Toronto 400 Front Street | 195.75m | 59s | State Building Group | Kirkor Architects

Remediation crossed my mind when you mentioned the RSC but that wouldn't be issued until the remediation was finished. If railyards or manufacturing buildings were here before that could have been required remediation. There are no ESAs on the AIC site to review.

There was a single rail track that crossed here. The rail yard itself was where Metro Hall and Roy Thomson Hall are located.

There was a single rail track that crossed here. The rail yard itself was where Metro Hall and Roy Thomson Hall are located.

The rail line came up from the area which is now the Bathurst GO yard, crossed Spadina just where the north end of the bridge is now, and then angled across Front Street over the the yards to the north. The former path of the track can seen along the curved property line between Fly Condos on Front Street and the 400 Front Street West project - the properties on either side of the rail line were, and even though the rail line is long gone, obviously still are in separate hands.

We arrived in Toronto in the summer of 1979. When driving along Front Street, we had to stop and wait when a small freight shuttle - several cars long - was going up the ramp to get to the yards. The rail line was lifted and the residual yards removed somewhere around thirty five to forty years ago.

The rail line came up from the area which is now the Bathurst GO yard, crossed Spadina just where the north end of the bridge is now, and then angled across Front Street over the the yards to the north. The former path of the track can seen along the curved property line between Fly Condos on Front Street and the 400 Front Street West project - the properties on either side of the rail line were, and even though the rail line is long gone, obviously still are in separate hands.

We arrived in Toronto in the summer of 1979. When driving along Front Street, we had to stop and wait when a small freight shuttle - several cars long - was going up the ramp to get to the yards. The rail line was lifted and the residual yards removed somewhere around thirty five to forty years ago.

Yup, the link I posted above is to a photo of a train doing that crossing.

And I remember seeing a train crossing there as a child.

My father took me down to the Spadina Bridge over the rail corridor a few times as a kid to see all the trains, the roundhouse was still in operation and you had lots of freight movements in addition to GO and a lot more VIA than you see now as well.

1970:
1624037869516.png

Google maps show this address as right across from The Well, but these pics don't seem to jive with that. Where is this location?

Google maps show this address as right across from The Well, but these pics don't seem to jive with that. Where is this location?

Where Black meets Red is what you're seeing in the pic you're referencing.

You're facing south-east in that pic.

1624508148865.png

Okays...this may make a little more sense to me...

...the map in question is much older and perhaps a bit off scale, but it indicates there was a huge ass railyard just West of Front W and John. Which for variety of reasons is no long there.

Anywhoose, thanks for enlightening me on that. /bows

Okays...this may make a little more sense to me...

...the map in question is much older and perhaps a bit off scale, but it indicates there was a huge ass railyard just West of Front W and John. Which for variety of reasons is no long there.

There was..........

Can't find a pic of that exact spot..........

But just to the north, here is the rail yard that used to exist at King and Simcoe, where Metro Hall and Roy Thomson Hall are today:

1624532057457.png

From the City Archives, as noted on pic.

Old Blog TO story w/this pic in it: https://www.blogto.com/city/2013/09/how_toronto_turned_a_rail_yard_in_to_roy_thomson_hall/

Back