Toronto The Well | 174.03m | 46s | RioCan | Hariri Pontarini

Sunday, June 13 - The Well in the evening sun.

20210613_200610.jpg

I was looking forward for the podium building with the arches from the get go and am so glad it's looking like a show stopper. The materials are top notch.

On an unrelated note, it makes me frustrated that just across the street we have projects doing the bare minimum (see the Taylor, Canada House or the future 400 Front Street) but are still capitalizing on the great neighbourhood forming projects such as the Well and King Toronto etc... Okay, rant over ///

I was looking forward for the podium building with the arches from the get go and am so glad it's looking like a show stopper. The materials are top notch.

On an unrelated note, it makes me frustrated that just across the street we have projects doing the bare minimum (see the Taylor, Canada House or the future 400 Front Street) but are still capitalizing on the great neighbourhood forming projects such as the Well and King Toronto etc... Okay, rant over ///
It's a bit like people who don't want to get vaccinated but counting on others to get vaccinated to reach herd immunity (and back to normal) 😉

To be fair, there's some cheaping out at the Well itself: the white precast concrete above the red brick and low quality window wall on the residential towers.

Looks like cladding has begun on the tallest residential!
View attachment 328101View attachment 328102

Thanks for the update, while not much to go off of yet, it seems to be a dark color, unexpected but I think it could possibly look quite sharp if executed well. I was initially expecting the window wall to be more blue like the office tower due to the renders, but black is a lot harder to mess up than blue would be so probably for the better. I just hope the curtain wall faces on both the north and south sides are more blue like the tower to reign in a consistent design motif, as it may be a little odd if the three residential towers are black while the office is blue. Obviously that wouldn't ruin the overall product, just how I'd probably go about it. Either way it will help keep the complex from being too monotonous, which is a positive.

Anyways for those curious (and impatient for more materials like me) I just used @Huligan 's photo to add more window wall up this side to give an idea of what a black wall would look like.

wellwall.jpg

It's been a frustrating 15+ years (roughly when the boom started) continually criticizing what was being built while pushing for better. Toronto is finally infusing beauty, character, and style into new builds and it's wonderful to see. At this rate, I doubt anyone will be able to call Toronto 'ugly' 15-20 years from now.

Back