Toronto Eglinton Line 5 Crosstown West Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Agreed; I would not put any parking lots mid-route in Etobicoke. Not even at Jane; the space is available there, but the roads leading there are not very wide and will be additionally clogged by cars going to the parking lot.

The only good place for a parking lot or a parking garage on the Eg West extension, is at Renforth Gateway.
While Mt. Dennis Station will have bicycle parking (limited number), there will be a kiss-'n-ride loop (short-term parking while waiting to pick-up someone) accessible via Photography Drive. However, I'll expect that some will drop-off or pick-up from Eglinton Avenue West itself. This kiss-'n-ride would also serve the GO and UPX station.

I can see another kiss-'n-ride at Renforth Station, that would serve both Mississauga and Toronto.

Metrolinx is holding a virtual open house for the EWLRT. https://blog.metrolinx.com/2021/06/...-extension-as-teams-prepare-for-construction/

And we have our first conceptual rendering of the elevated guideway. I must say, it looks absolutely fantastic IMO. If only we elevated the entire line...

View attachment 326083
I don't understand why we would need 2 parallel guideways, each with its own support columns! And each column is very hefty! This vastly increases the amount of space being used at ground-level.

It's not like we already have elevated structures in the existing subway system that are single columns (hint hint: Old Mill station and bridge)
1623173010663.png

Or it's not like there are subway systems around the world that are able to build fully-fledged subway lines that rest on even smaller and slender"er" columns than even Old Mill station and bridge:
1623174375922.png

I really hope the image in the article is for reference only, and that they actually are able to reduce the amount of space used at ground-level.

I don't understand why we would need 2 parallel guideways, each with its own support columns! And each column is very hefty! This vastly increases the amount of space being used at ground-level.

It's not like we already have elevated structures in the existing subway system that are single columns (hint hint: Old Mill station and bridge)
View attachment 326117

Or it's not like there are subway systems around the world that are able to build fully-fledged subway lines that rest on even smaller and slender"er" columns than even Old Mill station and bridge:
View attachment 326132

I really hope the image in the article is for reference only, and that they actually are able to reduce the amount of space used at ground-level.
Probably indicates that the next station at Scarlett will be a center-platform station. This is normal keep in mind.

1623175761128.png

This is Metrotown Stn in Burnaby, Vancouver. Centre-Platformed station. Paralell guideways upon arrival.

1623175852453.png

Or Patterson one station over.

1623176110276.png

Probably indicates that the next station at Scarlett will be a center-platform station. This is normal keep in mind.

View attachment 326138

This is Metrotown Stn in Burnaby, Vancouver. Centre-Platformed station. Paralell guideways upon arrival.

View attachment 326139

Or Patterson one station over.

View attachment 326140
That's not much clearer. While there are probably engineering reasons why they need to have 2 support columns, the choice of a center platform is... odd at best. Typically its cheaper to have a consistent narrow ROW then have the tracks split up to have a center platform.

^The box girder design with one pullar supporting both tracks appears to favour one single catenary structure. I hope it’s more elegant than Crosstown east.

Having Two separate bridge structures, one for each track, would let more light in from above.

In the end, it’s just a long grey MTO style freeway ramp. While I scoff at some of ML’s design excesses, this is one place where I would be happy if the designers aimed a little higher and created something less utilitarian. Even one or two arty segments would help.

- Paul

^The box girder design with one pullar supporting both tracks appears to favour one single catenary structure. I hope it’s more elegant than Crosstown east.

Having Two separate bridge structures, one for each track, would let more light in from above.

In the end, it’s just a long grey MTO style freeway ramp. While I scoff at some of ML’s design excesses, this is one place where I would be happy if the designers aimed a little higher and created something less utilitarian. Even one or two arty segments would help.

- Paul
Maybe we could name it "Graffiti Viaduct"?

Is there a reason Metrolinx is going with the twin bored tunnels again? I thought they would be going forward in the future with single bore (as in the case with the Scarborough subway extension) in order to reduce costs amongst other reasons.

Is there a reason Metrolinx is going with the twin bored tunnels again? I thought they would be going forward in the future with single bore (as in the case with the Scarborough subway extension) in order to reduce costs amongst other reasons.
Wouldn’t it be because lrt need more height to make room for the over head wires and a single bore can only get so big?

Back