken out an ad in the Saturday Star to let everyone in Ontario know they'll be paying the $250 million extra cost, on your behalf, and the train will take 5 minutes longer to get there too, each way, so everyone will be able to thank you for that too. You're welcome!"
:)

The thing that annoys me about the article is just people saying stuff they couldn't possibly know:
They insist there is no rationale to build a subway line through the heart of the neighbourhood, and no guarantee the ongoing mitigation suggested by Metrolinx to keep homes safe and residents comfortable will be delivered.

There's NO RATIONALE? Then why did a team of engineers and experts even consider it, much less recommend it?
They can't guarantee the mitigation will be delivered? So they're lying? Or it that you think they'll put it there and remove it when you're not looking?

“The proposed Option 3 does not adequately address the need or desires of our community and is nothing more than Metrolinx trying to pull a fast one,” the statement [from Peter Kent and Melissa Lantsman] reads.

A fast one? They published it a few months ago. They've had multiple consultations about it. They have to do an EA, which also has consultation. The CEO just said they're looking at other options. Where's the fast one? BS political posturing by a couple of PCs annoyed at a project the Liberals are helping get built. In their riding (federally speaking).

But for Mike Kavouris, who has presented two detailed analyses of what he considers technical and procedural flaws in the plan to the city, vague assurances from Metrolinx to date are merely paying lip service to community concerns.
“It certainly seems like the plan is signed, sealed and just waiting to be delivered,” he said.

Is it? If it's a done deal, why are you causing a fuss, passing council resolutions etc.? Is Mike in the habit of writing detailed anlyses and m aking multiple presentations about why his Grade 7 girlfriend should have married him or it only this foregone conclusion that he can't change that is worthy of him wasting this tremendous out of time?

Will Mike Kavouris go to the newspaper and issue a public apology if they change the alignment because he and a few dozen others demanded it, even while accusing Metrolinx of a) having made a final decision b) lied to them c) made an irrational decision in the first place?
Doubt it.

Sigh.

Last edited:
It seems inevitable at this point that this project becomes a voting issue in upcoming provincial and federal elections. Peter Kent and Melissa Lantsman's statement was, in my opinion, the first sign that the federal Conservatives will end up running against this proposal with the promise of additional funding. What do others think?

Metrolinx doesn't give a shit about community feedback or opinion, but the fact that Conservative MPs are raising concerns will hold more sway.

Unfortunately, this below is the likely outcome:

The risk here is that Metrolinx will ditch all "neighborhood" stations in order to stay within their funding envelope while reverting to the tunnel option.

There will be stations at Steeles and at Hwy 7, and maybe at High Tech if the latter is so cheap. But none at Royal Orchard, Clark, or Cummer / Drewry.

"Express subway" here we come...! 🙄

Back