Toronto Forêt | 139.26m | 41s | Canderel | BDP Quadrangle

In the article, Matlow says:

“By having three towers, we ended up doing something extraordinary in that something like 44 per cent of the property ended up as open space,” he said.

Can we now declare that the much-maligned "tower-in-the-park" school of urban design is now alive and well in Toronto again? Do the Tall Building Guidelines need to be re-written? Can area planners handle the stress of having to actually think about urban design on a site by site basis instead of always reverting to the enshrined policies? Is this a Pandora box decision that will have long-lasting implications at future LPAT hearings?

Tower in the park is not just about incorporating open space into a site's master plan. It also involved the use of substantive setbacks from the street.

This site's built-up portions won't be setback from the street, so rest assured, it isn't repeating the flaws of the tower-in-the-park design.

Site Plan Approval application submitted:

Development Applications

Updated project description:
Site Plan Approval for a 36-storey mixed-use building having a non-residential gross floor area of 1,733.0 square metres, and a residential gross floor area of 80.491.70 square metres. A total of 1160 residential dwelling units are proposed, of which, 16 will be rental dwelling units.

New Renderings updated and are taken from the Architectural Plans via Site Plan Approval Application:

PLN - Architectural Plans - SEP 22  2021-1.jpg

PLN - Architectural Plans - SEP 22  2021-2.jpg

PLN - Architectural Plans - SEP 22  2021-4.jpg

PLN - Architectural Plans - SEP 22  2021-5.jpg

PLN - Architectural Plans - SEP 22  2021-6.jpg

Well there we go, Canderel has gone ahead and seriously degraded the entire plan just like we expected. Such a damn shame for a development that will be the focus point and anchor for a great neighbourhood.

Looks like we can also confirm this is G+C just looking at the hoffiic design/balcony motif/spandrel lacing a la Y+C Condos and 50 other condo designs they've released over the years.

That's very surprising, doesnt seem like something they would design at all. I still have my suspicions, I feel like there will be a change coming.

I did like previous design iteration better, with the western most tower in a different balcony cladding. Even though the new design still has a difference in the balcony staggering motif here between the two separate block sections, the overall colour scheme now looks like it'll end up being oversaturated and monotonous.

Back