Whitchurch-Stouffville 5531 Main Street | 57.8m | 16s | Topfar Developments | SG&M Architects

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Article from Feb 2021. Some locals are clearly thrilled by this project:

stouff.jpg

Stouffville is nuts to me. I grew up in uxbridge - at the time Stouffville was a sleepy little town with a few thousand people on the edge of the GTA. It’s just completely exploded into a full on suburb now, condos, overpriced real estate, the whole thing. Uxbridge meanwhile stays comparatively sleepy. Hard to believe they were about the same size towns about 15 years ago.

Stouffville is nuts to me. I grew up in uxbridge - at the time Stouffville was a sleepy little town with a few thousand people on the edge of the GTA. It’s just completely exploded into a full on suburb now, condos, overpriced real estate, the whole thing. Uxbridge meanwhile stays comparatively sleepy. Hard to believe they were about the same size towns about 15 years ago.

Stouffville is, of course, considerably closer to Toronto...........and notably, the 404.

We were all doomed to a sprawling Stouffville when the province extended the 404 north of Highway 7 (construction from 1976, opened 1978).

The only thing that slowed it down was that we still had farms at Passmore and Kennedy then.......I remember the pick-your-own corn!

By which I mean there was more desirable land closer to the City.............now, that has largely vanished.

So it took awhile for the developers reach that far north-east.

Last edited:
There is also much greater acceptance for living near GO transit, which makes Stouffville a top candidate for new intensification.

COVID-induced trends have certainly accelerating things too. Developers are able to sell condo units in markets like Stouffville at much higher premiums compared to just 2 years ago.

The terracotta (brick?) podium is a good start. Wish there was more of that continuing up the tower portion and less grey spandrel with mismatched raised mullions.

Stouffville exploded once it got its sewer system hooked up to the lake.

it is about 10 mins closer to the GTA than Uxbridge too, and Uxbridge is very limited by being located dead in the middle of the Oak Ridges Moraine. I think they are having sewer capacity issues too as they aren’t hooked up to the lake.

this building would be some good density for Stouffville GO, and the town as a whole. There aren’t a ton of apartment buildings in Stouffville still despite it rapidly approaching 50,000 people.

love this detailed precast vintage brick column, cladding etc look for the podium as seen in the photos up above! Would look great for a podium on a new downtown Toronto skyscraper! Which is well needed there in my opinion lol!

This proposal has been shortened from 18 to 16-storeys with zoning approved and awaiting site plan approval. At 16-storeys it will be the tallest building in Stouffville and has earned the moniker "The CN Tower of Stouffville".
Whoa-ho-ho! It was the developers themselves who thought that referring to it that was would be a net positive. Maybe in the no-such-thing-as-bad-publicity way. Come on though… yeesh. This thing is more "The Design Haus of Stouffville".

Back