Toronto Hudson's Bay Centre Renovations | 32.87m | 6s | Brookfield | Adamson

HBC's HQ is in the tower at Bay and Queen (401 Bay).

Their secondary office is way out at 8925 Torbram.

View attachment 326217

The Tower at Yonge/Bloor has 4 empty floors out of 35.

They are (last I saw) still actively seeking tenants.

It was fully reno'ed last in 2001 but got new windows more recently.
It's a lovely little brutalist thing. External stair towers and a beautiful, central, winter garden-style space: https://www.avisonyoung.ca/properties?propertyId=8925Torbram-sublease

already but here is a confirmation on the locations of things. The more exciting part is how much more of the retail is now in discussion, s

I always assumed the sign was for the RETAIL component - why would they want to advertise where their corporate HQ is/was?

I mean most companies are usually proud of their HQ and hence why siange is typical on offices.

* cross-posted to Bloor-Yonge Capacity Enhancement Thread *

TTC Agenda for June 16th, 2021 is up.

On said agenda, a report seeking authority to acquire the properties needed for this project (Bloor-Yonge Capacity Enhancement).

Authority would include allowance for expropriation, if needed.

Report here: http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Com...ity Improvements - Main Property Acquisit.pdf

From said report:

1623252258126.png

Note possession of properties required for early works........to be in TTC hands by Q1 2022.

1623252312976.png

In respect of 2 Bloor, the big early work is the need to move the chiller system for the entire property:

1623252396177.png

I assume the above indicates that at least some material portion of the complex is intended to remain; since it would seem foolish to do all that work if the entire thing were coming down.

***Cross-Post from the Retail Thread about Hudson's Bay Company ***

Take this as you will.......

I was speaking to an employee of the chain today..........

I was told the decision to close Bloor Street has been made and is known internally.

I have not yet been able corroborate this; though I think most of us have expected that for awhile.

The person with whom I spoke either did not know, or wouldn't provide a date for said closure.

***Cross-Post from the Retail Thread about Hudson's Bay Company ***

Take this as you will.......

I was speaking to an employee of the chain today..........

I was told the decision to close Bloor Street has been made and is known internally.

I have not yet been able corroborate this; though I think most of us have expected that for awhile.

The person with whom I spoke either did not know, or wouldn't provide a date for said closure.
Not good news for the people who are still employed there...

...that said, I hope they don't plan to leave this building complex to rot after the closure is all done and said.

Last edited:
I’m very interested in what will be done with this site, particularly in relation to the connected (but separately owned) portion of the complex including the W Hotel and the condo 8 Park Road that sits on top of the east side of HBC. Hopefully Brookfield announces something soon. Given that it’s Brookfield, in addition to the location and the other developments of 2 Bloor West, 1 Bloor West, 1 Bloor East, I have high hopes. Construction on this corner won’t end for the next 20 years.

Not good news for the people who are still employed there...

...that said, I hope they don't plan to leave this building complex to rot after the closure is all done and said.
It's definite. The employees got notices a couple of months ago. Haven't heard an official closing date, but I could ask a friend who was one of those notified.

There will no doubt be a big announcement soon enough regarding a reworking of the west half of this complex in conjunction with the TTC's Bloor-Yonge station enlargement. The Larco half to the east will not likely change more than somewhat cosmetically in places, but I would expect something eye-popping for the west half.

I've always though this development was poorly laid out and simply not interesting or worthy of such a dominant intersection in our city. In addition The Bay store here has slowly become less worthy of its name. It seems a difficult site also with the subway etc. However based upon what 42 said I’m exited!

I've always though this development was poorly laid out and simply not interesting or worthy of such a dominant intersection in our city. In addition The Bay store here has slowly become less worthy of its name. It seems a difficult site also with the subway etc. However based upon what 42 said I’m exited!

As part of the negotiations with the City, Brookfield is specifically being asked for architectural/design excellence.

Back