Toronto 76 Adelaide West Recladding | ?m | 16s | Bell Canada | WZMH

DavidCapizzano

Member Bio
Reaction score
The beautiful mid century facade at 76 Adelaide is getting torn off. Really hoping this isn't going to see a curtainwall reclad similar to the buildings west of here.

IMG_8815.JPG
IMG_8814.JPG
IMG_8811.JPG
IMG_8810.JPG

Marani, Rounthwaite & Dick, 1965. Hopefully the York Wilson mosaics aren’t going anywhere.

This is absolute bullsh*t - Heritage Preservation Services asleep at the wheel, once again. Useless department.

I think that's a bit unfair.

There's nothing for them to do on this one in real time, it's not even listed, let alone designated.

In terms of being proactive, there's a long list of great buildings without protection............

Part of that is funding.........

Part of that is that several councillors have HPS busy designating their entire wards (Matlow would be the highest profile)

I think that's a bit unfair.

There's nothing for them to do on this one in real time, its not even listed, let alone designated.

In terms of being proactive, there's a long list of great buildings without protection............

Part of that is funding.........

Part of that is that several councillors have HPS busy designating their entire wards (Matlow would be the highest profile)

I agree that Council has them overworked doing meaningless batch listings, but this is a clearly-significant mid-century building that has fallen through the cracks. They've been talking for years about improving coordination between heritage evaluation and building permit issuance to prevent these situations from happening, but it seems there has been little if any action on that front, other than the ongoing city-wide heritage survey, which has ambiguous objectives.

Do Bell not own it?

Back